Are Soundcloud tags working? Have embeds been changed?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Suggestions & Feedback Constructive feedback space about the forum, the IDMf label, or improvements you'd like to see.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:53 PM   #1
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65360
Thanked 1,307 Times in 986 Posts
Icon5 [SOLVED] Are Soundcloud tags working? Have embeds been changed?

EDIT: solved around November 1, 2015

Quote:
Recently, all of sudden, SoundCloud embeddings aren't playing on my FireFox 41.0.1 web browser.

I didn't change anything, and it's ONLY IDMforums that they don't play on.
They show up, but clicking on the play button doesn't start them playing.
If I click on Info I can get to the SoundCloud page which plays just fine.

However, I noticed that for a few days it was trying to send "event=https://artist/tune" instead of "https://artist/tune" for the beginning of the link.
Is this part of the problem? Did somebody fix that, because it stopped today... ?

It never used to do this before. I think maybe somebody at IDMf changed the embed code functioning? Nothing else anywhere else changed, and it's only this site that is wierd. Other forum sites work fine. I have flash installed of course. Everything worked fine about a week ago. I verified that it's not AdBlock or any other plugins.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Nystagmus; 01-11-2015 at 11:47 PM.. Reason: stu and the gang fixed the tags

Advertisements

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:52 PM   #2
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153460
Thanked 3,069 Times in 2,152 Posts
Re: Are SoundCloud tags working? Have embeds been changed?

This has been happening to me all week on Chrome. I've tried disabling add-ons and nothing seems to fix it either
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:05 AM   #3
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744016291
Thanked 6,977 Times in 4,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
I think maybe somebody at IDMf changed the embed code functioning?
Why would they?
Seems highly unlikely to me.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:01 PM   #4
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
Icon5 Re: Are SoundCloud tags working? Have embeds been changed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Why would they?
Seems highly unlikely to me.
Then why would the functioning change and only on this site?
There have been times in the past where there were technical difficulties due to pending forum improvements. I'm not making accusations I just wanted to find out how to get soundcloud functionality back for this site.

nothing on my end changed. and soundcloud plays fine by iteself.
did soundcloud change their own embedding scripts in a way that only affects IDMf? that seems unlikely also

anyways, please tell an admin

------------------

Old 05-10-2015, 08:32 PM   #5
Benwaa

it also changed on facebook. SC have changed how their player embeds so it takes you to the site instead, tracking related shizzle methinks.

however, i am the same firefox version and get no playback issues with the embedded players on here
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Benwaa
lolirl (06-10-2015)
Old 06-10-2015, 03:39 AM   #6
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.

OK thanks Benwaa.
If soundcloud changed their player's ownembedding behavior then there's nothing I can do about it.
Dang frustrating. But oh well
Thanks.

EDIT: Hey, tonight the tags started working again! I'll test some other links to make sure.
This is wierd but a relief.

Hey thanks you guys if you tweaked something for compatibility.

Last edited by Nystagmus; 06-10-2015 at 06:31 AM..

------------------

Old 06-10-2015, 07:05 AM   #7
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105317589

Works quite well for me.

------------------
Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jVs
Nystagmus (06-10-2015)
Old 06-10-2015, 06:10 PM   #8
Psychotronic
Digital Surfer
Psychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MC
MC Status: 18397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
it also changed on facebook. SC have changed how their player embeds so it takes you to the site instead, tracking related shizzle methinks.

however, i am the same firefox version and get no playback issues with the embedded players on here
Oh... so i send my pm to the wrong guy. Anyway, i'll post it here:

I'd like to ask a favour.

Can you please upgrade your vbulletin custom bb code scripts, most services(Vimeo, Youtube, Dailymotion, Soundcloud, etc) deliver new embed codes that are capable of running optionally without flash using the html5 audio and video tags nearly all browsers support at current date.

Here is what i use on my own vbulletin forums. (German musician community)

Soundcloud BB Code:

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url={param}&amp;color=ff5500&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false"></iframe>
(The current version can be fetched by pressing share on a soundcloud track and then switching to the embed tab. You'll find the code in the small input field. As for all vbulletin bb code tags, you just need to add the {param} variable. See manual.)

See here for a demo:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Same goes for youtube and others.

I also coded a little piece that switches our mp3 player integration to the html5 audio tag, if a user does not have flash installed. (iDevices, etc.)

This is the code i came up with:

1. Check if you have jquery.js in your page, if not -> [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
(it does not fuck with the scripts vbulletin ships, you will not notice it)

2. Add this script(that uses jquery) to your pages html head tag:

Code:
 <script>
    var hasFlash = false;
    try {
        var fo = new ActiveXObject('ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash');
        if (fo) {
            hasFlash = true;
        }
    } catch (e) {
        if (navigator.mimeTypes
            && navigator.mimeTypes['application/x-shockwave-flash'] != undefined
            && navigator.mimeTypes['application/x-shockwave-flash'].enabledPlugin) {
            hasFlash = true;
        }
    }

if(hasFlash) {
        $("<style type='text/css'> .hideIfFlash{ display: none; } </style>").appendTo("head");
    } else {
        $("<style type='text/css'> .hideIfNotFlash{ display: none; }</style>").appendTo("head");
    }
</script>
This code is very simple, it tries to find out if the users browser has flash installed. If flash is installed, then the script add a css class to the page, that can be used to hide areas of the page if flash is active. Or if flash is not installed then it adds a css class that can be used to hide all flash based parts of the page.

After installing this, you can use the css classes in the custom bb code if your forums like this:

Code:
    <div class="hideIfNotFlash">
    <!-- copy the code of your current flash based mp3 player here -->
    </div>
    <div class="hideIfFlash"><audio src="{param}" controls></audio><br><i>{param}</i></div>
This way you can support both versions of players.

Have phun.
Psychotronic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:20 AM   #9
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153460
Thanked 3,069 Times in 2,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post

EDIT: Hey, tonight the tags started working again! I'll test some other links to make sure.
This is wierd but a relief.

Hey thanks you guys if you tweaked something for compatibility.
Yep. I noticed that everything plays now as well. I wonder what that was.

Does anybody have the new gray box with an added play button over the soundcloud embeds themselves? When that started originally, that's when I couldn't actually listen to the embed. Now, I just click both play buttons and everything works.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:02 AM   #10
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
Icon5 Re: Are SoundCloud tags working? Have embeds been changed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
Does anybody have the new gray box with an added play button over the soundcloud embeds themselves? When that started originally, that's when I couldn't actually listen to the embed. Now, I just click both play buttons and everything works.
I have never seen that.

------------------

Old 29-10-2015, 10:41 PM   #11
Jazzyspoon
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
Jazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 35994296
Re: Are Soundcloud tags working? Have embeds been changed?

It's back. It must be how Chrome is handling the code somehow, but I also suspect it's something in this forum's coding. It won't even redirect to Soundcloud's site when you press on it.

Last edited by Jazzyspoon; 29-10-2015 at 10:47 PM..

------------------
Jazzyspoon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 10:45 PM   #12
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42368299
Thanked 4,686 Times in 3,060 Posts

As suggested elsewhere, it looks like its so they can do the play-analyzing thing better locally on their site than through the embedded player.

Just another nail really. The more they make it less convenient, the less people will want to use it.

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 10:50 PM   #13
Jazzyspoon
Jazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MC
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercogburn View Post
As suggested elsewhere, it looks like its so they can do the play-analyzing thing better locally on their site than through the embedded player.

Just another nail really. The more they make it less convenient, the less people will want to use it.
But it's working on every other site and forum I am using - including my own website - just fine.

------------------
Old 29-10-2015, 11:56 PM   #14
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42368299
Thanked 4,686 Times in 3,060 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzyspoon View Post
But it's working on every other site and forum I am using - including my own website - just fine.
Ah okies.

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 12:11 AM   #15
Jazzyspoon
Denver, CO

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Old 30-10-2015, 12:13 AM   #16
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.

Yeah, until we get HTML5 support, it won't work.

------------------

Thanks to Nystagmus
Jazzyspoon (30-10-2015)
Old 30-10-2015, 12:16 AM   #17
Jazzyspoon
Denver, CO

Is that even possible in our current forum package?

------------------
Old 30-10-2015, 12:25 AM   #18
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.

Benwaa would know but he might give another one of his satyrical mystical nonsensical answers too.

------------------

Old 30-10-2015, 09:41 AM   #19
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744016291
Thanked 6,977 Times in 4,349 Posts

No it's not possible as far as I know, since we're running an older version of vBulletin.
It'll be much quicker if you all just switch to some other website that we can still support.
Ben seems to champion hearthis.at but there's tags for Bandcamp, Spoitify and Mixcloud too.
It's not our fault.
Sorry, not sorry.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 11:09 AM   #20
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6898659
Thanked 3,389 Times in 2,053 Posts

Looking at the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
It probably wouldn't be too difficult.

I think it would just be a matter of creating a new bbCode to test the HTML5 player. Then testing it out from embeds from existing posts to make sure it works. Backing up the old one just in case, then replacing it with the new one.

However, I would have to read up the current SC embeds because the last time I implemented the HTML5 player it was totally different from the flash embed. That was a couple of years ago though so it might be easier to switch from one to the other. I'll have a look.

Advertisements

------------------
For reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God*

satan = f i d
my master, my god, my lord and savior = f i d d y
my boner = f i d e l i u m

* I am not God.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote