Recording LIve: Confused.
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:31 AM   #1
Bluesh1ft
Knob Twiddler
Bluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond repute
In another world, usually
MC Status: 2110
Recording LIve: Confused.

Most of my process is penciling in midi. I do some live recordings but it always feels clunky and messy. I am classically trained but whenever I try recording it doesn't quite line up the way i want it too. It seems out of rhythm. Then I go back and fix any mistakes I've made and then I now have to worry about making it too lifeless with the corrections. Part of my problem is that there is enough delay when I hit a key stroke on the midi controller I can "feel" the delay. It's throwing off my rhythm. My mind thinks about the vibration or the sensation of hitting the keystroke physically and the delay of hearing the sound. I've tried reducing the buffer, it doesn't seem to help. So on one hand the delay between physical hit and a sound being produced is throwing off my rythm. and on the other hand I worry about over correcting and timing when i start to pencil. It makes me wonder if my process is wrong in some way. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Edit:
I am on win 7 64-bit i7 first gen 8gb ram
Using a scarlet 2i4 the midi keyboard is attached to the midi input in the back of the scarlet interface.

Last edited by Bluesh1ft; 08-07-2017 at 07:15 AM..

Advertisements

Bluesh1ft is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:34 AM   #2
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744023091
Thanked 7,113 Times in 4,430 Posts
Re: Recording LIve: Confused.

You definitely need to try a better driver for your interface.
You should not be able to notice the latency (because of the exact issue you described).
Make sure you're running the correct one and if you don't have any luck with that have a read about ASIO4ALL.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
Bluesh1ft (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 12:15 AM   #3
Khasai
Regular Freak
Khasai is a splendid one to beholdKhasai is a splendid one to beholdKhasai is a splendid one to beholdKhasai is a splendid one to beholdKhasai is a splendid one to beholdKhasai is a splendid one to beholdKhasai is a splendid one to behold
Daly City
MC Status: 710

I had this exact problem when I first hooked my guitar up to my audio interface. I thought it was a driver issue because there was no delay from my keyboard which was hooked up via usb. It indeed was. The ASIO drivers provided by Behringer for the audio interface were not functioning well. Eventually I found a discussion on another forum where someone posted a version that fixed the delay issue.

I still have to correct my timing after recording now, but at least I hear the notes when I play them, which is enough for me to get creative and lay some sounds down.
Khasai is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Khasai
Bluesh1ft (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 07:01 PM   #4
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18024269

as mentioned, it seems like a driver issue. as well as making sure you have the correct and up to date drivers you should also make sure your software is set up to use those drivers. somewhere in the general audio settings you will find the option to select ASIO drivers.
what software are you having the problem with?

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:30 AM   #5
Bluesh1ft
Knob Twiddler
Bluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond repute
In another world, usually
MC Status: 2110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
as mentioned, it seems like a driver issue. as well as making sure you have the correct and up to date drivers you should also make sure your software is set up to use those drivers. somewhere in the general audio settings you will find the option to select ASIO drivers.
what software are you having the problem with?
Audio system: Asio Audio Driver: Focusrite USB 2.0 I am using Reaper DAW.
Bluesh1ft is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:46 PM   #6
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18024269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesh1ft View Post
Audio system: Asio Audio Driver: Focusrite USB 2.0 I am using Reaper DAW.
so have you installed the ASIO drivers for the scarlett yet? i dont know if they auto install or what, but if you do not have them you can get them from here:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

that link is for the 2nd gen, if you have the 1st gen you will need to select it on the dropdown menu at the top of the page.

once you know you have them installed, open reaper and go to Options > Preferences > Device (according to a focusrite article, as im not very familiar with reaper).
in there you should find an option to select the driver (it might be labelled as "devices").
select the ASIO option and see how that works out.

you will most likely have to set this for other software you use too, sometimes it sets by default but i usually check when running something for the first time.

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 12:10 AM   #7
destinationsoun
Minor Glitch
destinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesh1ft View Post
Most of my process is penciling in midi. I do some live recordings but it always feels clunky and messy. I am classically trained but whenever I try recording it doesn't quite line up the way i want it too. It seems out of rhythm. Then I go back and fix any mistakes I've made and then I now have to worry about making it too lifeless with the corrections. Part of my problem is that there is enough delay when I hit a key stroke on the midi controller I can "feel" the delay. It's throwing off my rhythm. My mind thinks about the vibration or the sensation of hitting the keystroke physically and the delay of hearing the sound. I've tried reducing the buffer, it doesn't seem to help. So on one hand the delay between physical hit and a sound being produced is throwing off my rythm. and on the other hand I worry about over correcting and timing when i start to pencil. It makes me wonder if my process is wrong in some way. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Edit:
I am on win 7 64-bit i7 first gen 8gb ram
Using a scarlet 2i4 the midi keyboard is attached to the midi input in the back of the scarlet interface.
Dude! Your are so correct! with modern day interfaces, midi controllers and DAWs there is a huge lag! People say it isn't there but i hear it.

Now with midi there will always be a delay. Same with digital recording audio. But there are ways to minify it.

People and companies might tell you all USB midi controllers are created equal, but it's not true. Some pass information better than others and the latency will be reduced. For example I would say avoid M-Audio controllers. I have seen very unstable clocking causing dropouts and worse latency. Might want to take a trip to the store and try a few out to see which one performs better.

As for latency settings, there are usually settings within your DAW to help with that. Each software is different. I use Ableton Live and there are some neat tricks it does to help with latency. Another thing to do is to set the sample rate of the session low to say 24bit 44.1kHz when recording midi. There will be less workload on your computer this way. Then when it't time to record actual audio you can bump it up to 96kH 24bit for better sound quality.

Finally, the computer components. The number one thing that made my computer faster and more reliable was a solid state (SSD) boot drive. Most of the internet talks about processor power and Ram, which are both important, but i saw a huge improvement to speed and stability the first time i added a SSD for my boot drive. Way more than i ever did with the other upgrades.

Advertisements

destinationsoun is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote