Beat Battle 43: the riffin'ing
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Beat Battles A dedicated area to discuss Beat Battle contests

Old 11-11-2016, 08:30 AM   #1
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 25310
Beat Battle 43: the riffin'ing

THE CHALLENGE

The Battle Host must provide a sample set to be used for the battle. These samples are the only sound sources allowed, unless the Additional Rules for the battle state otherwise. The samples can be anything that the Battle Host has the right to distribute for non-commercial use.

The Battle Host must create three Additional Rules. These can allow or require additional sound sources, or impose any kind of new requirements.

THE CONTEST

Anyone can enter the Battle by posting a link to their entry in the Battle thread. Unless the Additional Rules state otherwise, any processing is allowed and the source samples need not be recognizable. The Host may disqualify any entry that does not meet either the general rules or the additional ones.

Once the submission deadline is reached, the winner is elected by posting votes in the same thread. Anyone is welcome to vote whether they participated or not. In case of a draw, the Host designates the winner between the submissions tied for first place.

THE DEADLINES

Each battle takes place over two weeks, starting on a Friday 11th November
Submissions close Tuesday 21th November 23:59 and votes open at 00:00 on the 11th day.

Voting closes at 23:59 on the 17th day Thursday 23th November.

The winner then becomes the Host, and has until 23:59 on the 14th day to post a new thread with a new sample set and new rules.

Late Submissions are void to receiving a vote

All times are UTC.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yo what up..

gotta come up with some rulez.

1. Dynamic as possible. You can use compression or whatever, but I'm talking in an arrangement sense. Ever heard an orchestra in person? You have to strain to hear that one violin playing by itself, and then they sucker punch you with the whole orchestra and you like "awww shit"

2. lots of stereo shit. Hard pan stuff.. modulation effects. you know, stereo shit.

3. make one point which is the clear apex of the piece. Like.. there's no mistake about it, this is when everybody is creaming their pants.

TEH SMAPLES

(some good ones from my private stash)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Go forth and battle among the beats.

Last edited by mnkvolcno; 15-11-2016 at 08:17 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:14 AM   #2
Narukami Music
Master of the LFO
Narukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MC
MC Status: 10160
Re: Beat Battle 43: the riffin'ing

Didn't do the last one because I'm a lazy POS but the rules on this one are definitely interesting. Gonna see if I can come up with something!

------------------
Narukami Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Narukami Music
MFXxx (11-11-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 10:52 AM   #3
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80991680
Thanked 4,029 Times in 2,611 Posts

make the fucking music and stfu

this is the new tone of the bbs now

bbs stands for baby bull shit

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Lug
mnkvolcno (11-11-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #4
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18024269

loving the rules youve set, they open for some really creative ideas.
i will try my best to get on this one.

just to confirm, the rules are now a combination of these rules and the previous ones listed below?

1. Simples. Make something musical that lasts at least 2mins 30secs and if it sounds like EDM, you have failed, IDM for the win!

2. You must use at least 2 of the musical samples in their original form, however you can process with inserts on the track.

3. Be creative. Go outside your comfort zone. Make it interesting to the listener and not just you. The WOW Factor is "HOW THE FUCK DID THEY DO THAT".

Last edited by Parricide; 11-11-2016 at 02:40 PM..

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Parricide
mnkvolcno (11-11-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 02:54 PM   #5
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC

no the previous rules were just for the previous bb. Now it's just the three volcno set and the general rules, which basically sum up to no outside samples allowed.

"The Battle Host must provide a sample set to be used for the battle. These samples are the only sound sources allowed, unless the Additional Rules for the battle state otherwise. The samples can be anything that the Battle Host has the right to distribute for non-commercial use.

The Battle Host must create three Additional Rules. These can allow or require additional sound sources, or impose any kind of new requirements."

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Old 11-11-2016, 04:08 PM   #6
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post
make the fucking music and stfu

this is the new tone of the bbs now

bbs stands for baby bull shit
Relevant sample inside.

------------------
Old 11-11-2016, 08:05 PM   #7
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1832627

Very workable samples mate, thanks...expecting great things from the subs in this BB. As always.
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to MFXxx
mnkvolcno (13-11-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 08:41 PM   #8
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post
no the previous rules were just for the previous bb. Now it's just the three volcno set and the general rules, which basically sum up to no outside samples allowed.

"The Battle Host must provide a sample set to be used for the battle. These samples are the only sound sources allowed, unless the Additional Rules for the battle state otherwise. The samples can be anything that the Battle Host has the right to distribute for non-commercial use.

The Battle Host must create three Additional Rules. These can allow or require additional sound sources, or impose any kind of new requirements."
thanks for clearing that up. this is going to be fun

------------------
signature loading...
Old 11-11-2016, 08:57 PM   #9
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 20010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkvolcno View Post
THE CHALLENGE

The Battle Host must provide a sample set to be used for the battle. These samples are the only sound sources allowed, unless the Additional Rules for the battle state otherwise. The samples can be anything that the Battle Host has the right to distribute for non-commercial use.

The Battle Host must create three Additional Rules. These can allow or require additional sound sources, or impose any kind of new requirements.

THE CONTEST

Anyone can enter the Battle by posting a link to their entry in the Battle thread. Unless the Additional Rules state otherwise, any processing is allowed and the source samples need not be recognizable. The Host may disqualify any entry that does not meet either the general rules or the additional ones.

Once the submission deadline is reached, the winner is elected by posting votes in the same thread. Anyone is welcome to vote whether they participated or not. In case of a draw, the Host designates the winner between the submissions tied for first place.

THE DEADLINES

Each battle takes place over two weeks, starting on a Friday 11th November
Submissions close Tuesday 21th November 23:59 and votes open at 00:00 on the 11th day.

Voting closes at 23:59 on the 17th day Thursday 10th November.

The winner then becomes the Host, and has until 23:59 on the 14th day to post a new thread with a new sample set and new rules.

Late Submissions are void to receiving a vote

All times are UTC.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yo what up..

gotta come up with some rulez.

1. Dynamic as possible. You can use compression or whatever, but I'm talking in an arrangement sense. Ever heard an orchestra in person? You have to strain to hear that one violin playing by itself, and then they sucker punch you with the whole orchestra and you like "awww shit"

2. lots of stereo shit. Hard pan stuff.. modulation effects. you know, stereo shit.

3. make one point which is the clear apex of the piece. Like.. there's no mistake about it, this is when everybody is creaming their pants.

TEH SMAPLES

(some good ones from my private stash)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Go forth and battle among the beats.
I got a lot of time this weekend, gonna work on some dope beets how many times has this joke been made now?

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:03 PM   #10
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt

i dunno, but if you could somehow infuse beets with thc you would literally have dope beats

------------------
Old 11-11-2016, 09:06 PM   #11
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkvolcno View Post
i dunno, but if you could somehow infuse beets with thc you would literally have dope beats
I need to try this.

------------------

Old 12-11-2016, 12:08 AM   #12
7asid
Knob Twiddler
7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute
Vancouver
MC Status: 7110

rules on this one are just pretty good general production advice tbh

------------------
-------------------------------------------------

7asid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:12 AM   #13
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7asid View Post
Haha.. True

------------------
Old 12-11-2016, 11:37 AM   #14
Lug
Soxdix

Quote:
haha

1. eat fruit and vegetables
2. take a break from the screen every 20 minutes
3. call your mom once in a while

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Old 12-11-2016, 01:25 PM   #15
Parricide

Quote:
i read them as exaggerations, more dynamic than usual, and a really wide mix that would never successfully be pressed to vinyl. maybe i just got over excited though? i dont care, im over exaggerating the rules anyway

------------------
signature loading...
Thanks to Parricide
mnkvolcno (13-11-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 11:38 PM   #16
7asid
Knob Twiddler
7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute
Vancouver
MC Status: 7110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
i read them as exaggerations, more dynamic than usual, and a really wide mix that would never successfully be pressed to vinyl. maybe i just got over excited though? i dont care, im over exaggerating the rules anyway

haha i like that interpretation, looking forward!

------------------

7asid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to 7asid
Parricide (13-11-2016)
Old 13-11-2016, 12:30 AM   #17
Parricide

i started throwing some ideas around and i seem to be going in a direction that is kinda new for me.
im having a lot of fun with it so far, but its a bit of a technical mess

------------------
signature loading...
Old 13-11-2016, 01:00 AM   #18
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt

@parracide

your interpretation is spot on.

(ok.. this turned out a lot longer than expected)

I'll share a little of my thoughts on the matter (even though nobody asked.. i love the internet). Working with extreme dynamic range is really a whole different paradigm. Keeping as much dynamic range as possible is a great practice in general, but that's not exactly what I'm talking about here.

Even in the context of pop, keeping dynamic range is good.. but there is still a lot less dynamic range than there is in an orchestra (for example). Consider this: What is the total dynamic range of a guitar? And how many "grains" of dynamics can we differentiate between? Not that many really.

But think about a string section in an orchestra. The violin is a pretty dynamic instrument to itself, but when you combine that with the fact that the composer will specify how many violins play at any given moment, and how loud each one plays, that really adds a whole dimension.

It allows for much more emotional impact in one regard. But the downside is that it is very demanding on the playback device. I think this is the (rarely mentioned) reason for the loudness wars. The shittier the playback device, the less accurately it can playback the subtly of dynamic range.

and another thing.. when you are mixing a pop song, and you want each instrument to be as loud and clear as possible, there is less room for different elements to inhabit the same place in frequency spectrum. It's just a matter of head room. If a guitar is peaking at -6db at 400hz (lol wouldn't happen) that means you only have 6 db for any other instrument to take up at 400 hz at that moment,so you would have to brutally eq other elements.

When overall loudness is not a concern, it doesn't matter. Just turn everything down if things start clipping. You can have as many elements in one space as you want. Again, the downside is that, the shittier the playback device, the more it's going to sound like a mess. But, if someone is listening on really nice monitors, it might soudn really interesting.

------------------
Thanks to mnkvolcno
Parricide (13-11-2016)
Old 14-11-2016, 08:33 PM   #19
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1832627

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Just reread the rules and they're very thoughtful for production techniques, well done chap. Going to enjoy this one

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 08:35 PM   #20
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXxx View Post
@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Just reread the rules and they're very thoughtful for production techniques, well done chap. Going to enjoy this one
I actually think I'm going to hold off for this one, I can't do anything with the samples, no matter how hard I try, I feel uninspired, I don't know...

Advertisements

------------------