[Funky IDM/DnB] Failsafe - Standard Issue
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 08-07-2017, 03:57 AM   #1
Failsafe
Granular Poster
Failsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860
[Funky IDM/DnB] Failsafe - Standard Issue

Hope this one makes you want to move! Some funky glitchy business, first track I've made in ever that has a conventional song structure, let me know how it goes for you and if you can point me in any directions it's much appreciated.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

------------------
Failsafe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Funky IDM/DnB] Failsafe - Standard Issue.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:49 AM   #2
hendu12
Minor Glitch
hendu12 is a jewel in the roughhendu12 is a jewel in the roughhendu12 is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260
Re: [Funky IDM/DnB] Failsafe - Standard Issue

I do want to move, but it's a little hard because it's IDM

Damn this is really solid. I really can't think of any criticisms. Seems like you are a master of your craft. That gif in your signature kind of sounds like what I hear in your head when I listen to it. It feels like a really colorful tunnel or some shit. How do you not have more views? I love me some IDM. This sounds very reminiscent of Squarepusher, but has a unique flavor to it. Good job!
hendu12 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 02:03 PM   #3
Failsafe
Granular Poster
Failsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to behold

Thanks man I appreciate that!

Yeah there's definitely some old and new squarepusher influence going in there what with the bass leading the whole thing. It was just a little funky riff I got in my head and then got it down and messed with it a bit. Thanks again! More coming soon

------------------
Old 16-07-2017, 10:33 AM   #4
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 171910
Thanked 3,438 Times in 2,566 Posts

This kinda sounded to me as if it was a little too "free form" and random for me at the start, but then it really comes together fast. Love the why you layer the sounds and the various combinations of styles in the mix..nice one.

The only thing I would suggest to you is to try and open this up in general, by applying a stereo widening vst on some of the parts in the mix..just to help put some more space into it and help give it more life. There's a list of free [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, but I suggest giving [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
a go..that is, if you mixed this as a stereo track and not mono.

If you do try it, then skip the "Safe Bass" setting..I had issues using that setting in the past.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 10:40 AM   #5
Failsafe
Granular Poster

Hey thanks for all that man I appreciate that!

Glad it pulled you in after the intro and you liked the mash-up of styles, I really feel like I'm started to find my own sound now so it's really promising that you were into it.

As for the stereo field it's interesting that you've brought that up because I had a lot of fun with the panning in this, in the breakdown part towards the end I have different things moving around panoramically and I was pretty proud of that. Maybe you were talking about the rest of the track which is pretty central but either way I guess I need to think more about having the same frequency bands represented in both ears rather than playing around with it too much. I have the A1 trigger gate AU and really enjoy that and I'm installing the stereo control now, thanks for the tip, really appreciate the feedback

------------------
Old 18-07-2017, 06:45 PM   #6
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 171910
Thanked 3,438 Times in 2,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failsafe View Post
Hey thanks for all that man I appreciate that!

Glad it pulled you in after the intro and you liked the mash-up of styles, I really feel like I'm started to find my own sound now so it's really promising that you were into it.

As for the stereo field it's interesting that you've brought that up because I had a lot of fun with the panning in this, in the breakdown part towards the end I have different things moving around panoramically and I was pretty proud of that. Maybe you were talking about the rest of the track which is pretty central but either way I guess I need to think more about having the same frequency bands represented in both ears rather than playing around with it too much. I have the A1 trigger gate AU and really enjoy that and I'm installing the stereo control now, thanks for the tip, really appreciate the feedback
No..the panning you have is cool..no issues there at all. I was referring, as you rightly thought, about the main body fo the track in general. I was just thinking if you applied the stereo plug on a few different elements in the mix, then you could make the mix more "3 D" for the listener, without over-doing things too much.

It's only a small thing..and totally subjective..you obviously would need to mess around with it a little to find what works and what doesn't in relation to the mix..but I think it would be worth the effort in the long run.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 10:27 AM   #7
Failsafe
Granular Poster

Thanks for clarifying, yeah I totally agree on reflection. I think particularly the bass sound could do with widening seeing as it really leads the whole track. I've had a little mess around with that stereo enhancer plugin and I'm already really impressed with the results, so I'll definitely be using it on future tracks as well as going back to this to try some stuff out.

Advertisements

------------------