Paradiddles and rhythm patterns
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 28-06-2015, 09:37 PM   #1
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80992030
Thanked 4,036 Times in 2,615 Posts
Paradiddles and rhythm patterns

Hey, I was working on my stick control with some paradiddle exercises that I got off google images and I thought the rhythms that you get out of those are pretty neat. It sings in some way

'thought I'd share

see, that part that's underlined is pretty cool with the right hand hitting one-one-two and the left hand answering right away with its own one-one-two pattern

Advertisements

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 09:44 PM   #2
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389648
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,760 Posts
Re: Paradiddles and rhythm patterns

Oh, these give me flashbacks.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 09:50 PM   #3
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC

haha yes exactly
but I think there's something musical in these patterns and since everyone doesn't play an instrument on here, it may be interesting for some

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Old 28-06-2015, 10:19 PM   #4
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153460
Thanked 3,069 Times in 2,152 Posts

Maybe I'd have to play it to get it. Will it work on a djembe? My drums are in storage.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 10:52 PM   #5
Lug
Soxdix

yes, it would even work on your lap

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Thanks to Lug
Kvlt O))) (29-06-2015)
Old 29-06-2015, 02:50 PM   #6
MonoReaction
Granular Poster
MonoReaction is a name known to allMonoReaction is a name known to allMonoReaction is a name known to allMonoReaction is a name known to allMonoReaction is a name known to allMonoReaction is a name known to all
Brasília
MC Status: 610

Thank you for that, that's really cool. It's funny because last week I've started studying rhythm back from the very basics to help me have a stronger foundation, so these will surely come handy!

------------------------------
soundcloud.com/monoreaction
MonoReaction is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 06:58 PM   #7
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

I'm like trying to understand this post

edit: Oh well it was easier then at first glance
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:03 PM   #8
Lug
Soxdix

I read a bit of Messiaen's seven-volume "treatise on rhythm, color, and ornithology". The few I've read from the rhythm part was very interesting.

He was talking about indian rhythmic patterns that don't really fit in a particular time signature but seem to rest on sung patterns. I noted one in particular that looked something like this

where it's a repetition of two notes (or hits or whatever) with the first one gradually augmenting its time value (8th / 4th / dotted 4th, and back) while the second remains constant.

He went on to discuss musical translation of greek poetic rhythms

http://antoinepelegrin.com/wp-conten...re-page-11.jpg

I only read five pages and already it opened so many doors

Last edited by Lug; 14-05-2016 at 06:50 PM..

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Old 23-05-2016, 01:51 PM   #9
N-BDY
Regular Freak
N-BDY has a spectacular aura aboutN-BDY has a spectacular aura aboutN-BDY has a spectacular aura about
Helsinki
MC Status: 210

Thanks for the Messiaen hint! Found a pdf of Vol 1 and it states: "in the Beginning there was Rhythm"

As a drummer, I totally agree.

If you're into drumming and stuff the teachers make novice students learn, there's a very basic book called Syncopation, which brakes down basically all conceivable syncopations in basic 3/4, 2/4 time signatures. Syncopation according to Wikipedia: "syncopation involves a variety of rhythms which are in some way unexpected which make part or all of a tune or piece of music off-beat. More simply, syncopation is a general term for "a disturbance or interruption of the regular flow of rhythm"

Theres a pdf online for that too...
N-BDY is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to N-BDY
Lug (01-06-2016)
Old 21-02-2017, 02:27 PM   #10
Lug
Soxdix

got this book last year, lend it to a friend who just gave it back a few weeks ago. [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Exercises in rhythm in all subdivisions and in many different time signatures, and mixed meters. Interesting patterns, sometimes truly musical. Satisfaction over the drills.

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Old 21-02-2017, 08:29 PM   #11
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris
MC Status: 14960

Oh that's a cool looking book !

Advertisements

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I will now only post pictures of my boner if I make it to 10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If you drop the beat it's just called noise, you trendy fuck.

Chozo Tull is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote