[Drum & Bass) Haydyn - Daydreamer
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 09-07-2017, 07:34 PM   #1
Timworth94
Master of the LFO
Timworth94 has a reputation beyond reputeTimworth94 has a reputation beyond reputeTimworth94 has a reputation beyond reputeTimworth94 has a reputation beyond reputeTimworth94 has a reputation beyond reputeTimworth94 has a reputation beyond reputeTimworth94 has a reputation beyond reputeTimworth94 has a reputation beyond reputeTimworth94 has a reputation beyond reputeTimworth94 has a reputation beyond reputeTimworth94 has a reputation beyond repute
Lancashire
MC Status: 2790
[Drum & Bass) Haydyn - Daydreamer

Working on this at the moment, feel as though the mix isn't right and can't seem to push past those barriers. Need someone who knows more about drum & bass mixdowns that could possibly have a listen and share some tips and let me know where you think I'm going wrong.

PRIVATE LINK:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Last edited by Timworth94; Yesterday at 03:42 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
Timworth94 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Timworth94
Lotus_Jewel (10-07-2017)
Rate this track - [Drum & Bass) Haydyn - Daydreamer.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:59 AM   #2
hendu12
Minor Glitch
hendu12 has a spectacular aura abouthendu12 has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160
Re: [Drum & Bass) Haydyn - Daydreamer

I don't really know much about DNB, but I have heard a few artists, like Goldie and Amon Tobin for instance. I could be and probably am wrong, but, it feels like the hi hats are not present enough to make it have a DNB feel. It sounds more like Dubstep - the growly bass. That aside, it sounds really good on its own.
hendu12 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:05 PM   #3
Neuralsphere
Soundwave Mangler
Neuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond repute
Midlands
MC Status: 6660

Think the thing that's holding you up is the drum patterns and percs as your synth work is pretty variant as compared to what appears to be one drum pattern on repeat.

Try add more hats, maybe some something washier on the off beat, as although what you have sounds great it sounds like a breakdown - in terms of drum pattern structure it needs more variance... All of the sounds compliment each other and the feel of the song is great, well clipped and the balance of the mixdown is good along with note composition. Love the use of the thunderstorm in the outro, would perhaps beef the intro up and add that storm to the beginning... it becomes cyclical that way and may encourage the listener to repeat the song (bonus)

Perhaps some mild distortion on that sub bass as it leads into new sections, just the last segment of a bar to give it a touch more presence when you drop some of the percs whilst it does that and sweep into the next part... Could change the mood too much though, so take that with a pinch of salt.

Either way props, I've followed you on soundcloud. Would be keen to have a go at a track together, check out my latest and if I hear from you, sweet.

------------------
Neuralsphere is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 01:44 PM   #4
Timworth94
Master of the LFO
Timworth94 has a reputation beyond reputeTimworth94 has a reputation beyond reputeTimworth94 has a reputation beyond reputeTimworth94 has a reputation beyond reputeTimworth94 has a reputation beyond reputeTimworth94 has a reputation beyond reputeTimworth94 has a reputation beyond reputeTimworth94 has a reputation beyond reputeTimworth94 has a reputation beyond reputeTimworth94 has a reputation beyond reputeTimworth94 has a reputation beyond repute
Lancashire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuralsphere View Post
Think the thing that's holding you up is the drum patterns and percs as your synth work is pretty variant as compared to what appears to be one drum pattern on repeat.

Try add more hats, maybe some something washier on the off beat, as although what you have sounds great it sounds like a breakdown - in terms of drum pattern structure it needs more variance... All of the sounds compliment each other and the feel of the song is great, well clipped and the balance of the mixdown is good along with note composition. Love the use of the thunderstorm in the outro, would perhaps beef the intro up and add that storm to the beginning... it becomes cyclical that way and may encourage the listener to repeat the song (bonus)

Perhaps some mild distortion on that sub bass as it leads into new sections, just the last segment of a bar to give it a touch more presence when you drop some of the percs whilst it does that and sweep into the next part... Could change the mood too much though, so take that with a pinch of salt.

Either way props, I've followed you on soundcloud. Would be keen to have a go at a track together, check out my latest and if I hear from you, sweet.
Thanks mate, good response thanks for listening. I've started implementing all of what you said and it's sounding better i think. I've updated the link, Let me know what you think.
And of course mate would like to work on a track together, I'll check out your soundcloud right now. Skank is sick!

------------------
Old 16-07-2017, 01:49 PM   #5
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 163710
Thanked 3,274 Times in 2,444 Posts

Enjoyed this mix..though it felt like it could be longer. Nothing to add to what's been said here already..sorry..just liked it and think it's worth mentioning how good your production skills are..they really show through in this mix.

Thanks for sharing.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 01:53 PM   #6
Timworth94
Master of the LFO
Lancashire

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Enjoyed this mix..though it felt like it could be longer. Nothing to add to what's been said here already..sorry..just liked it and think it's worth mentioning how good your production skills are..they really show through in this mix.

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks man that really means a lot Still kinda working on another section at the moment

------------------
Old 16-07-2017, 08:19 PM   #7
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia
MC Status: 2660

Everything is great. I do feel like drum samples are some free samples from the internet and its a shame coz they are well programed. I would like to hear more then 1 hihat drum, or patern. Thats my constructive critique I can give you.

Sounds good man! 7/10

------------------
Mario D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 08:25 PM   #8
Timworth94
Master of the LFO
Lancashire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario D View Post
Everything is great. I do feel like drum samples are some free samples from the internet and its a shame coz they are well programed. I would like to hear more then 1 hihat drum, or patern. Thats my constructive critique I can give you.

Sounds good man! 7/10
Thank you, although definitely no sampled loops here, all programmed by myself in maschine 2 so thank you for the compliment. At the moment it's a little rigid because the loop I've created in maschine is only 16 bars long but I've yet to add more to the drums

Thanks for the rating

------------------
Old 16-07-2017, 08:36 PM   #9
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timworth94 View Post
Thank you, although definitely no sampled loops here, all programmed by myself in maschine 2 so thank you for the compliment. At the moment it's a little rigid because the loop I've created in maschine is only 16 bars long but I've yet to add more to the drums

Thanks for the rating
I ment like drum samples, kick, snare, hihat, percusion samples, they sounded like i described.

------------------
Old 16-07-2017, 08:42 PM   #10
Timworth94
Master of the LFO
Lancashire

Quote:
I ment like drum samples, kick, snare, hihat, percusion samples, they sounded like i described.
Oh damn I understand now, so I need to change the sounds that make up my drums?

------------------
Old 17-07-2017, 06:22 AM   #11
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Croatia

Quote:
Oh damn I understand now, so I need to change the sounds that make up my drums?
No need to change, that's just my opinion. I always like to give something to help out. Track is really great I wanna see good drum samples in it. (often it offends ppl, not my intention)

------------------
Old 17-07-2017, 10:14 AM   #12
Timworth94
Master of the LFO
Lancashire

Quote:
No need to change, that's just my opinion. I always like to give something to help out. Track is really great I wanna see good drum samples in it. (often it offends ppl, not my intention)
No offence taken mate, I'll look into putting some other samples together see what may work better. It's always a bit of an issue with my drums though when messing with them at this stage as I'd gone through so much layering and eqing to try to get it all to sit right I'll have to redo a lot of my tuning settings, but maybe that's needed so thanks

Ps. I was offended initially, as it sounded like you was saying I'd used free loops off the Internet. That aside,, a little deflated hearing that maschine 2 samples sound a bit 'free internetish'. I paid £1500 for that shit lol

Last edited by Timworth94; 17-07-2017 at 10:23 AM..

------------------
Old 17-07-2017, 10:44 AM   #13
Vilius J
Regular Freak
Vilius J is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

I'd make a sample of that bass track from 0:45 and make some variations with it to sound more interesting and not so stale Maybe some cuts or adding some fx to it. Unless it was your intention to make it like that then it's cool tho. Nice vocal btw
Vilius J is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 11:41 AM   #14
_nanonoise_
Microknight
_nanonoise_ has much to be proud of_nanonoise_ has much to be proud of_nanonoise_ has much to be proud of_nanonoise_ has much to be proud of_nanonoise_ has much to be proud of_nanonoise_ has much to be proud of_nanonoise_ has much to be proud of_nanonoise_ has much to be proud of_nanonoise_ has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1260

nice track, has a chill and happy vibe :-)

nice drum programming, you could layer it with a (chopped) breakbeat loop to complement the hats to increase the flow.
also for the intro loop I would increase cutoff on the LP filter and let some beats fade in together with that buildup

nice work!
_nanonoise_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 12:27 PM   #15
Timworth94
Master of the LFO
Lancashire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilius J View Post
I'd make a sample of that bass track from 0:45 and make some variations with it to sound more interesting and not so stale Maybe some cuts or adding some fx to it. Unless it was your intention to make it like that then it's cool tho. Nice vocal btw
Thanks man, I've been playing with some filter & affect modulation I agree it needs some more going on

------------------
Old 17-07-2017, 12:30 PM   #16
Timworth94
Master of the LFO
Lancashire

Quote:
Originally Posted by _nanonoise_ View Post
nice track, has a chill and happy vibe :-)

nice drum programming, you could layer it with a (chopped) breakbeat loop to complement the hats to increase the flow.
also for the intro loop I would increase cutoff on the LP filter and let some beats fade in together with that buildup

nice work!
Thanks, I'll add some chopped up breaks see what I can do.
I'll try it out with the filtered drum buildup, I have tried on this and the drums didn't quite sound right at that part, so may just opt for a snare roll of some kind but I'll see what works

------------------
Old 17-07-2017, 12:47 PM   #17
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Croatia

Quote:
No offence taken mate, I'll look into putting some other samples together see what may work better. It's always a bit of an issue with my drums though when messing with them at this stage as I'd gone through so much layering and eqing to try to get it all to sit right I'll have to redo a lot of my tuning settings, but maybe that's needed so thanks

Ps. I was offended initially, as it sounded like you was saying I'd used free loops off the Internet. That aside,, a little deflated hearing that maschine 2 samples sound a bit 'free internetish'. I paid £1500 for that shit lol
I could help you out with samples, I'm not sure why would you pay my friend. Wisp me on soundcloud if you want help ^^

(I did say that )Yea, I think I offend many people here i think, but I promise I really want to give you honest opinion so you get better.
I hate comments "Man it's great, nothing I would change.." type. But I'm old and I make music long. First few year I was offended too on every bad comment I would recieve.

Now I just want bad comments to get better. (Years do to a man)

------------------
Old 18-07-2017, 02:10 PM   #18
Timworth94
Master of the LFO
Lancashire

Quote:
I could help you out with samples, I'm not sure why would you pay my friend. Wisp me on soundcloud if you want help ^^

(I did say that )Yea, I think I offend many people here i think, but I promise I really want to give you honest opinion so you get better.
I hate comments "Man it's great, nothing I would change.." type. But I'm old and I make music long. First few year I was offended too on every bad comment I would recieve.

Now I just want bad comments to get better. (Years do to a man)
No need mate, i have too many samples to count.

Yeah I understand that mate, there was no offence so we're good, how long have you been at it then? Just recently gone past the six year mark

------------------
Old 18-07-2017, 05:06 PM   #19
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Croatia

Quote:
No need mate, i have too many samples to count.

Yeah I understand that mate, there was no offence so we're good, how long have you been at it then? Just recently gone past the six year mark
I've been making since reason 2, my olders song on soundcloud is 8 years old, and probably it took me 2 years to make that song, so 10 years.

But I took 6,7 year break or so.

------------------
Old 18-07-2017, 07:49 PM   #20
Neuralsphere
Soundwave Mangler
Neuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond repute
Midlands
MC Status: 6660

Quote:
Thanks mate, good response thanks for listening. I've started implementing all of what you said and it's sounding better i think. I've updated the link, Let me know what you think.
And of course mate would like to work on a track together, I'll check out your soundcloud right now. Skank is sick!
Glad to have been of some help, it's definitely sounding more polished & the structures more solid, I can hear it dropping again after you end it though, what you have is good enough to be at that point. Try resample the bassline you have, several times until you have enough material to use parts for fils and a heavier second section. Don't go much heavier as the mood of the track is lovely (unless of course you can hear it working, then go for it). Literally copy paste the same section and breakdown, but chop it up and change bits with the resampled bass. or layer it, gate between original and resample... wherever your creativity takes you really... (might help to resample the bass in a separate instance if you're tight on RAM like me).

Another thing is to take that advice earlier about chopping up beats, theres loads of them out there, not just the amen break... little tom fils, snare shots, rim shots... funky grooves basically, rip anything and everything reprocess and repeat until you have your own library of fils. This is to increase the richness and overall texture of the track, give it some flavour, its a bit of a eureka moment when you start pitching up these classic songs and get some banging jungle beat out of it (go on to process as you see fit at this point). Would highly recommend doing this even if for a future track.

This is potentially label worthy if it had more length... its got a nice flow, reminds me of stuff I'd hear on Hospital records. Clean and uplifting, keep it up I'll be in touch via PM here or Soundcloud regarding a collaboration. Going to finish off my sub for the PÜR MOODS Compilation and then start the ball rolling. A month tops... touch wood...

Advertisements

------------------
Neuralsphere is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote