Exporting Drum Sounds from Ableton Live - A Tedious Procedure
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 25-08-2017, 01:27 AM   #1
Schnork
Deep Underground
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 13610
Exporting Drum Sounds from Ableton Live - A Tedious Procedure?

Live only has Audio Tracks and Midi Tracks. On Audio Tracks the source material decides whether a track output is mono or stereo, but somehow Live turn everything into stereo - for example, when you resample from internal tracks or the master track you get a stereo file. Even a record of a mono synth becomes stereo when I resample it into another audio track. Actually dual mono I guess.
Live´s pan pots are actually balance pots, so no use in this case.

Until today this behaviour never really bothered me, but I just bought an Octatrack so I wanted to import my own drum sounds.
Usually I use synths for my drums, mostly Operator in a Drum Rack, but also Waldorf Attack and Tremor.
Sometimes I use 808/606, CR-78 samples, but mostly my own creations.

So I started with filling a Drum Rack with Operator Kicks from my preset library and recorded into an audio track. After splitting and trimming the drum hits, I renamed and consolidated them. The Wav files appear in a folder on my HDD - in stereo. So, I had to export every single drum hit by hand. Live has the option to "convert to mono" in the export dialog. That´s lot´s of clicky clicky. Pretty tedious procedure....

Btw, should´t it work to place a utility device with zero wdth which makes the track mono on an audio track and just resample it? It didn´t work, but maybe I had a mistake somewhere.

Is there any faster way of exporting drum sounds from Ableton?

At least Sample Chains are much faster to export...

Reaper is installed on my wife´s pc, how is the procedure there? Operator would need Rewire, but my all my VST Plugins would work in Reaper.

Last edited by Schnork; 25-08-2017 at 01:35 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
My dog ate my mixing levels
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 01:41 AM   #2
agent
Deep Underground
agent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MC
SEATTLE
MC Status: 526820
Re: Exporting Drum Sounds from Ableton Live - A Tedious Procedure

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
agent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 06:26 AM   #3
Schnork
Deep Underground
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 13610

Ah, nice. I thought about using Ableton´s slice feature, yesterday when I wrote my post but was to tired.
I´ll have to try how to get the slices in mono.

The problem is, if you drop a mono file into Ableton, it stays mono, but if you do any processing whatsoever, you end up with a stereo file with two identical channels. Actually I´m not sure if that could cause any problems, both channels are the same, but what about stereo fx? Also the file is double in size.

So what I got from google, the only solutions would be to use the export function with the box "convert to mono" checked or use the utility device.

Last edited by Schnork; 25-08-2017 at 06:36 AM..

------------------
My dog ate my mixing levels
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 05:28 PM   #4
EKmixmaster
Regular Freak
EKmixmaster will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Maybe this will work for you:
There is a great option in Ableton that allows to export aaaall tracks with just one click. Just choose in export menu "Rendered Track" (on the top of menu) - "All individual tracks" or "Selected tracks only" instead of "Master" which is set by default.

Than the ones you like can be converted to mono (again all at once) with any of numerous file converters. I use dBpoweramp.

Advertisements

EKmixmaster is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote