JJAWM - relic
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Quarterly Album Writing Month (QAWM) IDMf's Quarterly Album Writing Month project. Find all things QAWM related PLUS members own QAWM music!

Old 17-06-2015, 12:53 AM   #1
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8537430
Thanked 6,930 Times in 4,932 Posts
JJAWM - relic

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Recorded this dub today...multitracked into FL Studio and a bit of fiddling...no editing. Its a bit of a long jam...all hardware...a bit of compression and such in FL Studio...judicious use of U-he Satin and Presswerk.

Anyone know how to embed from hearthis.at?

going to edit down to something that makes more sense

Last edited by relic; 17-06-2015 at 01:15 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Kvlt O))) (18-06-2015)
Old 17-06-2015, 01:07 AM   #2
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80993330
Thanked 4,062 Times in 2,634 Posts
Re: JJAWM - relic

can't access the track with that link :s

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 01:10 AM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

fuuuudge

------------------
Old 17-06-2015, 01:12 AM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Should work now...

------------------
Old 17-06-2015, 03:09 AM   #5
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33060

I dug it man..chilled out..smooth..but yet dubby..kudos man.

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Str8Jaketed
relic (17-06-2015)
Old 17-06-2015, 03:19 AM   #6
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!

Electrix huh ..I think you would really dig one of those old MXRs man..or maybe a Delta Lab..loves those old things..

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

Old 17-06-2015, 03:30 AM   #7
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

hahaha...yea...filter factory all over this...I'd like to get another knobby rack filter at some point..you got.good ears or some other kind of magic?

------------------
Thanks to relic
Str8Jaketed (18-06-2015)
Old 17-06-2015, 09:49 AM   #8
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC

I dig the live jam and the dubby delays but the track failed to really grab me. I think I would've liked the kick to be less in the forefront and more of a muffled pulse. I think some variation in the beat could've made it tighter, too. I like the sound of these congas but they didn't seem to complement the kick+hat background that doesn't change throughout.
I didn't really like that pitching down vocal sound. Maybe as a fill but in a loop, not so much. I kinda feel like everything "floats", both rhythmically and harmonically, which doesn't really help to find some strong support and to get in the groove. It could be a question of a very little subtle thing like a hat or a anticipated snare hit, something that ties it all together rhythmically, and then everything would fall into place, I don't know, I just couldn't find that tie when I was listening to your track.
I liked some ideas like at 6:05 the main melody riff seems to disintegrate. Could've been developed and used as a pathway to someplace else. Same with that breakdown around 12' where you have everything together and some filter twiddling action but in the end it just falls back on the beat and it kinda lets you down. I think you could actually listen to the stuff that comes out of the jam and let the track unfold and go places you had not anticipated. I kinda feel like you played it safe here

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Thanks to Lug
relic (17-06-2015)
Old 17-06-2015, 02:05 PM   #9
DJ_MaxFaith
Learning The Ropes
DJ_MaxFaith is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

How you guys managing to get it to work, i just get a page load error, 404 or soemthing
DJ_MaxFaith is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 02:40 PM   #10
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post
I dig the live jam and the dubby delays but the track failed to really grab me. I think I would've liked the kick to be less in the forefront and more of a muffled pulse. I think some variation in the beat could've made it tighter, too. I like the sound of these congas but they didn't seem to complement the kick+hat background that doesn't change throughout.
I didn't really like that pitching down vocal sound. Maybe as a fill but in a loop, not so much. I kinda feel like everything "floats", both rhythmically and harmonically, which doesn't really help to find some strong support and to get in the groove. It could be a question of a very little subtle thing like a hat or a anticipated snare hit, something that ties it all together rhythmically, and then everything would fall into place, I don't know, I just couldn't find that tie when I was listening to your track.
I liked some ideas like at 6:05 the main melody riff seems to disintegrate. Could've been developed and used as a pathway to someplace else. Same with that breakdown around 12' where you have everything together and some filter twiddling action but in the end it just falls back on the beat and it kinda lets you down. I think you could actually listen to the stuff that comes out of the jam and let the track unfold and go places you had not anticipated. I kinda feel like you played it safe here
this is all great. thank you. I'm with you on all points. even if I were to edit this into something else, as is, I'm not sure it would work any better. listening back last night I felt there was too much of that pitched vocal. I was kinda going for laid back and floaty but there does really need to be something for the listener to grab onto. and saying I plaid it safe is spot on...this was me just doing mutes off one pattern I think I need to develop a couple more and really go back to the first one. I've been listening to a lot of house lately but I think i need to listen w a note pad

------------------
Old 18-06-2015, 01:56 AM   #11
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

cranked another beat today...hopefully makes a bit more sense than the last one...again gonna edit this live jam into something that makes more sense later

edit. oh yea...I wrote something upbeat!

------------------
Old 18-06-2015, 03:36 AM   #12
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

Listening through this one now mang and really liking it. I like how it changes from what I thought was going to be a darkish feel to a brighter vibe. Between the first and the second offerings of this thread I take the second. Also love that hiss thats going on. the 2:58 min mark is sublime! Still listening through but those are my initial feelings.

Nice work this.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to RFJ
relic (18-06-2015)
Old 18-06-2015, 03:55 AM   #13
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
Listening through this one now mang and really liking it. I like how it changes from what I thought was going to be a darkish feel to a brighter vibe. Between the first and the second offerings of this thread I take the second. Also love that hiss thats going on. the 2:58 min mark is sublime! Still listening through but those are my initial feelings.

Nice work this.
cool...yea maybe I can bring out that dark versus light thing a bit more...thanks for the listen and comments

------------------
Old 18-06-2015, 07:56 AM   #14
Str8Jaketed
GET OFF MY LAWN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
hahaha...yea...filter factory all over this...I'd like to get another knobby rack filter at some point..you got.good ears or some other kind of magic?

Little bit of both my friend..Electrix makes a great product line.MOFX rocks also..see them in skittles racks to sitting rather defiantly in studio racks right next to their expensive big bros( Bricasti.Lex,AMS etc). they have a great flavor to them..reminds me of the Line6 ECHO and Filter 1U rack series.

------------------

Old 18-06-2015, 08:51 AM   #15
Lug
Soxdix

yeh! that second track sounds way better, catchy as hell and indeed very upbeat.

Quote:
cool...yea maybe I can bring out that dark versus light thing a bit more...thanks for the listen and comments
if you do that it'd be kickass. Like if it went into the dark dimension after the breakdown at 5:20, it'd be like "oh whaaat"

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Thanks to Lug
relic (18-06-2015)
Old 23-06-2015, 11:50 PM   #16
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Here is a new one...a bit of a dark dub techno joint...this one got away from me and clocks in just under twenty minutes lol...but I think I'm getting better at performing on my hardware live. It ends up being quite a journey and kind of has four parts.

More post processing on this one in the DAW, multiracked, EQ, compression, saturation, reverb.

This is my favorite one so far. Like...I finally made a legit techno track I really like. I can probably edit this down to a reasonable length since it turns out it has nice, distinct sections to it.

------------------
Thanks to relic
RFJ (02-07-2015)
Old 27-06-2015, 05:59 AM   #17
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 53360
Thanked 1,067 Times in 763 Posts

im still such a noob at live performing but....what are you doing and what aren't you doing, that make sense?

like, are you sequencing everything? or just already have teh drums set up then you're playing over it?

curious, hope i asked the right questions
SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to SKYCORE
relic (27-06-2015)
Old 27-06-2015, 02:35 PM   #18
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYCORE View Post
im still such a noob at live performing but....what are you doing and what aren't you doing, that make sense?

like, are you sequencing everything? or just already have teh drums set up then you're playing over it?

curious, hope i asked the right questions
The only wrong question is the one you don't ask!

I am sequencing everything, well, at least that has been posted in this thread anyway. Right now, for this project, everything that is sequenced is sequenced on the Electribe 2. Now, I have played in the parts, but the 'tribe 2 hard quantizes things to 16th note resolution.

Everything posted so far is just jamming -- knob twists and muting/unmuting parts on the 'tribe 2 -- no live playing as I'm not really a keyboardist. Though the newest thing I'm working on, which I'm not sure if it really fits the vibe of the project, I do play the Mopho Keys live a little (miles from anything spectacular, long sustained notes for a drone/pad/noise patch).

The 'tribe 2 will also let one record a sequence of pattern changes and mutes/unmutes, so I'm going to give that a try as well. If I'm not worried about creating a structure I can twist moar knobz.

------------------
Thanks to relic
SKYCORE (30-06-2015)
Old 02-07-2015, 08:22 PM   #19
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

Quote:

Here is a new one...a bit of a dark dub techno joint...this one got away from me and clocks in just under twenty minutes lol...but I think I'm getting better at performing on my hardware live. It ends up being quite a journey and kind of has four parts.

More post processing on this one in the DAW, multiracked, EQ, compression, saturation, reverb.

This is my favorite one so far. Like...I finally made a legit techno track I really like. I can probably edit this down to a reasonable length since it turns out it has nice, distinct sections to it.
Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiick!

Seriously, totally fucking sick delux. Reminds me of early AE actually, like this...

and this...

That's about the highest compliment i can give to this. I mean it's different than the two examples above but to me has a very similar feel and vibe. I really love the lo-fi distorted bass type thing that you have going on. Percussion is nice, evolves very well, the transitions work, and the whole thing sounds really tip top.

I think you've upped the ol' game with this one here.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:43 AM   #20
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 51810
Thanked 1,036 Times in 764 Posts

Yeah, I like the second one a bot more. Some nice elements in there and sounds really clean.

I was just thinking that when I think Dub, I have this Kruder & Dorfmeister sound in mind. I wasn't feeling that groove. I always thought Dub reminded me of Reggae, but I've only encountered it much in the Trip Hop/Lounge arena.

This has a nice chill feel to it, but to me it seems a bit undecided between styles. I guess that may really excite some listeners, but for me it didn't quite work. If you went for that tension between styles, you nailed it. If you wanted it to be really Dub oriented, I guess some more base and lo-fi syncopation might fit.

Just not really my thing, this sound, so I may not be all that helpful here.

Cheers,

Andy

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote