FLAC, AAC, and should I care?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 23-06-2017, 11:51 AM   #1
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 51810
Thanked 1,036 Times in 764 Posts
FLAC, AAC, and should I care?

So, I did a sound test using a FiiO headphone amp (was around $99) and Shure 325s:

Same CD source, one converted to standard lossy compression via iTunes std setting, one to FLAC using Audacity. I listened to the iTunes version using only the iPhone out and to the FLAC via the headphone amp.
Tracks included some industrial, some PanSonic, singer songwriter stuff, and vocal trance.

I didn't notice any difference.

I won't lug around over the ear Grados with me and a headphone amp that costs more than my iPhone, but, in your experience, do you actually notice any difference? Ever?

Btw. I don't care much about description such as warmth, presence, or soundstage, or other oblique semi-religious descriptors common on audiophile sites.

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 12:22 PM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 180760
Thanked 3,615 Times in 2,695 Posts
Re: FLAC, AAC, and should I care?

Excluding all oblique semi-religious descriptors..no..I honestly don't notice a difference while playing stuff back either. I could be wrong about this, but don't iTunes "do some sort of "normalization" or something when you upload stuff to them..similar to what Sound Cloud and other sites do? If so, then that might make some sort of difference..not really sure, tbh.

The other thing is it might be a more balanced test if you take the same source (CD / track..preferably something of your own, as you know exactly how that should sound..) and convert it from WAV to both formats using the same audio converter..or even a number of audio converter programs..just to see if the converter is making any difference to the end sound you're listening to.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 02:48 PM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8537430
Thanked 6,930 Times in 4,932 Posts

Honestly dude, whatever Pandora and Amazon Music stream at is good enough for me. Even when listening on my home hifi (not the greatest, but certainly higher quality than your typical big box store standard surround system) I think the streaming quality sounds fine. Compressed files tend to most noticeably loose low end, or so I have been led to believe.

I'm not saying there isn't a difference, but it isn't enough to make me worry about lossless files and the like as I basically never listen to music for enjoyment on anything playback system that would really take advantage of the difference.

Last edited by relic; 23-06-2017 at 03:34 PM..

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
A.M (23-06-2017)
Old 23-06-2017, 03:22 PM   #4
Narukami Music
Master of the LFO
Narukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MC
MC Status: 10160

MP3 320kbps sounds pretty damn close to lossless audio, and 95% of my music in my iPhone is lossless AIFF format ripped from CDs, so that's saying something. Since AAC is pretty much a better MP3, I guess you could say that you don't really need anything better.

I do make sure that the music on my iTunes is lossless format, since you can ask iTunes to convert the music to AAC format when you transfer your songs to your phone.

------------------
Narukami Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Narukami Music
Jaded (28-06-2017)
Old 23-06-2017, 03:34 PM   #5
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 20910

I notice the difference, since I can hear out to 22k and mp3 cuts out at 16k or less. Assuming it's been rendered well and there's no aliasing (which really bothers me), I can't hear the space quite right. Everything sounds a bit more muffled and mono to me. But some songs (Grum's first album) mix around that just fine. I don't though....

------------------
Also, check this out. Updated 10-27-17.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 05:10 PM   #6
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 39110

I still can't hear 320k MP3 vs FLAC.

Even if it sounded like a mild wall of static over my converts, I'd still be grateful to save that much space. If I have to bend over and listen closely to pretend like I'm hearing a difference, I'll just call it a wash and an excellent space-saver.

------------------
Totally not clickbait this time, I swear
Vault O))) is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 07:35 PM   #7
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45942681
Thanked 5,690 Times in 3,584 Posts

Really, on consumer-level buds and cans you're probably not going to notice much difference with high bitrate MP3 up to wav format. Get these sounds in a treated studio with diffusers and proper monitors, you'd probably hear some top end roll-off and/or artifacting in cymbals, loss of clarity in the hi-mids and probably just an overall compressed feel to them. also, can depend on the source conversion codecs, hardware it's being done on etc. FTMP though, I agree you can't really tell especially if not trying to notice.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 08:11 PM   #8
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 51810
Thanked 1,036 Times in 764 Posts

No one listens to music under such conditions, except sound or recording engineers and perhaps audiophiles. None of them really do so for the pleasure of listening to the music itself.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 10:04 PM   #9
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6903359
Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,108 Posts

Lossless sounds better to me. I listen to a lossless version and an MP4 back to back and the MP3 sounds flatter. It's like going from 3D to 2.5D.

I can't listen to 128k or less compressed audio for very long either as it hurts my ears. Maybe someone could explain why lossy audio tires the ears..

And of course, can't tell shit on the lounge room stereo... unless it's loud.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:59 AM   #10
BoJoProductions
Minor Glitch
BoJoProductions is a jewel in the roughBoJoProductions is a jewel in the roughBoJoProductions is a jewel in the roughBoJoProductions is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

What do people prefer for playing out in clubs? There's an assumption that FLAC will be better simply because it is a larger file, but I tend to stick to mp3s. What do people think?
BoJoProductions is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to BoJoProductions
jody jensen. (07-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 10:23 AM   #11
Narukami Music
Master of the LFO
Narukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MC
MC Status: 10160

When I used to DJ, I was advised to use lossless files like WAV or AIFF by other DJs that I talked to. The reason why is because the music would transfer better through speakers.

I did follow that advice but I really don't think anyone in my audience cared that much, heh As long as it's not some shitty Youtube rip, you'll be fine

------------------
Narukami Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Narukami Music
jody jensen. (07-07-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 06:37 PM   #12
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
"Let beauty loose!" --Nitzer Ebb
MC Status: 8560

You have to be extremely familiar with tunes to notice differences.
But after you've been trained or educated to notice the differences, you'll notice them more and more. But usually you have to know what you are listening for.

For example, plenty of tunes will sound just fine as M4A (AAC) or OPUS, but as soon as you listen to the FLAC of the actual CD, you can hear more bass, wider imaging, clearer cymbals, deeper thumps, more stuff vibrating the room.

For casual listening, it's not a big deal, but for audiophile analytics it's actually worth it to stick with lossless as much as possible.

And in terms of sanctioned listening tests, quality these days is about like this: (best to worst, for 128 kbps and above)

WAV/AIFF/FLAC/ALAC --> OPUS --> M4A/AAC --> OGG/VORBIS --> MP3

That's according to scientific group listening tests. I personally agree with it, too.

And of course, if you can listen on an actual stereo or DAW with pro monitors you will notice a lot better. And be sure to have your speakers in the right place of the room horizontally and vertically.

Advertisements

------------------
{novel, fresh, different, recent, modern, unexampled}
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote