How laptop with a critical is a sound card?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 28-04-2017, 06:40 PM   #1
DoomBrain
Granular Poster
DoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 710
How laptop with a critical is a sound card?

Purchased a new HP laptop which has a reasonable spec with B&O sound (whatever that is).

But how critical is the onboard sound for processing tracks? As I can't upgrade internally I am pretty stuck for options right?

Advertisements

DoomBrain is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 07:20 PM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 171910
Thanked 3,438 Times in 2,566 Posts
Re: How laptop with a critical is a sound card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomBrain View Post
Purchased a new HP laptop which has a reasonable spec with B&O sound (whatever that is).

But how critical is the onboard sound for processing tracks? As I can't upgrade internally I am pretty stuck for options right?

Dude, if you're laptop comes with sound by Bang & Olufsen, you don't have much to worry about..it should sound pretty sweet, be that just playing tracks back or recording them in the first place.

For the record, Bang & Olufsen are a Danish company that have been in business since 1925 and were considered the makers of the best speakers / monitors at one stage, though that accolade has since moved on to other holders.

That said, they are still a high-end brand name and nothing to be ashamed of having in your system.

And, yes, the sound card IS important to the over-all sounds you can produce..but, again, if you have B & O sound, then I don't think you have much to worry about. Best way is to put your new system to the test and make some music..then play it back over a good set of headphones and compare the new track with older stuff you've done on your old system..it should be clear pretty fast if there's a difference and if it's a good or bad one.

Let us know how you get on.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 07:48 PM   #3
DoomBrain
Granular Poster
DoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Dude, if you're laptop comes with sound by Bang & Olufsen, you don't have much to worry about..it should sound pretty sweet, be that just playing tracks back or recording them in the first place.

For the record, Bang & Olufsen are a Danish company that have been in business since 1925 and were considered the makers of the best speakers / monitors at one stage, though that accolade has since moved on to other holders.

That said, they are still a high-end brand name and nothing to be ashamed of having in your system.

And, yes, the sound card IS important to the over-all sounds you can produce..but, again, if you have B & O sound, then I don't think you have much to worry about. Best way is to put your new system to the test and make some music..then play it back over a good set of headphones and compare the new track with older stuff you've done on your old system..it should be clear pretty fast if there's a difference and if it's a good or bad one.

Let us know how you get on.
Damn, I have just noticed how retarded this topic title is, geez.

Cheers for that, it does make me feel a little easier about it. I have made something on this laptop but I am unhappy with it although this could be due to my own fault messing up the mastering and levels.

The older PC had a decent Sound Blaster in it, processed quite well (I thought anyway).
Old 28-04-2017, 07:56 PM   #4
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Damn, I have just noticed how retarded this topic title is, geez.

Cheers for that, it does make me feel a little easier about it. I have made something on this laptop but I am unhappy with it although this could be due to my own fault messing up the mastering and levels.

The older PC had a decent Sound Blaster in it, processed quite well (I thought anyway).
Yeah..the title hooked me in..just wanted to see if it was some kind of shit post, but it obviously wasn't.

Regarding the whole sound thing..you need to get used to the new system, so give it time. Can you PM me the specs of your new system, paying attention to the sound card / audio hardware installed on it and I'll see what I can find out for you.

The thing is you might just have some software audio manager from B&O..rather than a card made by them, in which case that might not be so good..depends on the actually card installed.

------------------
Old 28-04-2017, 10:29 PM   #5
Toothpinch
Microknight
Toothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1860

Quote:
Yeah..the title hooked me in..just wanted to see if it was some kind of shit post, but it obviously wasn't.
Same. lol

Only thing I'd say is just be careful of possible sound fluff drivers etc that boost bass, surround sound etc that could mess with a mix.

Should be good to go.

------------------
Toothpinch is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 10:35 PM   #6
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 29660

The built in sound on any computer is substandard compared to even the most basic external interface. There's just not enough room, heat dissipation and processing power for the circuitry required for quality preamps and AD/DA conversion and buffering. It's only there so you can watch youtube videos and Netflix with sound - it's not meant to do any real processing. Anything you record into the mic/line in is going to sound terrible and you'll likely have latency and/or quality issues with processed sound and VST type things.

That said, most of that is dependent on what you're wanting to do. If it works for you, great. If not, pick up a cheap used interface off ebay and get to rockin'.
Artificer is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 10:42 PM   #7
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
The built in sound on any computer is substandard compared to even the most basic external interface. There's just not enough room, heat dissipation and processing power for the circuitry required for quality preamps and AD/DA conversion and buffering. It's only there so you can watch youtube videos and Netflix with sound - it's not meant to do any real processing. Anything you record into the mic/line in is going to sound terrible and you'll likely have latency and/or quality issues with processed sound and VST type things.

That said, most of that is dependent on what you're wanting to do. If it works for you, great. If not, pick up a cheap used interface off ebay and get to rockin'.

Yeah..and as I suggested via PM, give ASIO4ALL a try first, as it can work wonders on a crappy setup..not implying yours is shite in anyway..just saying.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
Artificer (28-04-2017)
Old 28-04-2017, 11:00 PM   #8
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 29660

Quote:
Yeah..and as I suggested via PM, give ASIO4ALL a try first, as it can work wonders on a crappy setup..not implying yours is shite in anyway..just saying.
Absolutely. ASIO4ALL is amazing in a lot of situations. A bit of turd polish isn't the worst thing in the world and you can definitely get a lot of mileage out of tweaking what you've got when it's all you've got.
Artificer is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
A.M (29-04-2017)
Old 29-04-2017, 02:23 AM   #9
White Noise
Deep Underground
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 19560

ASIO4ALL is all I've ever used! But yeah, for all your audio outs, I'd go into windows audio settings and disable all enhancements (that's an actual checkmark). Bang and Olufsen is a cool company (I'd like to have one of their older turntables someday), but most audio companies are going to get the actual DAC that does the work from AKM, Sabre, or Texas Instruments. In a laptop, your amps are going to be op amps, probably Texas Instruments as well. B&O just selects components and lays them out to try and minimize noise.

------------------
Also, check this out.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to White Noise
A.M (29-04-2017)
Old 29-04-2017, 05:43 PM   #10
DoomBrain
Granular Poster

Interesting and useful feedback, but would this build in card have any substandard qualities for processing/exporting an audio file in Reason (or any other digital DAW) compared to a high end desk top one?

Slightly off topic, but if given the choice for an all hardware set up, would this be better for producing a raw techno sound?
Old 29-04-2017, 07:07 PM   #11
A.M

Quote:
Interesting and useful feedback, but would this build in card have any substandard qualities for processing/exporting an audio file in Reason (or any other digital DAW) compared to a high end desk top one?

Slightly off topic, but if given the choice for an all hardware set up, would this be better for producing a raw techno sound?

Being totally honest, there's a lot you can do with a generic sound card, by means of EQ..but it really is a case of you get what you pay for..meaning no standard card is going to give you the same results as a high-end one will.

Like I said before, give this new system a chance and take it for a test drive and see what you end up with..it's the only way to know for sure just what the in-built sound card can do in a music production setting. Then, when you have something to share, upload it to SoundCloud and we can have a listen and see how it sounds.

But, long story short, don't worry too much about it just yet, as you really don't know what your system can or can't do at this stage. Once you have something produced with this system, then you can really tell if there is anything wrong with the sound..and maybe then think about what steps you need to take at that point.

Regardless, we're here to help..so just come back and keep us updated on how things are going with this..OK?

Regarding an all-hardware setup..the in-built sound card really becomes a moot point, as at that point you're looking at getting an external interface anyway to connect everything to your PC..so that wouldn't be an issue.

The sound you get would really depend on the synths you use to make your music..but the PC you haver should be just fine for hooking up hardware to.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
DoomBrain (01-05-2017)
Old 29-04-2017, 07:08 PM   #12
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 104850
Thanked 2,071 Times in 1,356 Posts

The actual sound file produced by your DAW has nothing to do with your audio interface. Quality of sounds recorded, and quality of sounds output through your speakers/headphones yes. Latency when playing MIDI Devices, also yes.

That being said, if you are into this whole music making thing - at some point you are going to likely want at least a cheap audio interface.

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Oatbag
A.M (29-04-2017)
Old 29-04-2017, 07:14 PM   #13
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatbag View Post
The actual sound file produced by your DAW has nothing to do with your audio interface. Quality of sounds recorded, and quality of sounds output through your speakers/headphones yes. Latency when playing MIDI Devices, also yes.

That being said, if you are into this whole music making thing - at some point you are going to likely want at least a cheap audio interface.
I think you better clarify that a little for him/her, OB..that bit about the DAW might be confusing..given you go on to say the quality of sounds recorded and sounds output through your speakers are affected.

------------------
Old 29-04-2017, 07:38 PM   #14
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8529380
Thanked 6,769 Times in 4,823 Posts

I'd say if you are actually recording instruments either directly or with a mic you'll want a proper interface. The other big concern is, of course, how flat the signal is when it hits your monitors or headphones.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Numerical (29-04-2017)
Old 29-04-2017, 07:57 PM   #15
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45941831
Thanked 5,673 Times in 3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I'd say if you are actually recording instruments either directly or with a mic you'll want a proper interface. The other big concern is, of course, how flat the signal is when it hits your monitors or headphones.
This here. Just buy an audio interface. They come in hundreds of variations for any budget. It's just a breakout box that plugs in through the USB on your laptop. You'd have to install the drivers and then set your laptop's default sound recorder to be the audio interface but that's fairly easy to do.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:33 PM   #16
DoomBrain
Granular Poster

Thanks for all the input on this, id like to think I will invest in an audio interface at some point especially if I will record sounds.

I did find that when recording an old keyboard years ago, the sound was so much more raw compared to digital emulators. As for the processing of audio not being relevant, I understand this now. What is important obviously is hearing your own music and frequencies correct so you can adjust and mix, I guess.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:45 AM   #17
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744022941
Thanked 7,110 Times in 4,428 Posts

You seem a bit confused on a few things and terminology.
Have a bit of a read around the forum, we've been through a lot of your questions with people before.
Your equipment has (virtually) no effect on what styles of music you can make.

------------------
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
DoomBrain (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 09:11 AM   #18
DoomBrain
Granular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
You seem a bit confused on a few things and terminology.
Have a bit of a read around the forum, we've been through a lot of your questions with people before.
Your equipment has (virtually) no effect on what styles of music you can make.

No shit mate!, I mean have you seen the title of the topic?

Knowledge is power as they say, must keep reading.

Advertisements