[Electronic] Hatter - Athena
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 20-06-2017, 07:48 PM   #1
DJ Andee
Knob Twiddler
DJ Andee is a savage MCDJ Andee is a savage MCDJ Andee is a savage MCDJ Andee is a savage MCDJ Andee is a savage MCDJ Andee is a savage MCDJ Andee is a savage MCDJ Andee is a savage MCDJ Andee is a savage MCDJ Andee is a savage MCDJ Andee is a savage MC
South Texas
MC Status: 247250
[Electronic] Hatter - Athena

Not sure what genre this would be considered. I just sort of went with it, no real direction other than a bit of inspiration from a friend.

Feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks for listening.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Last edited by DJ Andee; 20-06-2017 at 08:17 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
DJ Andee is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to DJ Andee
A.M (21-06-2017)
Rate this track - [Electronic] Hatter - Athena.
Old 21-06-2017, 12:47 PM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 164260
Thanked 3,285 Times in 2,450 Posts
Re: [Electronic] Hatter - Athena

Once this got going, I found it hard nto to think of the recently late Roberto Concina, (aka Robert Miles).

Loved your interesting choice of sounds on this and how you made them work together in the mix..really nice. The overall standard of sound on this production is pretty fine, too..nice one.

The only thing I didn't personally like was the kind of "erratic" nature of the melody, but I totally get that's just me and not a negative thing that needs your attention..so my apologies..I'm sure others reading this will disagree with me and love it completely.

That said, it did leave me with the impression that you could have come up with something a little more "satisfying" melody-wise and that the track could have been developed more and benefit from it if you did.

LSS..interesting track with some interesting sound choices,

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 05:49 PM   #3
sbj
sbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond repute
Copenhagen
MC Status: 6610

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M
I'm sure others reading this will disagree with me and love it completely.
Aaaand here I am

I'm all for challenging the listener and this is in my book more suitable and interesting.

If it were my own track I would maybe look at the arrangement. As it is now I think it could do with some more variation.

But all said and done: Very nice

Cheers

------------------
sbj is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:33 PM   #4
DJ Andee
Knob Twiddler
DJ Andee is a savage MCDJ Andee is a savage MCDJ Andee is a savage MCDJ Andee is a savage MCDJ Andee is a savage MCDJ Andee is a savage MCDJ Andee is a savage MCDJ Andee is a savage MCDJ Andee is a savage MCDJ Andee is a savage MCDJ Andee is a savage MC
South Texas

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I do like to challenge the listener, I like to design a sound that you have to listen to several times to hear everything. I honestly make what I want to hear, and I like complex sounds. Sometimes I make things a bit too complicated, I'll be scaling it back for a couple more mainstream dance style tracks pretty soon. I want to start putting some serious time and thought into this to perhaps one day get signed and turn it into a job, and that means making music that people are going to want to listen to, so I really need to work on my melodies, bass and overall progression and structure. Then I need to really step out of my comfort zone and stop being so sequentially predictable.

My music has two big problems right now, you can't sing along to it and there's either no bass at all or it gets muffled out by the rest of the song. My lack of drum variation is something else I'll need to work on. I believe I need to think more melodically and less experimentally, and try to work on sound separation and equalization.

------------------
Old 08-07-2017, 12:48 PM   #5
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Andee View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I do like to challenge the listener, I like to design a sound that you have to listen to several times to hear everything. I honestly make what I want to hear, and I like complex sounds. Sometimes I make things a bit too complicated, I'll be scaling it back for a couple more mainstream dance style tracks pretty soon. I want to start putting some serious time and thought into this to perhaps one day get signed and turn it into a job, and that means making music that people are going to want to listen to, so I really need to work on my melodies, bass and overall progression and structure. Then I need to really step out of my comfort zone and stop being so sequentially predictable.

My music has two big problems right now, you can't sing along to it and there's either no bass at all or it gets muffled out by the rest of the song. My lack of drum variation is something else I'll need to work on. I believe I need to think more melodically and less experimentally, and try to work on sound separation and equalization.
Why not combine both? Think of Solar Fields or Biosphere..both combine both in such a way that the listener gets drawn into the track. I guess it really all comes to down mastering how you balance both in a track, blending them in such a way that both stand out, but neither takes from the other.

It's not as easy to master as it is to describe, but I really think you should try your hand at producing something like that, as you certainly have an ear for the complex and if this track is anything to go by, you also have a very good sense of sounds when it comes to putting everything together in a mix.

------------------
Old 08-07-2017, 01:16 PM   #6
DJ Andee
Knob Twiddler
South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Why not combine both? Think of Solar Fields or Biosphere..both combine both in such a way that the listener gets drawn into the track. I guess it really all comes to down mastering how you balance both in a track, blending them in such a way that both stand out, but neither takes from the other.

It's not as easy to master as it is to describe, but I really think you should try your hand at producing something like that, as you certainly have an ear for the complex and if this track is anything to go by, you also have a very good sense of sounds when it comes to putting everything together in a mix.
Well I could, but I'm listening to Solar Fields right now and man this just seems so far beyond my capabilities lol. I might have a good ear but it doesn't do me much good if I don't know how to use the tools in front of me. Plus I really don't have the proper speakers to be doing any sort of complex bass. Hell, I only get a good kick by looking at the visualizer because the subtle changes I'm making are totally inaudible in my headphones. I'm thinking something like Calvin Harris might be a bit easier to emulate, gotta get the sound separation and mastering down before I can even consider getting more creative with it like Solar Fields.

I also need to think about drums and percussion... Currently, the percussion in most of my music is comprised almost entirely of premade loops. I'm not proud about that but I just haven't put enough time into patterning and such. That's probably the most crazy complicated thing to consider next to mastering.

------------------
Old 08-07-2017, 01:47 PM   #7
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Andee View Post
Well I could, but I'm listening to Solar Fields right now and man this just seems so far beyond my capabilities lol. I might have a good ear but it doesn't do me much good if I don't know how to use the tools in front of me. Plus I really don't have the proper speakers to be doing any sort of complex bass. Hell, I only get a good kick by looking at the visualizer because the subtle changes I'm making are totally inaudible in my headphones. I'm thinking something like Calvin Harris might be a bit easier to emulate, gotta get the sound separation and mastering down before I can even consider getting more creative with it like Solar Fields.

I also need to think about drums and percussion... Currently, the percussion in most of my music is comprised almost entirely of premade loops. I'm not proud about that but I just haven't put enough time into patterning and such. That's probably the most crazy complicated thing to consider next to mastering.

Don't knock yourself..believe me, even though you think the likes of what Magnus Birgersson (Solar Fields) produces is beyond you..it's not. Granted, the guys has some really nice high-end gear that allows him to create the sounds he uses..but my point is not for you try to be another Birgersson or Harris, but just be Andee..the world already has enough Birgersson and Harris wannabes..what it lacks is
Andee.

Seriously, I totally get what you're saying and mean. Personally, though, I tend to come at production from the other direction..I focus on the creative side before I worry about the sound separation and mastering side of things.

Think about it..it's kinda like building a wall with blocks..you can't paint the wall until you have it built..obviously..same thing here. Once you have everything in place, all the various elements of your mix, then you can sculpt them into the end sound you're after. It's basically all in the creative planning..and even the likes of Birgersson and Harris need to plan things out before they start actually mixing.

I would really love it if you'd indulge me and give this way of producing a try on one rough track. You don't need to end up with perfection..it's just basically for you to compare how the end results will differ..and they will differ, trust me on this. You don't have to end up sounding just like them..just as long as you're aiming in the same general production direction, then your work can only improve.

Anyway, my apologies if all of this reads like I'm pushing you into doing something you don't want to do or feel is beyond your current capabilities..it's just a suggestion based purely on what I already know you're capable of doing..the track you posted here proves that.

Don't worry..feel free to tell me to feck off and mind my own business..no offense will be taken..honestly.

Advertisements

------------------