Why do you make music?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

« Rock thread | Metal »
Old 07-07-2017, 08:15 PM   #1
soundmodel
Granular Poster
soundmodel has much to be proud ofsoundmodel has much to be proud ofsoundmodel has much to be proud ofsoundmodel has much to be proud ofsoundmodel has much to be proud ofsoundmodel has much to be proud ofsoundmodel has much to be proud ofsoundmodel has much to be proud of
Finland
MC Status: 1060
Why do you make music?

Why do you make music?

---

I make music, because I like aesthetics. I could be working on picture for the same reason, but I happened to get more training in music as a child, rather than in visual arts.

But I'm exploring the same things as one would do as a graphic artist.

I make music that has colors, structures, visual imagery, rhythmic patterns, contrasts, gradients, ...

I paint with sound. That's my ideal. If the music doesn't create visual imagery, then I won't produce it.

Advertisements

------------------
soundmodel is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:24 PM   #2
Lotus_Jewel
Granular Poster
Lotus_Jewel has a brilliant futureLotus_Jewel has a brilliant futureLotus_Jewel has a brilliant futureLotus_Jewel has a brilliant futureLotus_Jewel has a brilliant futureLotus_Jewel has a brilliant futureLotus_Jewel has a brilliant futureLotus_Jewel has a brilliant futureLotus_Jewel has a brilliant futureLotus_Jewel has a brilliant futureLotus_Jewel has a brilliant future
Earth
MC Status: 1510
Re: Why do you make music?

its fun and like to dance, and i like dance music. i want to make people dance too so i guess this would be why, and prolly because DJing is fun too but then you just cant always find what you are feeling, or looking for... so ya gotta make it.
Lotus_Jewel is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Lotus_Jewel
relic (10-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 09:27 PM   #3
stewartmays1
IDMf's latest spammer
stewartmays1 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

i make tunes because my friends was producing music and i wanted to make tunes as well and im glad i did
stewartmays1 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:06 PM   #4
Kid Anthem
IDMf's latest spammer
Kid Anthem is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Keep my sanity lol. Music just prevents me from getting in trouble. Too busy perfecting a sound or track to get in any trouble.
Kid Anthem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:55 PM   #5
Vault O)))
Eternal Echoer
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Pen Island
MC Status: 27910

Because life is pain

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:01 AM   #6
Artificer
Master of the LFO
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 26010

I've got lots of loose, goofy, "to keep me from going insane" sort of answers, but they're all either symptoms of the problem or throwaway answers that don't really get at the real reasons, which are hard to describe.

The honest truth is I'm not a very visual person - paintings or photographs don't move me like they apparently do other people. Movies and TV bore me. Sounds, on the other hand, totally rock my world. Anything from the hum of the air conditioner or the thump of the clothes dryer to full orchestras and rock bands just stimulate me in a way that's hard to describe. I've stood in front of some of the most celebrated paintings in the world and been underwhelmed, but something as simple as the rumble of a passing train can completely captivate me and start my brain working in ways that nothing else does. I have no idea why, but I've been like this as long as I can remember. Maybe it's physiological.

So I make music and sonic art to capitalize on that inspiration, to capture that feeling and expand on it. Every little thing I hear is like the beginnings of a symphony or the first three chords of a song or the beat to a track. I suppose that's where the goofy "I have to get these ideas out of my head" thing comes from - I get inspired to make music every time I just close my eyes and listen to the world. Different sounds in different settings in different emotional states suggest different kinds of songs - rock, ambient, jazz, classical, noise, whatever. But it all starts with the inspiration of just listening and letting sound in to get processed. I've been doing it for a long time now,and I can't really imagine a life without making music of some kind to process those emotional responses.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
A.M (09-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 05:48 AM   #7
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia
MC Status: 2760

To be a millionare.

------------------
Mario D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Mario D
Lotus_Jewel (08-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 06:33 AM   #8
Bluesh1ft
Soundwave Mangler
Bluesh1ft has much to be proud ofBluesh1ft has much to be proud ofBluesh1ft has much to be proud ofBluesh1ft has much to be proud ofBluesh1ft has much to be proud ofBluesh1ft has much to be proud ofBluesh1ft has much to be proud ofBluesh1ft has much to be proud ofBluesh1ft has much to be proud of
In another world, usually
MC Status: 1160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
Because life is pain
And so is death
Bluesh1ft is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:43 AM   #9
Bluesh1ft
Soundwave Mangler
Bluesh1ft has much to be proud ofBluesh1ft has much to be proud ofBluesh1ft has much to be proud ofBluesh1ft has much to be proud ofBluesh1ft has much to be proud ofBluesh1ft has much to be proud ofBluesh1ft has much to be proud ofBluesh1ft has much to be proud ofBluesh1ft has much to be proud of

I make music for a multitude of reasons.

1. I want to hear something I like
2. I want to make something others like
3. I want to make money
4. I want recognition
5. I want to be influential
6. I want to fund my pseudo science inventions.
7. I want to travel
8. I want to meet new people
9. I want to have a fan base consisting of cute Japanese women.
10. Twitter feed with over 1 million followers
11. A video game based on my music
12. become the President of the United States
13. Be able to afford life extension technologies.
14. Date twenty year olds in my forties and fifties
15. Date twenty year olds in my forties and fifties
16. Date twenty year olds in my forties and fifties
17. Date twenty year olds in my forties and fifties
18. Date twenty year olds in my forties and fifties
19. Date twenty year olds in my forties and fifties
20. Date twenty year olds in my forties and fifties
Old 08-07-2017, 06:50 AM   #10
Vault O)))
Eternal Echoer
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Pen Island
MC Status: 27910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesh1ft View Post
And so is death
No, death is the ultimate freedom

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
A.M (09-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 06:57 AM   #11
Bluesh1ft
Soundwave Mangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
No, death is the ultimate freedom
thought it was reference to this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aNEDfI0xSw
Old 08-07-2017, 01:43 PM   #12
Dr. Sleaze
Minor Glitch
Dr. Sleaze is a splendid one to beholdDr. Sleaze is a splendid one to beholdDr. Sleaze is a splendid one to beholdDr. Sleaze is a splendid one to beholdDr. Sleaze is a splendid one to beholdDr. Sleaze is a splendid one to beholdDr. Sleaze is a splendid one to beholdDr. Sleaze is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 910

I guess I'm creative by nature. When I was younger I used to paint horror novel covers. I've made clothes in the past too. Sometimes do photography, but not in a while now. Grew up with a family that loved to listen to music, and everone liked different kinds, so I love quite a range of music, and always loved to dance.
But I am impatient at times, so have never leant to play an instrument. I'm also not really a computer nerdy kind of person, and creativity to me needs to be a hands on thing, hence I am hardware based for making music.
Dr. Sleaze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:05 PM   #13
fidelium
IDMf Artist
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
\(_o)/
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,364 Times in 1,855 Posts

i can't not

------------------
banewaker.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
lol

So gay.
fidelium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to fidelium
relic (10-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 08:49 PM   #14
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45940281
Thanked 5,642 Times in 3,559 Posts

It's like a water slide for your head movies

------------------
Numerical is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:17 PM   #15
Adelina
Granular Poster
Adelina is a jewel in the roughAdelina is a jewel in the roughAdelina is a jewel in the roughAdelina is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

Because music is the best thing in the world for expression of your felling)
Adelina is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:40 AM   #16
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8519530
Thanked 6,572 Times in 4,690 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus_Jewel View Post
its fun and like to dance, and i like dance music. i want to make people dance too so i guess this would be why, and prolly because DJing is fun too but then you just cant always find what you are feeling, or looking for... so ya gotta make it.
A lot of good answers in this thread. But lately I've been very inpsired in this regard. I've been hitting more events and being part of dane culture again has revitalized this in me.

I also do it because, for me, there is just a visceral pleasure in using hardware synths and drum machines. I rely heavily on a DAW/computer and have no issue with all ITB music. But twisting knobs and tweaking intsruments live really makes me feel good even if its been a shitty day.

I've also always wanted/needed a creative hobby and my parents and family always incouraged it. I've dabbled in a lot and kind of settled on music. Though I am a writer by trade, making it my profession has left me in a space where I only occasionally enjoy doing it for myself. I spent three years really struggling to express something with primarily poetry in my MFA program. I'm proud of the book I wrote for my thesis, but it didn't really capture what I wanted it to.

Instrumental electronic music for me is a good way to engage and communicate with something more "primal" in people that I don't feel poetry or writing can.

I want to make your lizard brain feel sexy with my choons.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:06 PM   #17
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 19210

because its what I am best at

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:49 AM   #18
nervewar
Regular Freak
nervewar has a spectacular aura aboutnervewar has a spectacular aura aboutnervewar has a spectacular aura about
Kansas City, MO
MC Status: 210

“Without music, life would be a mistake.”
-Nietzsche
nervewar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:57 AM   #19
_nanonoise_
Microknight
_nanonoise_ has much to be proud of_nanonoise_ has much to be proud of_nanonoise_ has much to be proud of_nanonoise_ has much to be proud of_nanonoise_ has much to be proud of_nanonoise_ has much to be proud of_nanonoise_ has much to be proud of_nanonoise_ has much to be proud of_nanonoise_ has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1260

I need the creative outlet. And I can't paint, draw or sculpt

So I guess I was drawn to fiddling around with samples and synths. Once the bugs bite I think its hard to stop it. Not producing causes major brain itching shortly after
_nanonoise_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:18 PM   #20
Leelius
Radial Developer
Leelius has a reputation beyond reputeLeelius has a reputation beyond reputeLeelius has a reputation beyond reputeLeelius has a reputation beyond reputeLeelius has a reputation beyond reputeLeelius has a reputation beyond reputeLeelius has a reputation beyond reputeLeelius has a reputation beyond reputeLeelius has a reputation beyond reputeLeelius has a reputation beyond reputeLeelius has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4460

It allows me to safely go crazy on whatever is on my mind. For me, music is an easier language to talk through, when I feel like I have to process things out loud.

I suppose it's the kind of creative process, that has great many things rather therapeutic to it and that's why I like to do it.

Advertisements

------------------
Leelius is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote

« Rock thread | Metal »