Who uses GNU/Linux for music?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
ThEstEmp
Analog Lurker
ThEstEmp is just really niceThEstEmp is just really niceThEstEmp is just really niceThEstEmp is just really niceThEstEmp is just really nice
MC Status: 410
Who uses GNU/Linux for music?

Ive been using Ubuntu Studio for all of my music recording and production now, with Ardour, JACK, and Hydrogen Drum machine. Its pretty badass, I was wondering if anyone else uses GNU/Linux for their music on here?

Advertisements

------------------
ThEstEmp is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ThEstEmp
Lotus_Jewel (21-07-2017)
Old 03-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010
Re: Who uses GNU/Linux for music?

I would love to go linux all the way one day, but I wouldn't be able to miss Ableton Live and I suppose there are still louds of driver issues with external audio interfaces and midi-devices.

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
ThEstEmp
Analog Lurker
ThEstEmp is just really niceThEstEmp is just really niceThEstEmp is just really niceThEstEmp is just really niceThEstEmp is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inertia View Post
I would love to go linux all the way one day, but I wouldn't be able to miss Ableton Live and I suppose there are still louds of driver issues with external audio interfaces and midi-devices.
it took a little digging to find a compadible card, but my m-audio works perfectly.

------------------
Thanks to ThEstEmp
Lotus_Jewel (21-07-2017)
Old 03-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
GomesR
IDMf Supporter
GomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MC
MC Status: 71574
Thanked 1,180 Times in 723 Posts

I use Ubuntu and Windows. For the most part, everything runs pretty smooth, but I'm still having a few problems, nothing that can't be fixed. So far, it has stopped me from going completely back. But yeah, once it's set up and you get everything running smoothly, it's pretty nice. This is the second time I've went back to it, aside from the music production, I just like the way it runs!

Oh... sorry, read that wrong I guess. I've been having trouble getting my computer to let me install jack and studio...not that I've tried very hard... But meh, I'm pretty stuck in my ways with Reaktor anyways! (Which I run in ubuntu)

Last edited by GomesR; 03-06-2013 at 08:54 PM..

------------------
GomesR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC

That's kind of the problem, I want an as good as possible setup. I don't want to be extremely limited to a couple of interfaces. I don't mind tinkering with my setup sometimes but I'd like an as smooth as possible setup so I can really concentrate on music.
But don't get me wrong I would love to go completely open-source one day, I love the idea, the concepts behind it. I tried it a couple of times but I'm just still tied to a couple of programs right now

------------------
Old 04-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65410
Thanked 1,308 Times in 987 Posts

I am very encouraged by this! I am hoping to be able to migrate from Windows XP with VST(i)'s to Linux. But I haven't fully tried that yet, because I tended to get confused by the what JACK and ALSA Mixer are and how they work. I like the idea of transferring my freeware VST(i)'s and a few paid-for VSTi's over to a slimmed-down, easily replenishable Linux distribution.

Do any of you have any recommendations of how to accomplish this?
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
ThEstEmp
Analog Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DfiledVegan View Post
I am very encouraged by this! I am hoping to be able to migrate from Windows XP with VST(i)'s to Linux. But I haven't fully tried that yet, because I tended to get confused by the what JACK and ALSA Mixer are and how they work. I like the idea of transferring my freeware VST(i)'s and a few paid-for VSTi's over to a slimmed-down, easily replenishable Linux distribution.

Do any of you have any recommendations of how to accomplish this?
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
might help u with the vst issue. Keep in mind that there is also effect and virtual instrument plugins native to linux like [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, and [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
is basically a sound backend. You use it to connect all of the different sound applications together, like feeding the midi output of a sequencer into the midi input of a synth. I would recommend these two distro's [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
make sure u swap out the desktop environment for something smaller like [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Thanks to ThEstEmp
Nystagmus (04-11-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #8
crackmontage
raptor badger
crackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MC
sminap MN
MC Status: 434781

I was using ubuntustudio 8 or 9 with RT kernel.

Man I want linux again. Interested in some weird glitching software?

Quote:
I had Ableton running with WINE and JACK.

Of course, it always takes some work to get it running, unless you have the exact same hardware and kernel.

I had a presonus firewire interface running... you'd be surprised at the driver support I think.

It might be worth it, can't seem to get latency low enough on my kb37...

------------------

crackmontage is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to crackmontage
ThEstEmp (05-06-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #9
Nyul

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackmontage View Post
I was using ubuntustudio 8 or 9 with RT kernel.

Man I want linux again. Interested in some weird glitching software?

I had Ableton running with WINE and JACK.

Of course, it always takes some work to get it running, unless you have the exact same hardware and kernel.

I had a presonus firewire interface running... you'd be surprised at the driver support I think.

It might be worth it, can't seem to get latency low enough on my kb37...
Yeah I suppose it is possible but I just don't want to have to mess too much with my laptop, it would be a bit too frustrating to have to deal with a bug right before a live show...

But I would really love too switch my non-music stuff to linux (I already have kind of a dual-boot system anyway) but I'm just still tied to windows, mostly by skype and itunes

------------------
Old 05-06-2013, 10:40 PM   #10
ThEstEmp
Analog Lurker

Quote:
But I would really love too switch my non-music stuff to linux (I already have kind of a dual-boot system anyway) but I'm just still tied to windows, mostly by skype and itunes
U can use [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
as a skype replacement, and [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
instead of itunes[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Old 05-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #11
crackmontage
raptor badger
crackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MC
sminap MN

Quote:
Yeah I suppose it is possible but I just don't want to have to mess too much with my laptop, it would be a bit too frustrating to have to deal with a bug right before a live show...

TBH, ableton crashes on windows enough for me that I think linux might be better. At least with linux if you learn about it enough you know WHY its crashing.

------------------

Old 06-06-2013, 07:18 AM   #12
Nyul

Yeah I know there are alternatives but I'm not stuck with them because I want to use them but because I have to.
I have a bunch of friends on Skype and I often voice chat for a pretty long time with my girlfriend, the last time I checked the linux version of Skype was way outdated so all the bugs and frustrations would pile up pretty fast. The only reason I want iTunes is because of my iPod, I don't want to keep updating my music library on two programs and the linux support for iPod isn't too great either.

But I'll keep it in mind guys, maybe I should check it out a bit more this summer.

What distributions do you use and do you use it only for music or just everything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackmontage View Post
TBH, ableton crashes on windows enough for me that I think linux might be better. At least with linux if you learn about it enough you know WHY its crashing.
It doesn't crash that often with me so I guess I'm kind of lucky, it only freezes sometimes when loading big sets with a lot of recordings.

------------------
Old 06-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #13
crackmontage
raptor badger
sminap MN

Do you think its crashing for me because of this?

------------------

Old 12-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #14
Oscifer
Minor Glitch
Oscifer is just really niceOscifer is just really niceOscifer is just really niceOscifer is just really niceOscifer is just really nice
Milwaukee, WI

I used to mess about in LMMS and such when I was on a linux binge. I actually thought it was pretty decent for a free software. Mainly I would pop open PD on linux and screw around with that.
Oscifer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #15
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269462258
Thanked 2,773 Times in 1,844 Posts

Why not using Renoise on Linux? It works perfectly and it's fucking awesome!

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #16
Oscifer
Minor Glitch
Oscifer is just really niceOscifer is just really niceOscifer is just really niceOscifer is just really niceOscifer is just really nice
Milwaukee, WI

Quote:
Why not using Renoise on Linux? It works perfectly and it's fucking awesome!
Quick google search of it, and I like what I'm seeing. once i get my linux machine maybe I'll start messing about in it.
I've been getting sort of sick of Ableton because I know that thing inside and out.
Oscifer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #17
ThEstEmp
Analog Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscifer View Post
Quick google search of it, and I like what I'm seeing. once i get my linux machine maybe I'll start messing about in it.
I've been getting sort of sick of Ableton because I know that thing inside and out.
rosegarden is supposed to be good too, I have not used it yet though.

------------------
Old 18-06-2013, 05:25 AM   #18
HS-24
Minor Glitch
HS-24 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

I was trying to get ardour to work, I don't remember what happened, but I failed, the same with supercollider.
HS-24 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #19
ThEstEmp
Analog Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS-24 View Post
I was trying to get ardour to work, I don't remember what happened, but I failed, the same with supercollider.
try this [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Old 27-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #20
SUN of IRA
Soundwave Mangler
SUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant future
Manchester
MC Status: 1560

My next computer is going to be a linux machine. Probably running Linux Lite and then just using Renoise and my field recorder.

Advertisements

SUN of IRA is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote