Desktop or laptop?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Technology & Lifestyle Gadgets, gaming, computers and new inventions. This forum is not used for music production.

Old 26-09-2014, 04:29 PM   #1
babybrown
Minor Glitch
babybrown has a spectacular aura aboutbabybrown has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160
Desktop or laptop?

What is your guys' preference?

I personally use a Desktop for music production.

Advertisements

babybrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
AlphaQuadrant66
Master of the LFO
AlphaQuadrant66 has a brilliant futureAlphaQuadrant66 has a brilliant futureAlphaQuadrant66 has a brilliant futureAlphaQuadrant66 has a brilliant futureAlphaQuadrant66 has a brilliant futureAlphaQuadrant66 has a brilliant futureAlphaQuadrant66 has a brilliant futureAlphaQuadrant66 has a brilliant futureAlphaQuadrant66 has a brilliant futureAlphaQuadrant66 has a brilliant futureAlphaQuadrant66 has a brilliant future
Westfalen
MC Status: 1760
Re: Desktop or Labtop..!

Desktop of course, much bigger screen and better hardware.

------------------
http://www.last.fm/music/Alpha+Quadrant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-ohoLNTrrk
Apparently the world is an orchestra of assholes, and they're playing in concert. ( hellsicon )
AlphaQuadrant66 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to AlphaQuadrant66
Nystagmus (03-12-2015)
Old 26-09-2014, 09:27 PM   #3
Trebesch
Trebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MC
Isle of Skye
MC Status: 8598981

Laptops are overpriced. The only reason I'd have one is if I traveled a lot.
Trebesch is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Trebesch
Nystagmus (03-12-2015)
Old 26-09-2014, 09:48 PM   #4
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 107300
Thanked 2,120 Times in 1,381 Posts

I don't think it really makes a difference? Get what you want - they both work. Do you want to be portable? Not? What's your budget/etc?
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Oatbag
Vlantis (09-10-2014)
Old 26-09-2014, 10:00 PM   #5
AlphaQuadrant66
Master of the LFO
AlphaQuadrant66 has a brilliant futureAlphaQuadrant66 has a brilliant futureAlphaQuadrant66 has a brilliant futureAlphaQuadrant66 has a brilliant futureAlphaQuadrant66 has a brilliant futureAlphaQuadrant66 has a brilliant futureAlphaQuadrant66 has a brilliant futureAlphaQuadrant66 has a brilliant futureAlphaQuadrant66 has a brilliant futureAlphaQuadrant66 has a brilliant futureAlphaQuadrant66 has a brilliant future
Westfalen
MC Status: 1760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebesch View Post
Laptops are overpriced. The only reason I'd have one is if I traveled a lot.
Not only that but they are difficult to repair, PCs oth are easy (except mainboard is broken)

------------------
http://www.last.fm/music/Alpha+Quadrant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-ohoLNTrrk
Apparently the world is an orchestra of assholes, and they're playing in concert. ( hellsicon )
AlphaQuadrant66 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 06:18 PM   #6
bass&moddedFreq
Ghostly
bass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant future
Long Island, New York
MC Status: 1910

It's personal choice.... I got both, but my desktop stop working a little bit ago so I gotta get that fixed... with that said even when both were working I used my laptop more just because I would play around when I was at friends houses or when I have breaks at college.... if you want to be able to produce or work on tracks where ever you go then go with a good laptop if you got the $$

------------------
bass&moddedFreq is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 07:48 PM   #7
babybrown
Minor Glitch
babybrown has a spectacular aura aboutbabybrown has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass&moddedFreq View Post
It's personal choice.... I got both, but my desktop stop working a little bit ago so I gotta get that fixed... with that said even when both were working I used my laptop more just because I would play around when I was at friends houses or when I have breaks at college.... if you want to be able to produce or work on tracks where ever you go then go with a good laptop if you got the $$
I think that's the deal isn't it? Laptops are what's up if you have to travel and produce...
babybrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 09:56 PM   #8
Zigg
Granular Poster
Zigg is a name known to allZigg is a name known to allZigg is a name known to allZigg is a name known to allZigg is a name known to allZigg is a name known to all
MC Status: 560

I want a laptop so I can be portable enough with my music to sit in a Starbucks and blast brostep through some dr dre beats mixer headphones.
Zigg is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Zigg
Blingley (03-11-2014)
Old 28-09-2014, 01:03 PM   #9
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010

I have a laptop and I probably always will because I have the irrepressible desire to be mobile. Really, I hate having the feeling I can't move this thing even if I would never have to. My laptop is used for so many (personal) things that I just want to be able to take it with me.
Also, it's kind of necessary as I need a compact setup to play with a friend / live. Wouldn't want to spend and maintain two high-performance machines.

It's a simple personal choice: if you don't need portability at all, go for a desktop; it's cheaper, better (mobile design sacrifices performance) and better maintainable. If you want to be mobile; get a laptop.

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nyul
stray medicine (13-04-2016)
Old 28-09-2014, 01:08 PM   #10
Abfahrt Yeah!
Minor Glitch
Abfahrt Yeah! has a spectacular aura aboutAbfahrt Yeah! has a spectacular aura aboutAbfahrt Yeah! has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

At the moment, I'm sitting on my balcony making music in the sun. You COULD do this with a desktop if you can handle the cables
Abfahrt Yeah! is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 01:48 PM   #11
JET-Zet studio
Minor Glitch
JET-Zet studio is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Re: Desktop or laptop?

Desktop only!
JET-Zet studio is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 07:55 AM   #12
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42387899
Thanked 5,078 Times in 3,312 Posts

Unless a need for mobility, desktop all the way. That said, I have both. The laptop may get replaced soon.

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 09:32 AM   #13
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts

Both.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
bass&moddedFreq (04-10-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #14
bass&moddedFreq
Ghostly
bass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant future
Long Island, New York
MC Status: 1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigg View Post
I want a laptop so I can be portable enough with my music to sit in a Starbucks and blast brostep through some dr dre beats mixer headphones.
No, no you don't.... I rarely go to 5bucks but I don't need to see someone blasting some WIP while I'm getting my coffee.. lol I call it 5bucks because u can go in w/o spending 5bucks

------------------
bass&moddedFreq is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:03 PM   #15
Cynos
Microknight
Cynos is a splendid one to beholdCynos is a splendid one to beholdCynos is a splendid one to beholdCynos is a splendid one to beholdCynos is a splendid one to beholdCynos is a splendid one to behold
San Carlos de Bariloche
MC Status: 660

I used a desktop PC, but since 2012, I use more my laptop.

------------------
SC - dA
Cynos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:59 PM   #16
Dirty32
Radial Developer
Dirty32 has a spectacular aura aboutDirty32 has a spectacular aura about
Brussels

If you mean especially for music production, then it's desktop for me. I'm afraid of the fragility of laptops.
But I've already made something during my vacation with a laptop. I went crazy without a mouse...

------------------
Dirty32 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:40 PM   #17
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

I like having the best of both worlds. Being able to sprawl out with a big screen and get more bang for your buck with a desktop is just as good as paying more for something small you can actually take with you on the go. In my experiences though, laptops usually give me more trouble and throw off way too much heat, but I'm a bit of a bargain hunter.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:37 PM   #18
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 19460

I use my desktop, but I will use laptop if I have ideas on the go. You never know when inspiration will hit you, so I carry my laptop as a pad to jot down ideas.

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:13 PM   #19
r3currsion
Regular Freak
r3currsion is currently spamming hard
Boston
MC Status: 10

PC's with buffed up soundcards allow higher sound buffer settings. Also there is less static that comes from the USB or Audio jack ports.

The latter is important if you are using high quality Monitors.
r3currsion is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 01:05 AM   #20
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 107300
Thanked 2,120 Times in 1,381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3currsion View Post
PC's with buffed up soundcards allow higher sound buffer settings. Also there is less static that comes from the USB or Audio jack ports.

The latter is important if you are using high quality Monitors.
You could argue the opposite - putting the soundcard inside a noisey EM environment (PC) adds more noise than an external on USB. Basically - it doesn't matter, get whatever's more convenient for you.

Advertisements

Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote