Do music work without the other arts ?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 18-07-2017, 01:19 AM   #1
Khouroux
Granular Poster
Khouroux is a name known to allKhouroux is a name known to allKhouroux is a name known to allKhouroux is a name known to allKhouroux is a name known to allKhouroux is a name known to all
MC Status: 610
Do music work without the other arts ?

This is a weird question, but it really blow my mind (and this question is basically one of the reason of why I'm on this forum).

I'm working now on a project, and in this project, I would like to mix poetry and techno music (and other genre, but this isn't the question), and I started ask myself many questions in relation with that, and in particular that one : can you make a track who isn't, in any way, related with another art than music ?

That would mean that, if there is an album with this track, there wouldn't have a picture on the cover of the album, because it would be graphic art. Obviously, the track couldn't be a song, because if they are lyrics on it, it would be a work of literature/poetry. If you play the track on live, you need to just launch your track and go away from the scene, because it would be theater.

A piece like that would be really experimental :')

And, another question who is related, when you love the work of a musician/group, do you like it "just" for the musical part of his/their work ? Or do you like the aesthetic, the live prestation, the universe they want to set with their music ?

This could be weird questions, but I really want to know (and sorry btw for the possible language error, I'm not bilingual)

Advertisements

Khouroux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 01:28 AM   #2
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6903409
Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,109 Posts
Re: Do music work without the other arts ?

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 08:48 AM   #3
BoJoProductions
Minor Glitch
BoJoProductions is a jewel in the roughBoJoProductions is a jewel in the roughBoJoProductions is a jewel in the roughBoJoProductions is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

For the second question, I think it depends. I think the music is what draws you in to begin with and then often, you get captivated by the world they create or the personality of the artists.

For instance, Foo Fighters - one of my fave rock bands - are far more appealing because of their personalities and the show they put on. I like their music, but the reason i consider them the best band i've seen live is because of the atmosphere and universe they try to create.

I would say the music is the most important part, but an artist can become far more appealing, or least draw you in more, if they create a certain image.

Hope this helps.
BoJoProductions is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 09:45 AM   #4
Cusing Regent
Regular Freak
Cusing Regent will become famous soon enough
San Francisco
MC Status: 60

Album art and music has always gone together. Look at Rolling Stone magazine Top 50 covers, all go back to Elvis.
Cusing Regent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 11:28 AM   #5
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia
MC Status: 2960

You mention poetry. Without poetry there wouldn't be vocal music, so yea, they are all related. Now the real question is how to define art. Some people find boobs hanging from a celling an art.

------------------
Mario D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 11:34 AM   #6
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
"Let beauty loose!" --Nitzer Ebb
MC Status: 8560

I think image is much too overrated. The music is what matters for music purchasing and listening. Too much emphasis on visuals whether video or artwork is what destroys the music industry.

Rolling stone magazine and billboard magazine aren't even music magazines anymore, they are poseur celebrity fashion photo magazines these days.

That being said, I once purchased a very very excellent Orb remix vinyl based upon the artwork. But I have also purchased crap throwaway albums based upon the artwork also.
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 11:42 AM   #7
Khouroux
Granular Poster
Khouroux is a name known to allKhouroux is a name known to allKhouroux is a name known to allKhouroux is a name known to allKhouroux is a name known to allKhouroux is a name known to all

Thanks for your answers ! (I ask the second question because I has an argument with someone who were saying that most of the metal bands were knowed only for the graphic art of their albums and the live prestation, and that most of their music were actually shitty)

I presume that you don't know the french group Stupeflip (who is really popular in France, but not really in other countries) who is popular mainly because of his crazy universe. (Their music is cool, but the fictionnal stories of the fictionnal members are coolest)
If you have the time (especially people who don't speak french), go listen to them ^^ I would like to know what it's like to listen to them without the comprehension of this weird universe !
Old 18-07-2017, 05:23 PM   #8
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 39960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario D View Post
Some people find boobs hanging from a celling an art.
The old 'corpse in the attic' trick, eh?

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 11:01 PM   #9
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18024319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
20% of my vinyl collection

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 03:57 PM   #10
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538780
Thanked 6,957 Times in 4,949 Posts

I pretty sure the cave people who figured out how to sign and make percussion instruments with found objects that was all pretty artsy. Though maybe they were drawing their album art on the cave wall.

While I do agree that these days almost everything seems to be at least a little multimedia, much music has been devoid of multimedia involvement. Like popular folk songs or "pub songs" or whatever you want to call them. These were tunes that everyone just knew and would sign together. They didn't even have a personality of a particular artist attached to them.

Of course it is hard to make a claim on how anything might subconciously affect me, I feel like most of the time when I'm listening to music, I'm pretty focused on just the music. Multi media aspects don't really influence my enjoyment of it.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 09:48 AM   #11
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42387949
Thanked 5,079 Times in 3,313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
20% of my vinyl collection
You have 5 records?

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 04:16 AM   #12
destinationsoun
Minor Glitch
destinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810

I would say there are many examples where I like music because of the other artistic influences and some where it's just simply the music.

I remember when I went to a concert and heard a group. Thought it was the coolest thing ever. Booming bass, loads of energy. But I went home and googled them and realized I liked the energy and atmosphere but the music sucked lol. I was fooled by loud 808 kick drums!

Recently there was an artist that I like some songs but didn't really think the bulk of his albums were for me. Went to see him live and he was so likable as a performer that I learned to like his music because I came to understand his point of view better and then understood his music. But only after I was able to experience his onstage personality.

Third example which probably helps answer your question, I've had plenty of experiences searching the internet for music and simply liked the song for what it was without any preconceived notion due to promo material or loud speakers. A perfect example! I was in a restaurant and heard a song on the overhead speakers. I really liked it and was way into it. I shazamed it and guess who it was.... Vanessa Hudgens.... LOL but hey I like what I like. And it turns out it was the song Sneaker Nights, which was produced by Mark Ronson so it all made sense then.

But yea it's possible, just wonder when someone finds out who the performer is would they be ok putting Vanessa Hudgens on their playlist and bumping it around town with their friends
destinationsoun is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 04:20 AM   #13
destinationsoun
Minor Glitch
destinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Stercogburn View Post
You have 5 records?
Lol
destinationsoun is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 08:17 PM   #14
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18024319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Stercogburn View Post
You have 5 records?
XD

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 08:57 PM   #15
Khouroux
Granular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray medicine View Post
Music can be translated so easily into a visual though, especially time based media, so it seems natural. Synesthetic experiences are more fun imo... Especially when created by a musician who's also a visual artist.
I'm not really a minimalist. Most musician's whose work I enjoy also have amazing visual representation anyway.
And what do you think about music working with other arts, like theatre, or poetry ? It's less usual I think
Old 30-07-2017, 09:24 PM   #16
stray medicine
Savage Mad Cunt
stray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MC
Minneapolis
MC Status: 19360

I'm a multimedia artist, so my focus is in all of it. But it always starts with the music for me, and my visuals are made to serve my music, not the other way around. I went to an art school for a couple years, and all of my art there revolved around my music usually, it's always been about that for me.

Doing the opposite doesn't compromise your artistic integrity in my opinion either though, especially if made for a piece of work that keeps its own artistic integrity. It all comes down to opinion. As an artist, making money on your work should be important if you wish to be able to put in enough time to focus solely on that, but obviously that can take over and become people's only focus rather than the music itself. In my opinion that's what detracts from music more, not the fact that something has visual representation or is influenced by an image. Maybe I'm just being a douchey hipster, idk lol.
stray medicine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to stray medicine
A.M (30-07-2017)
Old 31-07-2017, 09:12 AM   #17
Bluesh1ft
Knob Twiddler
Bluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond repute
In another world, usually
MC Status: 2160

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray medicine View Post
I'm a multimedia artist, so my focus is in all of it. But it always starts with the music for me, and my visuals are made to serve my music, not the other way around. I went to an art school for a couple years, and all of my art there revolved around my music usually, it's always been about that for me.

Doing the opposite doesn't compromise your artistic integrity in my opinion either though, especially if made for a piece of work that keeps its own artistic integrity. It all comes down to opinion. As an artist, making money on your work should be important if you wish to be able to put in enough time to focus solely on that, but obviously that can take over and become people's only focus rather than the music itself. In my opinion that's what detracts from music more, not the fact that something has visual representation or is influenced by an image. Maybe I'm just being a douchey hipster, idk lol.
May I just Say you have my favorite avatar on the forums. Did you make it by chance?
Bluesh1ft is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 12:48 PM   #18
stray medicine
Savage Mad Cunt
stray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MC
Minneapolis
MC Status: 19360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesh1ft View Post
May I just Say you have my favorite avatar on the forums. Did you make it by chance?
I wish haha

Advertisements

stray medicine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote