Twisted way to use Effect Plugins or hardware
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 20-03-2017, 10:38 AM   #1
GrownRecords
Learning The Ropes
GrownRecords has a spectacular aura aboutGrownRecords has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160
Twisted way to use Effect Plugins or hardware

Hi there ,

I create this place for us to share tips about how to use effect in a twisted way, to create unique sounds.

I start first with convolution reverb , lot of us knows them but did you try to use it in a different way ?

here is the tip, just use a sample as an Imulse response that was not meant to be used this way.

For exemple you can test using a long screaming as an impulse response in IR1 or altiverb, and send something to feed it (insert or send ).

I let you discover what kind of sound you can obtain this way !

I let you share your twisted way to use FX here !

Have a nice day !

Rod / Label Manager / Grown Records

Advertisements

GrownRecords is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to GrownRecords
Daggit (14-09-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 09:00 PM   #2
waffleberry
Radial Developer
waffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MC
MC Status: 132634
Re: Twisted way to use Effect Plugins or hardware

I've been using convolution for distortion emulation/resampling variations rather than reverb 'impulses' as come with FL studio. Very fun! (f*g)(T)=|f(t)g(T-t) dt, if you use math software you can play around with slashing formula modulators into the output function - make sure you have a limiter on..

------------------
waffleberry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to waffleberry
Daggit (07-09-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 02:42 AM   #3
Theoctavist
Regular Freak
Theoctavist is just really niceTheoctavist is just really niceTheoctavist is just really niceTheoctavist is just really nice
MC Status: 360

I have a modified acoustic guitar..

on the headstock of this guitar I have mounted a high output/sensitivity speaker/voice coil.

driven by an amplifier that is being fed from the Aux Sends of my console

I tune every string the same (they are the highest string in a bass guitar set..6 of them)

, to the fundamental of whatever song I am recording. when a section in the song comes by that features that fundamental prominently, it excites the strings, makes the axial modes of the guitar body go crazy, and sounds a bit sitar-drone ish.. but much deeper. I then mic it up and record, mix to taste. sometimes I will send THAT sound back out to an amplifer or another speaker driver...mounted into a piano body , near the strings. interesting stuff
Theoctavist is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:45 AM   #4
Theoctavist
Regular Freak
Theoctavist is just really niceTheoctavist is just really niceTheoctavist is just really niceTheoctavist is just really nice
MC Status: 360

check out vimeo using the search "tonespace"
tonespace is a PHENOMENAL free plugin. really cool sounds

I also take found sounds/field recordings, open in melodyne, save as midi, and then use that midi file to trigger some VST instrument.

real cool
Theoctavist is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:29 AM   #5
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 21010

Take the compressor in Izotope Alloy 2 with a hot signal, get it compressing, then turn release all the way down. Huge, hard distortion.

------------------
Also, check this out. Updated 10-27-17.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:42 AM   #6
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 19660

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
Take the compressor in Izotope Alloy 2 with a hot signal, get it compressing, then turn release all the way down. Huge, hard distortion.
you can do this with any tube compressor its known as clipping or clip compression.
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:11 PM   #7
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 51860
Thanked 1,037 Times in 764 Posts

Not sure it's a twisted use, but Permut8 is a neat little plugin that will make all sorts of weird bitcrushed noise from whatever you feed it. If you know about COH and his work, you'll instantly recognize the sound. Another wonderfully weird FX plugin is The Finger. You feed it a signal and it is a playable FX engine, somewhat geared towards glitchy stuff, but not exclusively. Stutter Edit works in much the same way and could be regarded as a bit more powerful. Also playable in a way is Turnado.
For all sorts of weird mayhem in hardware I have an FX chain going into a Rainbow Machine followed by Red Panda Particle. Everything can sound weird.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:50 PM   #8
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8310

Sometimes I use the black keys on my keyboard.

------------------
Try a lowpassed square wave, moron.

Also, buy my God damn music, please.
Bipolar Joe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Bipolar Joe
iDoG (12-09-2017)
Old 14-09-2017, 04:53 PM   #9
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
"Let beauty loose!" --Nitzer Ebb
MC Status: 8560

In the past I used a Realistic brand 10 band EQ as a guitar distortion pedal.

If you adjusted the EQ a certain way, it sounded really nice as a fuzz when overdriven.
Also, if you routed drums from a drum machine into it, and turned off the power while it was still receiving signal, it made this awesome modulated bitcrush type of sound.

I should probably buy one of those to do it again.

------------------
{novel, fresh, different, recent, modern, unexampled}
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 09:13 AM   #10
knfrm
IDMf's latest spammer
knfrm is currently spamming hard
Germany
MC Status: 10

The compressor in iZotope Trash 2 is also really gritty sounding when you crank the gain. I'll often use this in place of any saturation algorithms, depending on the sound and desired result of course.

As well, GlitchMachines make some awesome distortion and delay plugins, they don't need much adjustment to make some mad sounds and textures.

Advertisements

knfrm is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote