24/96 Masters
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 17-06-2017, 06:01 AM   #1
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond repute
ottawa
MC Status: 7610
24/96 Masters

So I finally ordered the last Tycho record on wax a few days ago. It's not my favorite of his but still like it enough and wanted it in my collection. It came with downloads of course and one d/l was the 24/96 wav files. Gotta say that I was absolutely floored listening to these mixes in that format through my dynaudio reference monitors. This is the first music I've got that wasn't my own in this format and the detail and depth of field just blew me away. I hope this is the norm with new releases because I felt it was on a whole new level.

Anyone else have any suggestions of sonically beautiful hi def releases that are worth checking out?

Advertisements

envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 05:26 PM   #2
soundmodel
Analog Lurker
soundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant future
Finland
MC Status: 1560
Re: 24/96 Masters

Whether sample rates have audible differences has been quite debated. I once read some papers about it and did personal listening and concluded that there's no audible difference.

I also don't understand how higher sample rates could technically sound better, because what's retained is over our hearing range.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
soundmodel is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 12:07 AM   #3
Detroit-Berlin
Minor Glitch
Detroit-Berlin is a name known to allDetroit-Berlin is a name known to allDetroit-Berlin is a name known to allDetroit-Berlin is a name known to allDetroit-Berlin is a name known to allDetroit-Berlin is a name known to all
MC Status: 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmodel View Post
Whether sample rates have audible differences has been quite debated. I once read some papers about it and did personal listening and concluded that there's no audible difference.

I also don't understand how higher sample rates could technically sound better, because what's retained is over our hearing range.
The differences may vary from subtle to quite audible but they're certainly audible.
Of course something that once was 41khz will not be hugely different when processed and exported to 96khz but applying higher sample rate processing to lower sample rate audio has it's benefits.
I find it most audible in the bass response, a lot tighter and smoother when handled at higher sample rate.
Detroit-Berlin is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 06:46 AM   #4
White Noise
Deep Underground
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 19560

Random Access Memories was released in "HD Audio" (I think that's the term for anything greater than CD quality). There's also really good remasters of a lot of classic albums. Led Zeppelin and The Doors are two of the better ones that jump to mind (with The Doors also getting SACD releases converted to PCM HD Audio).

I think HD Audio can be better because it allows you to move the input filtering on the recording side completely out of any reasonable audio range, which means you don't have any high-frequency rolloff from the filter. The second thing (especially for electronic instruments) is that anything that does get through the input filter and cause aliasing is more likely to keep the aliasing out of the audio band as well, which helps the intended music come through a bit clearer. But I think a lot of it is just the unique care that goes into the production of something you're going to release at that higher level. Same reason I use to explain the difference between vinyl and other mediums.

------------------
Also, check this out.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to White Noise
envelope3 (01-07-2017)
Old 18-06-2017, 01:28 PM   #5
soundmodel
Analog Lurker
soundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant future
Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit-Berlin View Post
The differences may vary from subtle to quite audible but they're certainly audible.
Of course something that once was 41khz will not be hugely different when processed and exported to 96khz but applying higher sample rate processing to lower sample rate audio has it's benefits.
I find it most audible in the bass response, a lot tighter and smoother when handled at higher sample rate.
How does it do it, because the extension in sample rate happens upwards in the frequency spectrum. Low frequencies are easily represented even with low frequency sample rates, because of the basic Nyquist sampling theorem. Right?

------------------
Thanks to soundmodel
Guardian (02-07-2017)
Old 18-06-2017, 02:34 PM   #6
Detroit-Berlin
Minor Glitch
Detroit-Berlin is a name known to allDetroit-Berlin is a name known to allDetroit-Berlin is a name known to allDetroit-Berlin is a name known to allDetroit-Berlin is a name known to allDetroit-Berlin is a name known to all
MC Status: 560

Quote:
How does it do it, because the extension in sample rate happens upwards in the frequency spectrum. Low frequencies are easily represented even with low frequency sample rates, because of the basic Nyquist sampling theorem. Right?
when you import a 96khz file into a 48khz project without conversion it will sound an octave lower and be double as long, when you do the opposite 48khz file into 96khz project w o conversion it will be an octave higher right?

A 96khz file has double as much information, it's most important in very high freq because the sound waves are so much closer but there's also a difference in the low end because there's twice as much information.

I don't know your setup (audio I/O, monitors, room setup, cabling, power stability, etc.) and source material but maybe that's why the difference is not so audible to you?
Detroit-Berlin is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 02:38 PM   #7
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744023091
Thanked 7,113 Times in 4,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by envelope3 View Post

Anyone else have any suggestions of sonically beautiful hi def releases that are worth checking out?
Not a very original answer but...
Autechre.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
A.M (18-06-2017)
Old 18-06-2017, 07:27 PM   #8
White Noise
Deep Underground
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 19560

As I understand it, the error rate (around 5%) of CD-quality (and all other PCM) audio is the same across the entire spectrum because most misrepresentations of the signal (except aliasing and jitter) are not frequency/time dependent, they're amplitude (bit depth) dependent. What you're talking about with the bass being easier to represent is more true of DSD audio, a 1-bit ultrafast encoding method, where the error rate is near zero at the low end and raises as you go up the audio band.

------------------
Also, check this out.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 11:27 PM   #9
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1532077
Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,207 Posts

Quote:
So I finally ordered the last Tycho record on wax a few days ago. It's not my favorite of his but still like it enough and wanted it in my collection.
I've been working for Tycho for the bulk of this year. Epoch was a slow burner for me, took me awhile to get into but i really love it. Rings and Source are my 2 favorites.

Sorry, not really adding much to this conversation.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 06:57 AM   #10
soundmodel
Analog Lurker
Finland

Quote:
I don't know if it's available in 96/24, but Röyksopp's Melody A.M. is one of the most well mixed electronic albums that I know.

------------------
Old 01-07-2017, 10:30 AM   #11
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond repute
ottawa
MC Status: 7610

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
I've been working for Tycho for the bulk of this year. Epoch was a slow burner for me, took me awhile to get into but i really love it. Rings and Source are my 2 favorites.

Sorry, not really adding much to this conversation.
I hear you on the slow burn. I had heard the album quite a few times before I ordered it. It is growing on me. I'm a big fan but I didn't fall in love with anything after Dive in the same way. I did find the production on Epoch quite striking. The detail and depth of field kind of thing on the 24/96 was not subtle at all imo.

What are you doing with Tycho? He's been a big inspiration. Looking forward to seeing how he moves past the feel of the last 3 records.
envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:41 PM   #12
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1532077
Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,207 Posts

I program and operate their Ableton live and Reaper sessions for the live shows, as well as tech video and do projection/LED wall mapping.

Been working on and off w them since late 2014.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
envelope3 (17-07-2017)
Old 21-07-2017, 07:02 AM   #13
destinationsoun
Minor Glitch
destinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810

Quote:
So I finally ordered the last Tycho record on wax a few days ago. It's not my favorite of his but still like it enough and wanted it in my collection. It came with downloads of course and one d/l was the 24/96 wav files. Gotta say that I was absolutely floored listening to these mixes in that format through my dynaudio reference monitors. This is the first music I've got that wasn't my own in this format and the detail and depth of field just blew me away. I hope this is the norm with new releases because I felt it was on a whole new level.

Now that depends of if you want EDM only. There's a whole world of sonically superior recordings Most are classical, jazz and folk though. a website called HDTracks will get you the more popular stuff in higher res formats. A company called blue coast records will get you folk music.

One of the issues with high resolution, is if someone recorded in lower res, up sampling will not help because the frequencies are not their and aren't ever coming back. Using a software plugin called MusicScope will verify this as true But there are people recording at 9624 or even higher formats that do make a high res release sound incredible! and of course taking a pure analog recording and mastering to a higher res format will also do the trick.

Welcome to the world of high resolution audio! Next step is to throw out all of your MP3's because you will now be mad at them and resent their inferior sound. lol
destinationsoun is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 07:08 AM   #14
destinationsoun
Minor Glitch
destinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810

Quote:

Agreed that it is a very debatable topic, however I do hear the difference. I like to compare it to overtones on an analog synth. When you turn some knobs associated with oscillator 2 its frequencies make the oscillator 1 do funny things and changes how we perceive oscillator 1. It sounds like it changed even though we didn't mess with it at all. It is simply the interaction of other frequencies.

This is a similar phenomenon with ultrasonic frequencies. They effect how we hear 20-20,000 hertz and effects the interaction of them.

Advertisements

destinationsoun is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote