Where would I start with modular synthesis?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Modular software & programming MaxMSP, Reaktor, Pure Data, Jeskola BUZZ, and other modular programs. Any questions relating to these programs (patching, favorite ensembles) should be posted in this forum.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:23 AM   #1
Paraxidor
Microknight
Paraxidor is a jewel in the roughParaxidor is a jewel in the roughParaxidor is a jewel in the roughParaxidor is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310
Where would I start with modular synthesis?

I've never touched this kinda stuff in my life and wouldnt even know where to begin in making my a setup. Any advice?

Advertisements

------------------
Mediocre electronic music from an unknown guy on the internet, what's new?
Paraxidor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #2
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18024269
Re: Where would I start with modular synthesis?

you mean you want to build a modular hardware synth?
like this:

if so then you would probably get better replies in the hardware forum here:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

any mods wana move this?

but i think the best place to start would be a budget and an idea of what kind of modules you will need.
you will probably want at least one oscillator, filter, an amplifier, a keyboard, some envelopes/LFOs, a case, power supply e.t.c., but most of these are just suggestions (the glory of modular).

maybe this would be a good read?

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:12 PM   #3
M4R71N
Granular Poster
M4R71N has a spectacular aura aboutM4R71N has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

Try the Muffwiggler forum, it's the place to be if you want to learn about modular synth. I will also recommend you to know what you want to do with the synth (Drones, trad synthesis, glitchy stuff), you can do a lot a of things with a few piece of modules.
M4R71N is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:08 AM   #4
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1532077
Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraxidor View Post
I've never touched this kinda stuff in my life and wouldnt even know where to begin in making my a setup. Any advice?
unless you have lots of expendable income I would recommend NOT starting.

From what i understand its easier to quit smoking crack than it is quit buying modules.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
Parricide (10-05-2014)
Old 10-05-2014, 05:37 AM   #5
Roland_Abuser
Radial Developer
Roland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to behold
Good `Ol Yorkshire
MC Status: 760

Not sure if you mean that you want to actually want to buy a full modular hardware beast or just try and learn what modular is all about and give things a try so apologise if this isn't relevant. In case it is, ill post it anyways....

I was in a similar position not long ago. I had learnt bits about synthesis but my goto had always been 303 emulations. When it came to non 303 type synthesis, modular for some reason got me interested. I did some research and bought KarmaFX vst. For a simple piece of software, the amount of routing, modulation and most importantly learning that you can do is amazing (and very accessible). Now im glad i chose to learn with something modular rather than a standard subtractive vst and am craving modular hardware!
Roland_Abuser is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #6
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389648
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraxidor View Post
VCO.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:07 PM   #7
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8529430
Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedestroy View Post

From what i understand its easier to quit smoking crack than it is quit buying modules.
Yea...start with a low interest bank loan...

muffwigglers is probably a good place to look for info. I almost took the dive recently but have realized I dont need to go that route to do what I want to do. Feel like I dodged a bullet there as my gear lust is bad enough thanks...but muffwigglers had all the info I felt I needed to start.

Last edited by relic; 10-05-2014 at 02:12 PM..

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:14 PM   #8
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18024269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
VCO...
...straight into the computer to be changed using software to save a few kilobucks

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Parricide
Evelon (10-05-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 01:26 PM   #9
Ed Nomi
Analog Lurker
Ed Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud of
Antwerp
MC Status: 1310

I started with a semi-modular Doepfer Dark Energy, its small not overly expensive and combines well with a Dark Time (which was my second by).

They're both great in the aspect of using them with your computer, the dark time can sequence soft-synths and so on...

After you understand some of the modular basics you can buy a case and start adding modules which expand the dark energy, like an oscillator, modulation sources,...
The Dark Energy acts as midi/USB to CV converter and is mobile if you want to use it in a live situation.
Ed Nomi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:39 PM   #10
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744023091
Thanked 7,113 Times in 4,430 Posts

You could obviously start with software.

or start semi-modular with something like ACE or Bazille.

------------------
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:47 PM   #11
Ed Nomi
Analog Lurker
Ed Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud of
Antwerp
MC Status: 1310

'[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
' runs on multiple platform and is also nice to get into modulars on the software side of things!

The pixitracker 1 bit and 16 bit are very cool too

Last edited by Ed Nomi; 04-07-2014 at 11:34 PM.. Reason: sunvox link added
Ed Nomi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Ed Nomi
lolirl (03-07-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 01:58 PM   #12
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744023091
Thanked 7,113 Times in 4,430 Posts

------------------
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 08:13 PM   #13
theycallmegav
Analog Lurker
theycallmegav has a spectacular aura abouttheycallmegav has a spectacular aura abouttheycallmegav has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post

Agreed, wish I could. Would love this machines around my house lol

------------------
theycallmegav is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 10:12 PM   #14
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269454658
Thanked 2,621 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post

I'm a success story, I quit.

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 05:04 AM   #15
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8748

click "modular". Click "best rated " and you're set.

Advertisements

jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote