Multipurpose Headphones
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 08-05-2017, 04:59 PM   #1
StampedeMe
Future Epic Ban Victim
StampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond repute
Elblag
MC Status: 4111
Multipurpose Headphones

Hi Lads,

Tried the search function around the forums but none of the topics totally matched my drift. I want to get a pair of cans to fit my needs. The thing is I want to use them outside the house on my regular walks and still be able to get a decent quality to make bedroom mixes in my flat, so that both purposes would serve listening to my music on the same reference headphones.

Outside they would be plugged into an iPhone/iPod, inside I got a PC and a Focusrite Scarlett Interface and no amp.

Any suggestions? The budget shouldn't be large, going outside means tangled cords, so an eventually replaceable cord is a bonus for sure. I have a pair of these for mainly outside listening ([Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
). Don't know what to look at really. Sennheiser 25HD? AKG K702? Any other? Would love to hear some input, thank you in advance.

Advertisements

------------------
Most of my posts begin with: "Well,"
StampedeMe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:13 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8537430
Thanked 6,930 Times in 4,932 Posts
Re: Multipurpose Headphones

I'd vote AKG 702 all day. I love mine. Although I prefer them with a headphone amp for mixing. Just listening I can do w/o it. Holy crap though, I'd rather have cheapy second pair for outside listening! I'd never take ~300 headphones outside. Not even on a nice day. But that is just me : )

Last edited by relic; 08-05-2017 at 06:24 PM..

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:59 PM   #3
StampedeMe
Future Epic Ban Victim
StampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond repute
Elblag
MC Status: 4111

Yeah, same thinking around here. I look for something to go on a similar loudness level on both PC and iPod/iPhone. The Bose (which I got as a gift) were exactly like that. To be honest that's why I'm afraid to take something expensive, just getting them into my backpack with 2-4 beers and when I'm stoned after the walk...too risky.

------------------
Most of my posts begin with: "Well,"
StampedeMe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:05 PM   #4
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 19660

senhiser hd 25s i use them all the time love them
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to joem
StampedeMe (16-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 09:45 PM   #5
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 32710

I've got some Superlux 688Bs I use for monitoring and checking mixes, as well as the occasional late night listen. I throw a custom eq on the master as a klugey Sonarworks type thing that helps with the little mid-low bump they have. For <$50 they work a treat for all that. 32 ohms so they'll push just fine with just an interface. I've owned some $600-800 headphones in the past (Senn, Grado, Beyer, etc) and they've never been worth the money for me. I really doubt I'll ever pay over $100 for a pair again as the slight benefits don't personally seem worth it.
Artificer is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
StampedeMe (16-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 03:24 AM   #6
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7237229

Sennheiser HD380 Pro.

Used them for everything from music listening, monitoring, video editing, field recording, plugged to a computer, zoom H5 or iPad, etc. Solid all around. Great sound, and they evidently act as ear warmers in the piercing cold of Finnish winter. Around 200€, though.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Blingley
StampedeMe (16-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 11:02 AM   #7
Dr. Sleaze
Microknight
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not who or where you think I am.
MC Status: 3710

The Samson SR 850 are more than worth the 50 bucks. I pretty much live in mine. Semi open back, so good for mixing and have good bass representation. They look and feel really cheap, but the sound that comes out of them doesn't sound cheap. Cable isn't detachable, but the the 1/8 to 1/4 in adapter is screw on.

Advertisements

Dr. Sleaze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Dr. Sleaze
StampedeMe (16-05-2017)