New VS Used Gear
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 18-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
bass&moddedFreq
Ghostly
bass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant future
Long Island, New York
MC Status: 1910
New VS Used Gear

Hey guys i was searching around the forum to try to find some information so if there is a forum with this already just link...but.... Here's the deal:

I'm looking to upgrade my sound at my house. I don't have proper producing set up what so ever. So I want to invest in an audio interface for my Desktop and monitors to go with.

Now the real question is, should one buy used or new? What i would think would be used for the audio interface and new for speakers but I just don't know how long speakers last to be all honest.

So what would you do or what have you done in the past? I'm trying to to do it on the cheaper side since I don't have that much disposable income as of right now (maybe that will change).

Advertisements

------------------
bass&moddedFreq is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to bass&moddedFreq
statisticquill (24-10-2013)
Old 18-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538480
Thanked 6,951 Times in 4,945 Posts
Re: New VS Used Gear

I think your logic is pretty sound. An interface, seems to me, more resilient to use/time. Though I know many people have success purchasing used monitors as well.

I've owned two new interfaces and one used one. The used one is technically the highest quality and has the most options. Its a tank and it still preforms like a beast. I've only ever purchased new monitors. They are one piece of gear I'm just going to go new with. That's just my preference, but I've bought a lot, a lot of used and some vintage gear. With a combo of luck and and thought/care buying used has helped me build a set up I could never afford new.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45942931
Thanked 5,695 Times in 3,587 Posts

Depends on where and how you acquire the used gear but ftmp I'd say yeah it's probably better to go used, monitors or interface. If it's something like craigslist make sure you know the thing works beforehand by asking for a video/audio recording using the thing and giving it a good once over to make sure it isn't fucked up. I've bought amps and guitar cabs that way, and the guys I bought those from let me come over to their house to try the things out before handed over money. Of course those were big investments. I hear people saying dont let people come over to your house and such but with that kind of thing it's almost necessary over just meeting in a parking lot.

With ebay, you have buyer protection but make sure you dont do the gift option. That's fucked people I know in the past.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
Depends on where and how you acquire the used gear but ftmp I'd say yeah it's probably better to go used, monitors or interface. If it's something like craigslist make sure you know the thing works beforehand by asking for a video/audio recording using the thing and giving it a good once over to make sure it isn't fucked up. I've bought amps and guitar cabs that way, and the guys I bought those from let me come over to their house to try the things out before handed over money. Of course those were big investments. I hear people saying dont let people come over to your house and such but with that kind of thing it's almost necessary over just meeting in a parking lot.

With ebay, you have buyer protection but make sure you dont do the gift option. That's fucked people I know in the past.
Yea. Basically if you buy used be smart about it. eBay and Paypal have built in protection for all parties involved. Also, reading reviews and forum threads on gear is helpful. Many pieces of hardware of particular issues to be aware of. The more knowledgeable you are, the better chance you have of knowing what to look for with a particular item and the better chance you have of asking the write questions. I've purchased most of my gear blind. Youtube videos are OK, but until you work with a piece of gear you won't really know how useful it'll be. Its the reason I don't really bother demoing software, I just buy it the way I but hardware I can't demo.

If you are at all unsure of how something will preform w/o a live demo, keep thinking about it.

The monitors I'm using now I bought with zero kind of any listening demo and it was the best 300 bucks I've spent in the past 16 months on gear.

------------------
Thanks to relic
Numerical (18-09-2013)
Old 18-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
bass&moddedFreq
Ghostly
bass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant future
Long Island, New York

Yeah if i was buying used i'd probably go internet based like amazon or ebay.

Now first thanks for feedback but another question.

I'm mainly just going to make my sound better so for monitoring speakers all i would need is an audio interface the monitor speakers cables and maybe the foam to put underneath the speakers?

------------------
Old 18-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #6
bass&moddedFreq
Ghostly
Long Island, New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
The monitors I'm using now I bought with zero kind of any listening demo and it was the best 300 bucks I've spent in the past 16 months on gear.
Which ones did you buy if you don't mind me asking?

------------------
Old 18-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #7
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Yea an interface, some monitors and cables will sort you.

I bought Equator Audio D5 monitors. They also now have D8s. 5inch monitors verus 8inch. The D5s have gone up to 400usd, but are still a steal IMO. The D5s lack low end (they only go down to 53hz), but if your room isn't treated you are better off w/o the super low end frequency response. The mids are fantastic. Wide, big and clear! The highs are bright and lively w/o being fatiguing. The low-mids and lows aren't hyped in a lot of monitors in the price range. The stereo image is amazing.

These monitors will NEVER flatter your mix. The aren't a pleasure to listen on, but they are like silky sex to work with!

------------------
Old 18-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #8
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass&moddedFreq View Post
Yeah if i was buying used i'd probably go internet based like amazon or ebay.

Now first thanks for feedback but another question.

I'm mainly just going to make my sound better so for monitoring speakers all i would need is an audio interface the monitor speakers cables and maybe the foam to put underneath the speakers?
Depends on the amount of treatment and quality you're going for. General you want the center between the woofer and tweeter at ear level as you're sitting comfortably, and pointing at you where you are the center of an equilateral triangle between you and the two speakers. You want the speakers far enough away from the wall to diminish early reflections, and generally it's good practice to put some kind of auralex type of foam blocks on the walls behind the speakers.

The purpose for putting foam under the speakers is to kill vibrations if they are placed on your desk. If you have proper monitor stands they aren't really needed. Mopads work well for that if thewy are on the main desk. Dont make them too thick or you'll get directional problems since the monitors are pushing air and will actually move slightly causing the sound to change as sound plays. A very thin layer that only prevents them from making contact is needed.

------------------
brumski
Old 18-09-2013, 10:22 PM   #9
bass&moddedFreq
Ghostly
Long Island, New York

are you saying that you wouldn't listen to music on them just mix and work on music on them right?

I'm also assuming it doesn't really matter what type of music I am making with the no need for the lows right? And doesn't mean there isn't any bass just not a low sub bass frequency getting played by the speakers?
Sorry for all the questions

------------------
Old 18-09-2013, 10:54 PM   #10
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
are you saying that you wouldn't listen to music on them just mix and work on music on them right?

I'm also assuming it doesn't really matter what type of music I am making with the no need for the lows right? And doesn't mean there isn't any bass just not a low sub bass frequency getting played by the speakers?
Sorry for all the questions
Yep. Love mixing on them, but they are not pleasure listening speakers in any way.

If you treated your room, hearing the whole frequency spectrum would be ideal. And you could always add a sub later. But I used to have speakers with a lower response and the low end was hyped (KRK Rokit 6s). When I switched to the D5s, cleared up tons of low end problems I was having in my mixes.

There is plenty of bass. Just nothing below 53hz really. Which if you think in the correct way can help you mix. Assuming that most home systems will hit anything below 60hz is a big maybe. So if you can't hear it w/o cranking your D5s, you know people won't hear it on their headphones, hifi, car etc.

------------------
Old 18-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #11
bass&moddedFreq
Ghostly
Long Island, New York

alright what if it were to be played at a club on big speakers wouldnt you hear it then? (newb question maybe?)

------------------
Old 18-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #12
bass&moddedFreq
Ghostly
Long Island, New York

Also if I were to buy new ones what would be your opinion on bundles they make that come with mic and audio interface cable and usually software
things like this:
Amazon.com: Focusrite SCARLETT Studio Pack w/CM25 Microphone, Headphones, 2i2, Cubase LE 6 Interface, Mic Cable, Boom Stand, and Pop Filter: Musical Instruments [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
And other companies make packages as well just the first one when i amazoned bundle

------------------
Old 18-09-2013, 11:20 PM   #13
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
alright what if it were to be played at a club on big speakers wouldnt you hear it then? (newb question maybe?)
Just because you can't hear frequencies on your speakers doesn't mean they don't exist in the track.

If you have sounds in your tunes that go below the frequencies your speakers can reproduce you'd certainly hear them on speakers that CAN reproduce those frequencies.

------------------
Thanks to relic
bass&moddedFreq (18-09-2013)
Old 13-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #14
bass&moddedFreq
Ghostly
Long Island, New York

I Feel like i should update the thread on how my purchasing and setting up has been going.. I managed to get a used Presonus AudioBox USB for $75 (USD) used off ebay with a mic cable and was used pretty lightly it seems...
Then got another great deal from a store on ebay on rom KRKs Rokit 8s (Generation 3) a pair for only $215 (USD)..
Then of course needed some wires to hook up speaker so looked up any stores around my job that might have them because i was at work and figured try best buy..Got the wires on clearance for $3.99 instead of $12.99..

Good Deals so far , o yeah and a new table i got from my girlfriend that me and my friend put a extra level on to hold my monitor and my monitors

------------------
Old 13-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #15
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

I just want to point out that monitors and an interface won't make you sound any better. They'll make whatever you are doing louder in your own space.

Maybe you already know this but I noticed you said it twice in the conversation here. You wanted to make your sound better. solid practice and time will make you sound better. Equipment might help you further refine things here and there but it won't turn any tricks.

On topic:

I buy used also.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 02:18 AM   #16
g0lem
Savage Mad Cunt
g0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MC
c-audio's basement, apparently.
MC Status: 31210

Monitors are also the one thing I'll get an extended warranty for.
I work off of some shitty AV40's and the back of those is known to melt if left on 24/7.
Mine are on 24/7.
Guitar Center is going to hate me.

------------------
g0lem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #17
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33060

I do not care how I get my gear..new,used,gifted, fell off a truck..etc...as long as it works I really do not care.

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Str8Jaketed
Numerical (14-10-2013)
Old 14-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #18
bass&moddedFreq
Ghostly
Long Island, New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
I just want to point out that monitors and an interface won't make you sound any better. They'll make whatever you are doing louder in your own space.

Maybe you already know this but I noticed you said it twice in the conversation here. You wanted to make your sound better. solid practice and time will make you sound better. Equipment might help you further refine things here and there but it won't turn any tricks.

On topic:

I buy used also.
Yeah i know better speakers and gear do not make you better, the main reason i was asking is because this was my first set of monitors so wanted some feedback.... just a side mote, i was doing everything either on my laptop speaker or computers hi fis so my first set of monitors will help identify some problems with some sounds

------------------
Old 14-10-2013, 10:45 PM   #19
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Austin

Make sure you do the things I posted in my other post here, especially this:

Other than that, diffusion diffusion diffusion. Some broadband absorbers (that you can make yourself for cheap) in the back of the room where those dotted lines hit the wall behind you will be your first line of defense against peaks and frequency build up. Then you may want to buy/make bass traps. Is the room you're in carpeted? Wooden or sheet rock walls? Vaulted ceilings? Do you have your desk facing the long way of the room (if it has a longer length than it does width)?

------------------
brumski
Old 14-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #20
bass&moddedFreq
Ghostly
Long Island, New York

Yeah i've looked up to make sure that i set them up in the proper triangle.... As of now it is a bedroom studio so there are other objects that i cant get rid of that might create some pockets but im not sure, and thanks for the reminder about the bass traps and other absorption pads i can get.. Didn't know you could make your own defiantly need to look into how to do that

Advertisements

------------------