NIN - Not The Actual Events EP
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Industrial / EBM / Power Electronics Discussion of music similar to Nine Inch Nails, Skinny Puppy, Throbbing Gristle.

Old 22-12-2016, 09:29 PM   #1
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45941831
Thanked 5,673 Times in 3,575 Posts
NIN - Not The Actual Events EP

Kind of surprised this hasn't been brought up here. I bought it for my wife for Xmas cuz she's a fan. I'm sort of a half-ass fan of Reznor but only like a few songs here and there. I just got the download done for the new ep and I have to say it's pretty good. i really don't know how the guy utilizes his giant wall of modulars and big room full of gear to make these somewhat pedestrian sounds, I mean does it really take that much gear to make what he does? Just curious on that. Anyway, it's not bad at all. The single they have out isn't indicative of the other 4 tracks, it's the noisiest, most inaccessible track.

Advertisements

Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 11:13 PM   #2
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
oDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond repute
Colorado Springs, CO
MC Status: 5460
Re: NIN - Not The Actual Events EP

I haven't heard it but I'm looking forward to it.

Also, I think he mostly just uses the Moog Voyager...or at least that used to be his primary synth.

------------------
Anybody can be good at something but it takes real effort to suck as bad as I do.
oDDgOD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to oDDgOD
Numerical (24-12-2016)
Old 22-12-2016, 11:34 PM   #3
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39280899
Thanked 1,167 Times in 750 Posts

I was tempted to buy it, but really wanted to hear some of it first. So, thanks for linking that track.

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 01:24 AM   #4
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 29810

I was on board until the Steve Vai-esqe wanking and the usual "Trent wants to be a singer" stuff happened, both of which made me giggle and sort of stop paying as much attention. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be hearing besides the fat, busy mids kindly obscuring NIN rock song #273.

90% of his stuff is so rooted in a pop/rock mindset that I just can't get into it. The other 10% where he's really out there and experimenting and playing nice piano and managing not to sing at me, that I can really dig. Ghosts was the only thing in recent history that did much for me as an NIN album, which probably means I'm not all that big a NIN fan anymore. I'll probably buy the EP to have it, but I'm not holding out much hope of it blowing me away.
Artificer is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
D42K732202 (25-12-2016)
Old 23-12-2016, 07:25 PM   #5
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39280899
Thanked 1,167 Times in 750 Posts

Listening to it on the way to work. Really digging it for the most part, except for some small moments here and there. A lot of the elements sound like after Alan Vega died Trent went and pulled back out some Suicide for relistening and wanted to capture a part of that sound. Also sounding like he's getting back into more of the low-level melodic composition and sound design. Which I think is great since he's really good at it.

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to candlesayshi
Numerical (24-12-2016)
Old 24-12-2016, 01:55 AM   #6
rewir3d
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
rewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MC
Anal Leakage SJW 2016
MC Status: 3063619

Took me a bit too start feeling this but damn it sounds fantastic to me. White noise, distortion, dark atmospheres, abrasive mids, and dirty mastering. .
rewir3d is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 05:25 AM   #7
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45941831
Thanked 5,673 Times in 3,575 Posts

The track with Dave Grohl on drums is excellent. I've given this about ten spins and it's easily the best track imo. Great bass lines all around. I'm on the fence with alot of the vocals, seems like he's keeping those a bit more in the background and letting the instruments be the foreground of the tunes.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:48 AM   #8
jbateman904
Learning The Ropes
jbateman904 will become famous soon enough
Jacksonville FL USA
MC Status: 60

Interesting, I despised this EP so much. I loved Hestitation Marks immensedly, this is sort of on The Slip level in my bok.... but at least TS had Discipline and Head Dow.

Dunno why, I don't care for the tunes or the goofiness this time around. Checked on Spotify first and I'm very fortunate to have done so. Hopefully I never have to hear it again...
jbateman904 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jbateman904
Nystagmus (15-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 11:41 PM   #9
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1532177
Thanked 1,879 Times in 1,208 Posts

I got most of the way through the initially released tune and decided to start playing guitar instead.

as a result I wrote, recorded and mixed an ep for a new project to be released Jan 20.

I've not gone back to the NIN release.

\_(ツ)_/

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 02:37 AM   #10
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105317639

I've listened to it 3 times now and I just get into it. And as much as I hate to say it but I think Trent should keep that energy focused into film scoring because I believe his musical aptitude is complimented and accentuated through his scores, Not that NIN is old hat or anything but I believe its not aesthetically doing him any favors.

Now the fragile instrumentals is very nice. <3

Advertisements

jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote