OFFLINE promotion tecniques
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 23-05-2017, 09:09 AM   #1
Khappa MJ
Regular Freak
Khappa MJ will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
OFFLINE promotion tecniques

Hi guys,

i read a topic here in this section about how to make money with your music. In that topic many of you spoken about some promotion tecniques, i read almost the entire topic and replies but i hadn't watched any reply concerning OFFLINE promotion.

For my opinion offline promotion still remains the best way to promote any kind of content/product/service for every businesses in combination with online promotion. Online promotion itself is incomplete for this reason: there is not human relation.

So in this topic i'd like to list with you some offline promotion we can do by selves to achieve more views and followers. Im waiting your opinions:

For examples.
- Giving PresentationCards / Flyers to smal shops in many cities
- Leaving flyers to shopping centers in various cities
- Leaving PresentationCards / Flyers at bus stops (guerrilla marketing)

Advertisements

Khappa MJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Forget for a second the online promotion
Old 23-05-2017, 11:41 AM   #2
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 18160
Re: OFFLINE promotion tecniques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khappa MJ View Post
Hi guys,

i read a topic here in this section about how to make money with your music. In that topic many of you spoken about some promotion tecniques, i read almost the entire topic and replies but i hadn't watched any reply concerning OFFLINE promotion.

For my opinion offline promotion still remains the best way to promote any kind of content/product/service for every businesses in combination with online promotion. Online promotion itself is incomplete for this reason: there is not human relation.

So in this topic i'd like to list with you some offline promotion we can do by selves to achieve more views and followers. Im waiting your opinions:

For examples.
- Giving PresentationCards / Flyers to smal shops in many cities
- Leaving flyers to shopping centers in various cities
- Leaving PresentationCards / Flyers at bus stops (guerrilla marketing)
flyers and stuff are shit in this day and age because all people will do is noit read them and bin them plus flyers at bus stops will be used by slags either as toilet pap[er of to wipe up there vomit.
The only bit of personal marketing you can do is go to a club or a night where therews similer music your makeing is being played and just say you produce and then give out your soundcloud thats it.

Last edited by joem; 23-05-2017 at 12:03 PM..
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 01:38 PM   #3
Khappa MJ
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
flyers and stuff are shit in this day and age because all people will do is noit read them and bin them plus flyers at bus stops will be used by slags either as toilet pap[er of to wipe up there vomit.
The only bit of personal marketing you can do is go to a club or a night where therews similer music your makeing is being played and just say you produce and then give out your soundcloud thats it.

Im sorry but I dont think so man... The fact is that whenever someone got something "solid" just like a personal small good looking card its more than a Facebook "cold" message
Old 24-05-2017, 02:11 PM   #4
Narukami Music
Master of the LFO
Narukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MC
MC Status: 10160

Tbh, Joem's right. Real life promotion is kind of useless, at least in this day and age. Most people throw away flyers or cards, and it's a waste of paper anyway.

You say the reason why real life promotion works is because it's more "human". What's more human about it? Because it physically exists? If you were talking about music or movies, I'd understand. There really is something special about physical media. But advertising and promotional material aren't designed to last forever. They're designed to relay information as quickly and as efficiently as possible. So what's the difference between glancing at a piece of paper in front of you vs glancing at a piece of tweet on your phone? They're both gonna be forgotten in 5 seconds anyways.

Thing is, the method in which you promote something doesn't matter, what matters is how effective your promotion is. For example, a flyer or a poster for a movie about robots isn't that interesting. But a cardboard cutout of the robot in 1:1 scale would be freaking awesome.

------------------
Narukami Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 03:38 PM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8529430
Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,823 Posts

I think the bigger problem in promoting music is that most music is a super disposable fashion item. So, trying to reach a big audience isn't very useful anymore. Unfortunately, for most people an album release flier is on par with a McDonald's cheeseburger deal flier. The internet is good for music the tends away from this--the niche stuff. That is were those people congregate.

I'm nostalgic about IRL promotion as I was involved with a lot of it. I still think it is a good idea to go out and talk to people. Especially if you already have a bit of a reputation I think it is beneficial to be more than your online presence.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 12:21 PM   #6
Khappa MJ
Regular Freak

Exactly, in case of music, for my opinion, go out and do offline promo and then... online promo once you got in touch with new peoples is matter.

Online presence is a big deal, but this is the second step to do.
Old 26-05-2017, 09:40 PM   #7
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45941831
Thanked 5,673 Times in 3,575 Posts

Well the flier thing isn't all that popular anymore unless you've added bells and whistles. Some people I know have handed out usb flash drives with their album on it. Custom made ones with the band logo in them. Of course some people are just going to delete the music on it and do other shit with it but if you go to the right place where the audience is more likely to dig your tunes, then you'd be onto something. Me, I've got a stack of CDs 50 high I'm tempted to take to a show or two downtown and pass my band's stuff out for free. Might get some fans.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
Vault O))) (27-05-2017)
Old 27-05-2017, 04:32 AM   #8
Vault O)))
Eternal Echoer
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 34310

I have a stack of one of my releases sitting at a massage place. People aren't taking very many of them, but whatever. The label spraypainted the shit out of them, so I guess people don't want to get all gooey. They're being 'marketed' (for free) as meditative music, but I guess people are too into their rock and roll around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
Me, I've got a stack of CDs 50 high I'm tempted to take to a show or two downtown and pass my band's stuff out for free. Might get some fans.
I think this is a great idea. Knowing about local talent can mean a lot, IMO.

Advertisements

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote