Serum - new synth from Xfer Records
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 24-09-2014, 04:28 AM   #1
KymaFreq
Sample Destroyer
KymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MC
The Pacific NW
MC Status: 644385
Serum - new synth from Xfer Records

Hey guys - I downloaded the demo of this and am really having a great time with it!! This synth is a real powerhouse!! The presets aren't too bad either, but the magic lies under the hood with this beast. It's got so many great features that allow you to create all kinds of sounds and textures. I've always had a soft spot for wavetable synthesis and this thing doesn't disappoint.

It's really good for punchy bass, metallic and shimmering sound effects, warm pulsing pads and noise sweeps. I'm really impressed with the layout of features and the quality of the sound. Lot's of modulation options on hand, as well as a suite of well-chosen effects. You can import, create, edit and morph your own wavetables. In fact, it has a wavetable editor built right in to the synth. This speeds up the workflow since you don't have to use some other 3rd party application or utility.

While I believe that they've optimized the plugin to run as CPU efficient as possible, there is a noticeable difference when running on a modern computer from the last year or two. But then I'm the type that likes to use a ton of effects and polyphony while running 4 to 5 instances at a time. Right now they are offering it at an introductory price of $129 until October 31st, at which time the price will go up to $189. I can honestly say that to me, the price is totally worth it.

I don't buy new synths very often. When I do, I dedicate myself to learning as much as I can about programming sounds and patches that genuinely move me. I can already tell that this is one of those synthesizers that will be a part of my arsenal for a long time to come. Unfortunately, I won't be able to afford it until Christmas time. But one nice thing about the demo is that you can use a fully fledged version without restricted features, except it will only run for 20 minutes in a session and you can't save your patches. But even then, you have a lot to play around with.

Check it out - [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

- KymaFreq

Advertisements

KymaFreq is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to KymaFreq
A.M (24-09-2014)
Old 24-09-2014, 04:36 AM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 163960
Thanked 3,279 Times in 2,447 Posts
Re: Serum - new synth from Xfer Records

Yeah..I have my eye on this one, too. Tbh, I thought the presets all sound a little bit like they're aimed at the trance/club music crowd..hardly surprising really. But..as you pointed out..the real draw of this one is under the hood.

Been playing with the demo now for the last day or two and I have to say I'm really liking it..it's so intuitive to use..and it sounds really good, too.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
SKYCORE (24-09-2014)
Old 24-09-2014, 05:16 AM   #3
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 52410
Thanked 1,048 Times in 752 Posts

decent replacement for massive + some cool stuff

who said that?! >_>

<_>
SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 01:05 PM   #4
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7236429

Can we get a demo of Serum doing something that is not wub wub basses. These seem to be the main focus of every video I've found, and it's awful. From what I can tell from these, Serum seems to have a good workflow, though it does not seem as feature-rich as Zebra.

Not sure how interested I am without it. And I'm still on honeymoon with Bazille.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYCORE View Post
decent replacement for massive + some cool stuff

who said that?! >_>

<_>
To be fair, z3ta+2 is basically a synth that does everything Massive is used to do, but better.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 01:15 PM   #5
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts

I would sell everything & buy the hardware version if only those renders were real...

Thanks for the heads-up tho. Gonna download and play around with it over the weekend.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to scyn
A.M (24-09-2014)
Old 24-09-2014, 06:09 PM   #6
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyn View Post
I would sell everything & buy the hardware version if only those renders were real...

Thanks for the heads-up tho. Gonna download and play around with it over the weekend.
Interested in hearing what you think after you do.

------------------
Old 24-09-2014, 06:37 PM   #7
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingley View Post
Can we get a demo of Serum doing something that is not wub wub basses. These seem to be the main focus of every video I've found, and it's awful. From what I can tell from these, Serum seems to have a good workflow, though it does not seem as feature-rich as Zebra.

Not sure how interested I am without it. And I'm still on honeymoon with Bazille.

To be fair, z3ta+2 is basically a synth that does everything Massive is used to do, but better.
I don't have Massive and have only demoed Zebra, so I can't really comment on either..but I get what you're saying. In fact, as I touched on in my original reply above..this does sound like it's made with a certain kind of music in mind..mainly club and trance stuff.

On another note, I just took a look at u-he's MFM2..and I think I'm in love! I don't understand why I haven't heard about this before..it pretty damn cool..a really good marriage of effects and synth rolled into one.

This, I think, is more my kind of thing..so thanks, Blingley, for sending off down the u-he path..probably would have missed this one if you hadn't.

------------------
Old 24-09-2014, 08:25 PM   #8
Evelon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214388898
Thanked 2,809 Times in 1,753 Posts

It's awesome! Love it!
Yeah, the presets are all EDM focused, since Steve Duda asked 7skies, Adam Szabo, CFA Sound, ASL Soundlab, etc (who all make EDM presets) to make the factory presets. And now Vandalism, etc are about to release presets, so yeah - it's alot of that sound popping up now.
It's capable of alot more than that tho.

edit: If you like Serum, also check out the free Audjoo Helix VSTi (vector synth by another, swedish, develeoper).

Last edited by Evelon; 25-09-2014 at 08:48 AM..

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
A.M (24-09-2014)
Old 25-09-2014, 06:27 AM   #9
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 52410
Thanked 1,048 Times in 752 Posts

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
never really explored that synth or knew that and since @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
talked about another in their fleet, imma check out that developer. im kinda closed minded to soft synths, i need to branch out anyway. that delay one though, shoot.
SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 03:54 PM   #10
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC

You know Bazille is good when it looks like this:

Also like, pretty easy to check out since it be in beta of the publics or whatevs.

------------------
Thanks to Blingley
A.M (25-09-2014)
Old 25-09-2014, 04:38 PM   #11
mholloway
Master of the LFO
mholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MC
Portland, Oregon, USA
MC Status: 1435809

Been demo'ing Serum -- awesome so far, except the preset banks which are really one-dimensional (genre wise) and not interesting at all.

The GUI is amazing -- maybe the best I've seen yet?! Modulation workflow is basically a rip of Massive, but it works great. The FX are actually good and not just stacked on top, everything can be modulated. I find the Osc's overwhelming simply because it's hard to get a "feel" for all the available wave-tables, but so far it sounds great, though definitely "clean" and "digital" but hey it's a wavetable synth, so no shock there.

-M

------------------

a modern twist on old-school electro-industrial music:
https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/deadwhenifoundher
mholloway is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mholloway
Blingley (26-09-2014)
Old 25-09-2014, 05:33 PM   #12
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153460
Thanked 3,069 Times in 2,152 Posts

The synth sounds really clean and the UI is super easy to grasp. I didn't touch the presets and I have no desire to, TBH.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 04:04 AM   #13
A.M

Apologies, [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, for the mild thread hijack..BUT..going back to that post I made here about MFM2 from u-he..been playing with the demo now for the last day or so and it's a really good plugin.

With that said..I don't think it's good enough for me to make the switch from my usual dedicated delay plugin, Reflex Pro ( [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
)
from STW Audio; not because it's €26 cheaper..but simply because it seems to do everything MFM2 does. The main thing though is I find the Reflex Pro interface a lot more intuitive to work with..and it also is one hell of a great delay program for doing Ambient music.

Reflex Pro

For those interested, STW Audio also offer a free cut-down version called "Refelx Free" ( [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
), which looks a lot less "busy" than the Pro version..but still packs a fair punch delay-wise.

Reflex FREE
Apologies to all concerned once again for the slight departure from topic..just hope anyone interested finds this useful.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
Kvlt O))) (26-09-2014)
Old 26-09-2014, 02:27 PM   #14
KymaFreq
Sample Destroyer
KymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MC
The Pacific NW
MC Status: 644385

. - You don't need to apologize for suggesting an alternative plugin… 'cause Urs' software really rocks! And don't forget, "I'm your biggest fan"!!
KymaFreq is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to KymaFreq
A.M (26-09-2014)
Old 26-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #15
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by KymaFreq View Post
. - You don't need to apologize for suggesting an alternative plugin… 'cause Urs' software really rocks! And don't forget, "I'm your biggest fan"!!
Cheers..it's just some folks get right touchy if you derail thread they started.

And yeah..I'm a BIG fan of their "Podolski" analogue synth..use it too much actually.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Thanks to A.M
KymaFreq (26-09-2014)
Old 26-09-2014, 04:18 PM   #16
Zoopy
Microknight
Zoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MC
Eugene, OR
MC Status: 102306

I'm hella into this synth... I might even... pay....money?

------------------
Zoopy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Zoopy
Kvlt O))) (30-09-2014)
Old 26-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #17
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent

I downloaded the demo, and this certainly feels biased towards EDM. If some people would be willing to post audio demos of stuff that's as far removed from EDM as possible with this thing, it'd be neat. I had trouble dialing organic tones in, but I'm sure they are possible. At least if you meddle directly with the waveforms.

That being said, as far as EDM sounds go, this is really straightforward and powerful. Good workflow, too. If I wanted to make EDM, I'd buy this right now.

------------------
Thanks to Blingley
A.M (26-09-2014)
Old 27-09-2014, 01:53 AM   #18
erstwhile
Learning The Ropes
erstwhile will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

extremely flexible, capable of importing information and wavetables from other VST/VSTi's as well
erstwhile is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 02:09 AM   #19
Zoopy
Microknight
Zoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MC
Eugene, OR
MC Status: 102306

here's me just fuckin around with serum
not edm.
just a pad and a plucky lead sound
and a dumb beat.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Zoopy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 08:30 AM   #20
Andantonius
Sample Destroyer
Andantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 7610

Picked up this synth over the weekend, I think I'm in love. The ability to make your own wavetables gives you a lot of versatility, and there's a ton of filter modes, the effects section is extensive and re-routable, and you can draw your own custom LFO shapes. It's definitely on Massive's level for versatility and flexibility, and quite possibly even better.

The only thing I dislike is it only has one main filter. There's a second filter in the FX section so you can still do almost everything you'd want to do, but it doesn't look like you can set up much in the way of parallel filter routings.

Plus the interface is pretty, and the animations give you a great visual representation of what your modulations are actually doing.

Advertisements

Andantonius is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote