Connecting mics to Flstudio
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 19-05-2017, 09:25 PM   #1
michellabruyere
Minor Glitch
michellabruyere will become famous soon enoughmichellabruyere will become famous soon enough
Antwerp
MC Status: 110
Connecting mics to Flstudio

I could, you know, read the help page of Flstudio. But then, there's probably this community knowing so much and having shit tons of experience.

How do you guys work with external mics in Flstudio? For example to record vocals or instruments.

Talking about music is like dancing about architecture - Frank Zappa

Advertisements

michellabruyere is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 09:27 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8529780
Thanked 6,777 Times in 4,830 Posts
Re: Connecting mics to Flstudio

I'm not sure what you are asking? Do you have a specific question about setting up a mic to record into FL Studio?

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 09:31 PM   #3
michellabruyere
Minor Glitch
michellabruyere will become famous soon enoughmichellabruyere will become famous soon enough
Antwerp

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I'm not sure what you are asking? Do you have a specific question about setting up a mic to record into FL Studio?
Yes! Sorry. Indeed. How do you best do this. Any good experiences here?

Talking about music is like dancing about architecture - Frank Zappa
Old 19-05-2017, 09:33 PM   #4
michellabruyere
Minor Glitch
Antwerp

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Also, I will rephrase when back sober.

ăiao
Old 19-05-2017, 09:34 PM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8529780
Thanked 6,777 Times in 4,830 Posts

One the mixer you first have to select the input from the input menu--you should see your audio interface's input options. Of course you should select the input (likely a pre-amp) the mic is connected to. I record the audio into Edison. You want a pretty hot, low-noise signal. Watch out for feedback, the microphone can't get too close to your monitors if they are turned on.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 11:00 PM   #6
Toothpinch
Microknight
Toothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1860

Also watch because I like to set one channel to record on - but if you go back, fiddle with some faders and forget and hit record - you could be recording on the wrong channel which really irks the crap out of me.

But yes. On the far right TOP on the fader rack where it says "none". Click and select your input audio device.

------------------
Toothpinch is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Toothpinch
relic (20-05-2017)
Old 20-05-2017, 04:24 AM   #7
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45941831
Thanked 5,673 Times in 3,575 Posts

Plug the mic into the input on the interface, set the input buffer to the lowest you can get it within the DAW or the interface's software control panel (64 samples, 128 samples, etc), arm the track to record, press record. Like relic stated you should try and get a decent amount of signal without clipping the input stage of the interface. I usually run mine hitting -10dB peak value and you'd do this by doing a mic check while the track is armed and using the interface gain/trim knob/slider to adjust the input level of the mic. From there it's just recording and after going through and cutting out pops and clicks manually in the resulting wav file.

Advertisements

Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
relic (20-05-2017)