Help with latency issue
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 03-01-2017, 04:29 PM   #1
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 47610
Icon5 Help with latency issue

I've run into an odd issue, which I think is a latency issue.

I'm running my Avalon through an analog compressor, into my mixer, with a send into an FX chain comprised of Strymon Mobius, Big Sky, and Timeline. Return is through the mixer into a MOTU 828x.

MIDI master is Maschine, sending to a MOTU MIDI Express XT, which routed MIDI to all the above units (except the mixer). Avalon responds fine to transport and program change.

The odd bahavior is this:

As the pattern plays on the Avalon the sequence start point is slowly drifting out of sync and keeps drifting to return back into sync (compared to the kick, running on the Rytm). Latency, so I thought, would lead to a noticeable delay, but a constant one. It seems that each time the pattern (16 beats) restarts it seems to move by some increment.

I am sequencing my gear from Maschine and I observed this issue during looping a scene, which means that every 4 bars the program change signal is re-sent. However, the Avalon is set up to respond to a pattern change only upon playing the previous pattern to the end.
I've used this FX chain without a problem before. I've also used Maschine in this manner before, albeit without the Avalon. Also, running the rig hardware only (transport only with Octatrack as master) gives no latency whatsoever, so I don't think it's the FX chain.

Can someone please let me know what I might even want to look at? I'm a bit at a loss here.

Thanks!

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:05 PM   #2
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744015841
Thanked 6,968 Times in 4,345 Posts
Re: Help with latency issue

Sounds like you may have a midi clock drift issue.
Is there anywhere that you can set a resolution or retrigger for that?

edit: I take it you do have everything synced via MIDI, yeah?
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:20 AM   #3
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 47610
Re: Help with latency issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Sounds like you may have a midi clock drift issue.
Is there anywhere that you can set a resolution or retrigger for that?

edit: I take it you do have everything synced via MIDI, yeah?
Yes, everything is synced via MIDI. Current workaround is to use another port on Maschine and connect to the Avalon directly. No drift is seen that way.

As per the manual's suggestion I set the time code to internal on the MOTU as this is claimed to be more stable MTC and MMC are routed from Maschine to the MOTU to slave the MIDI interface, and MTC and MMC are routed to all hardware units from the MOTU, as are all MIDI signals. Not sure MMC is implemented in Maschine, so that part of the setup may not do anything. As I set it up, I thought this should do the trick. It's not clear to me why it would only be one unit that experiences this weird sync issue.

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote