Foley Manipulation
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 11-05-2016, 07:07 PM   #1
ILikeHorses
Granular Poster
ILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810
Foley Manipulation

I'm a huge Amon Tobin fan and still learning my way through messing with Foley recordings, mainly inspired by Amon but i just have 1 problem. When he pitches up and down his foley recordings, they keep that same original "texture" to them, how he does it ? is it analog gear ? or the quality of the sample that matters ? usually if i play with their pitch they tend to lose quality and sound muddy and weak out of their original key, . Could anyone help me in this ? how can i mess with the pitch and keep the sound characteristics ?

Advertisements

ILikeHorses is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:14 PM   #2
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59410
Thanked 1,188 Times in 790 Posts
Foley Manipulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeHorses View Post
I'm a huge Amon Tobin fan and still learning my way through messing with Foley recordings, mainly inspired by Amon but i just have 1 problem. When he pitches up and down his foley recordings, they keep that same original "texture" to them, how he does it ? is it analog gear ? or the quality of the sample that matters ? usually if i play with their pitch they tend to lose quality and sound muddy and weak out of their original key, . Could anyone help me in this ? how can i mess with the pitch and keep the sound characteristics ?

In you simply pitch up or down any audio sample it will rise or fall in pitch depending on which way you go. At the same time it will slow down or speed up.
If you want to keep the original pitch/characteristics then you need something like Abletons warp feature and you need to select the right warping mode depending on what kind of effect you want to achieve.

Not sure what the equivalent is in FL but I'm sure some other users here can give you some insight into that...

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:59 PM   #3
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38897
Re: Foley Manipulation

You can try to use distortion, EQ and filters to get it sound crispier.

------------------
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 10:09 AM   #4
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7237279

Quote:
When he pitches up and down his foley recordings, they keep that same original "texture" to them, how he does it?
Probably granular synthesis - with grains long enough. Something like IL Harmor or other resynthesis plugin could work.

Quote:
is it analog gear?
No. Shifting stuff around with a frequency shifter would be a major pain in the ass.

Quote:
The quality of the sample that matters?
If pitching things down, yes. Sample rate matters.

----------

It's notable that Tobin uses Hakeen Audio Continuum a lot, and probably the built-in engines for sample mangling. It's completely out of the cost bracket of mortals, of course, but I'd assume that the algorithms are rather basic granular stuff. Trying to control a granular synth with an expressive MIDI controller, such as Linnstrument/EWI Wind controller may get you there.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 10:12 AM   #5
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts

I would definitely look into granular synthesis. A whole new world will appear.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
Vault O))) (20-06-2017)
Old 14-05-2016, 08:33 AM   #6
Praxisaxis
Knob Twiddler
Praxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 5760

I too was going to say granular

Get Reaktor ;0)

------------------
-----------------------------
PRAXIS AXIS
Beatport
Here's a new tune:
Praxisaxis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 09:42 AM   #7
Cat3
Deep Underground
Cat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MC
MC Status: 13439

according to amon's interviews this is what he uses

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

pretty expensive though....

------------------
Cat3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Cat3
Vault O))) (13-05-2017)
Old 13-05-2017, 03:45 PM   #8
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 19660

harmour is awsome for foley work
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 05:17 AM   #9
Failsafe
Granular Poster
Failsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat3 View Post
according to amon's interviews this is what he uses

symbolicsound.com/cgi-bin/bin/view/Products/Pacarana

pretty expensive though....
Yeah I've looked into this before, it's fucking ridiculous. Essentially a really powerful computer entirely programmed for sound design..
Failsafe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 06:49 PM   #10
NavigationGuild
IDMf's latest spammer
NavigationGuild will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Hey hey...

I'm brand new around here, but not to production.

(Using Ableton)
What I do with Foley a lot, is...

Put them into drum racks.
Map sample cutoff to macro 1, resonance to macro 2, transpose to macro 3, and mess around with a couple other mappings. From there, I put an arpeggiator on the channel and mess with distance and gate values.

I use a Push2, so I can physically play the manipulations and it gets a human and musical flow to the changes of pitch and whatnot. I can get some really beautiful, percussive and melodic elements this way. All using just random Foley sounds.

Many times, this is the basis of my percussion. It adds a lot of character and "randomness" without really being random at all. A little delay, a little verb, eq, and compress, and bam...it can be pretty cool results relatively quickly.

Ymmv, though.
NavigationGuild is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to NavigationGuild
Vault O))) (20-06-2017)
Old 20-06-2017, 03:34 PM   #11
ambtconnoisseur
Minor Glitch
ambtconnoisseur is a jewel in the roughambtconnoisseur is a jewel in the roughambtconnoisseur is a jewel in the roughambtconnoisseur is a jewel in the rough
Maryland
MC Status: 310

Since a few people on here are recommending granular synths, I wholeheartedly suggest Soundmorph's Dust. It's fairly new, $100, but well worth it. Great for live stuff too. Sound Guru's The Mangle is also good and much cheaper. I'm not sure if either of these will achieve the sound you are looking for, but if you load the right samples and tweak the right settings, who knows.
ambtconnoisseur is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 03:36 PM   #12
Kenophos
Granular Poster
Kenophos is a splendid one to beholdKenophos is a splendid one to beholdKenophos is a splendid one to beholdKenophos is a splendid one to beholdKenophos is a splendid one to beholdKenophos is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 660

If I remember correctly Robert Henke used a trick where he recorded foley sounds in a ridiculous sample rate (e.g. something like 192khz) and then pitched them down to a rate of 48khz (so 4x slower). That way the sound retains the full audible range of human hearing, so it sounds better.

Update: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

------------------
Soundcloud / Bandcamp (to be found here: ambient/drone/glitch/techno/IDM)
Kenophos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote