What are some good NEW ChillStep tunes?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:31 PM   #1
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
"Let beauty loose!" --Nitzer Ebb
MC Status: 8560
Icon5 What are some good NEW ChillStep tunes?

I'm looking for some nice laid-back ChillStep tunes that DO NOT HAVE BROSTEP motifs. I like the Downtempo-ish and Dubstep-ish type of stuff. Wobbles and slow tempo is cool, and of course the heavy bass. Any ideas?

I find the ChillStep genre most gratifying when it's done well.
Any ideas?

Advertisements

------------------
{novel, fresh, different, recent, modern, unexampled}
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:19 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538780
Thanked 6,957 Times in 4,949 Posts
Re: What are some good NEW ChillStep tunes?

This stuff is a bit dark/minimal, but it isn't brostep. I got to see DJ Hops this summer and was blown away.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Daggit (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 06:21 PM   #3
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 107450
Thanked 2,123 Times in 1,382 Posts

I don't actually know what chillstep is, but if you haven't listened to our 60Hz Underground Compilation yet, some of that might fit the bill!

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:13 PM   #4
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute

ChillStep is typically about 60-70 BPM and very slow with very deep and smooth and full bass. With dubstep style snares and it's like if ambient and old school dubstep had a baby. It usually has wobbles and sometimes there's a lead female vocalist. Some of the samples have reverb and it's usually very spacious in terms of production. There's usually some syncopation within the instruments so it's not just boring, if it was sped up, you could dance to it, but it's designed to be slow and deep and cinematic and epic. I'll try to post some examples if I find some.

This has some sorta ChillStep stuff, but I'm wanting to know actual bands:

------------------
Old 07-08-2017, 06:26 AM   #5
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 39960

Is that like Rameses B type stuff? Honestly, the best way to do genre diving is to just pick a solid artist and follow the rabbit hole on Sporify, Pandora, Last.FM, etc. You can even tag-search on Last.FM to locate artists under even the weirdest tags (you know, like chillstep )

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
Daggit (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 09:40 PM   #6
Daggit
Master of the LFO

Thanks Vault O))), I just was hoping for other people's input on which artists are good. It's hard to find artist names on those long 2-hour youtube videos.

Advertisements

------------------