EQ'ing the amen break for breakcore?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Breakcore / Breakbeat / Drum & Bass Discussion of music similar to Noisia, Amon Tobin, Venetian Snares, Prodigy.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:08 PM   #1
Skycstls
Regular Freak
Skycstls will become famous soon enoughSkycstls will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110
EQ'ing the amen break for breakcore?

Helloooo internet people!
I have made a few breakcore/chipbreak songs and im starting to get confident making breaks, rolls and pitch changes, but im still confusing about the EQ (first time using this things, im just a LSDJ/tracker user).
The thing is, im using FL to chop breaks and the famous amen, then i throw the loop in the mixer and i use the EQ, im doing it wrong? Its better to EQ the kicks and snare separately from all the other components of the break or its ok if i use the EQ in all the break?

Thanks in advance! I will post a few things here, i think that you will like it

Peace

Advertisements

Skycstls is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:13 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8529830
Thanked 6,778 Times in 4,830 Posts
Re: EQ'ing amens for breakcore

I am not sure what most Breakcore artists do. But in jungle and drum and bass I dont think people frequency split their chopped breakbeats. Who knows though, people do all kinds of things.

You would get more control EQing things serperately. So try it if you can make it work for you!

Unfortunately, without listening its hard to know if you are doing it wrong. It only matters what it sounds like. Not how you get there : )

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:50 AM   #3
Detrimental
Regular Freak
Detrimental will become famous soon enough
Melbourne
MC Status: 60

i find it's best to try to split your kicks, snares and hats into seperate channels before processing to give the sound more definition...depends what you're trying to acheive though.

i tend to process my drums, then load them into an electribe and play with different arrangements, then mulit-band compress the whole lot at the end to give it some punch
Detrimental is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: venetian snares
Old 03-02-2014, 02:54 AM   #4
Detrimental
Regular Freak
Detrimental will become famous soon enough
Melbourne

btw i use ableton for anything computer related, and mostly make jungle so the rules may be different for the heavier genres!

for the multi-band i use waves C4, 6 is better if you have it
Detrimental is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 11:20 AM   #5
Skycstls
Regular Freak

I forget to say thanks! Tips were really helpful
Old 31-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #6
Faktori
Radial Developer
Faktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2960

In breakcore I think it's better to separate each elements of you drum patterns to have more control on it. Well, it depends a lot on what you want. If you want a feel of unity and keep it simple, you can still chop your break and process it on the same track but if you want some more crazy stuff I think it's better to have control on each sample separately
Faktori is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 11:55 AM   #7
Skycstls
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faktori View Post
In breakcore I think it's better to separate each elements of you drum patterns to have more control on it. Well, it depends a lot on what you want. If you want a feel of unity and keep it simple, you can still chop your break and process it on the same track but if you want some more crazy stuff I think it's better to have control on each sample separately
Yeah, in this weeks i was experimenting with breaks and it just depends of the song that you want to do, i did a few with a more simple breaks and it was ok EQing all the loop, but in crazier songs with more complexity you need more control, so it just depends
Old 31-03-2014, 12:29 PM   #8
eery
Soundwave Mangler
eery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond repute
Gjøvik
MC Status: 3910

I usually just roll off the lowend on the break, increase the mids a bit, to get the sanre out, then add another kick to play over the chopped breaks, to make up for the lost lowend. Sometimes I add additional snares, hihats or rides and other perc too, to go with it, just to make it feel a bit fuller.

idk thou, depends on what works for you.

------------------

"Get yourself together, man. Move to Philly. Buy a loft. Start a noise band.
Get six or seven roommates… eat hummus with them.
Book some gigs. Paint. Smoke cloves.
Listen to Animal Collective. Start some type of salsa company."
eery is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:13 AM   #9
SonicSin
Learning The Ropes
SonicSin is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Icon14 Re: EQ'ing the amen break for breakcore?

I think it can be good to use both racks and the amen break loops.
I edit a lot of amen breaks, mix them with other drum or fx loops .
Then chop them and layer the resulting sounds with my drums (obtained during the years using the same trick).
This sounds go into my drum rack in ableton live and then I layer it on a sampled amen break on wich I put a lot of random fxs (trying to give 'em a sense).
Then export, chop, edit, make the one shots, repeat the process everyday.
Everytime I come up with a new interesting trick, fx or sound that I crafted, I try to layer it on some drums and if I like the result I export it.
I also think that using the random wisely can help a lot to achieve new interesting loops if you don't abuse of it. That means that your final track should always sound the same and not everytime different like for example if you're letting dblue glitch going wild creating a mess.
I hope what I wrote sounds clear 'cause my english isn't so good.
BYE!
SonicSin is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: PROPAGANDHI
Old 21-08-2014, 02:24 AM   #10
RUArtist
Learning The Ropes
RUArtist is currently spamming hard
My house
Re: EQ'ing the amen break for breakcore?

I pretty much do the same thing as you, I just EQ the entire break and then add whatever to make it sound kewl. It's probably a much better idea to split them to multiple mixer tracks or whatever, although personally that's too much effort for me over something I cant even really notice in the end. Or im just super lazy, who knows. Also I take huge amounts of low end out of my amens for the gabber kicks
RUArtist is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #11
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 18210

you dont need much at all hell you can do it wioth just 2 bands of an eq just cut with one band to around 80hz and kill off 20000 hz with the other then i like to add a dab of transient shaping aswell to tighten it up simple.
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 11:44 AM   #12
TamagoNoise7
Analog Lurker
TamagoNoise7 has much to be proud ofTamagoNoise7 has much to be proud ofTamagoNoise7 has much to be proud ofTamagoNoise7 has much to be proud ofTamagoNoise7 has much to be proud ofTamagoNoise7 has much to be proud ofTamagoNoise7 has much to be proud ofTamagoNoise7 has much to be proud of
Canton, OH
MC Status: 1060

i just EQ it as a whole. How much depends on the tune . mostly rolling off the low end. sometimes i'll cut a little off the high end. I used to try all kinds of shit to make amens sounds bigger,louder,better and what not. But i learned that just a little EQ'ing and compressing is all it really takes to get it where i want it. I guess it's a matter of preference and the best thing to do is just experiment until you get to where you want to be.
TamagoNoise7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:42 AM   #13
Hakuin
Microknight
Hakuin is a splendid one to beholdHakuin is a splendid one to beholdHakuin is a splendid one to beholdHakuin is a splendid one to beholdHakuin is a splendid one to beholdHakuin is a splendid one to beholdHakuin is a splendid one to beholdHakuin is a splendid one to behold
Oakland
MC Status: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by eery View Post
I usually just roll off the lowend on the break, increase the mids a bit, to get the sanre out, then add another kick to play over the chopped breaks, to make up for the lost lowend. Sometimes I add additional snares, hihats or rides and other perc too, to go with it, just to make it feel a bit fuller.
My technique is similar to Eery's about 40% of the time.
I generally filter out the kick with a 24db hp and boost mid if need (usually resonance makes up for it). Then I will add a separate kick.

The other 60% of the time, I use the whole break with very accurate slices and careful trigger planning for rhythm.
-or-
I actually remove elements from the break such as snares and hats and make more composite waves for space conservation and when utilizing random trigger techniques.

------------------
A sample of my live PA set. IDM/Breakcore
Hakuin is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Vorpal
Old 04-12-2014, 12:49 PM   #14
Optimal Prime
Ghostly
Optimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond repute
Greater Manchester
MC Status: 6710

Audio Animals recently gave out a free pack having remastered the Amen break. Just if you are interested.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Newest Track: Powercyan - Disciples of the Night (Optimal Prime 'Future DnB Remix')

Optimal Prime is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Optimal Prime
FunkMasterBrown (04-12-2014)
Old 20-03-2015, 11:26 AM   #15
AudioTactics
Granular Poster
AudioTactics will become famous soon enough

I have definitely fought battles with the Amen break… in general, it seems to lack the low end on the kick so rolling off the bottom end and replacing the kick is one way to go but the major issue with that is that then it no longer sounds like an Amen break. This means boosting the kick pretty significantly and for me it was around 120 Hz. The snare is also missing some of the high end crunch that you get from more current snares so some amount of boosting in the 3.4khz area can also be helpful. At some point I split the Amen break samples into a kick on one track and snare & hats on another but in the end I found I preferred a consistent EQ across both tracks so that turned out to be a waste of time.

Last edited by AudioTactics; 20-03-2015 at 11:32 AM..
AudioTactics is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 12:09 AM   #16
TamagoNoise7
Analog Lurker
TamagoNoise7 has much to be proud ofTamagoNoise7 has much to be proud ofTamagoNoise7 has much to be proud ofTamagoNoise7 has much to be proud ofTamagoNoise7 has much to be proud ofTamagoNoise7 has much to be proud ofTamagoNoise7 has much to be proud ofTamagoNoise7 has much to be proud of
Canton, OH
MC Status: 1060

Lately i've been splitting up frequencies and processing lo mid and high individually and then busing it all back together. For the low end i've been putting it in mono and making EQ cuts and just keeping it clean. With the mids and highs i've been trying different things with stereo processing and all kinds of stuff like busing the mids and hi's together to process more and using sends.. I really like processing it this way because i can get really precise with eq'ing each part and i feel way more in control. It sounds great and it's a lot of fun experimenting with processing and routing the different frequencies . Also a very effective way to clean it up and get everything sitting where you want it. Not too difficult either !

------------------
TamagoNoise7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:44 PM   #17
Morphine
Learning The Ropes
Morphine is currently spamming hard

Theres already a perfect EQ for Amen break made by weyheyhey !!
Morphine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:50 PM   #18
Suiyoubi
Savage Mad Cunt
Suiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MC
MC Status: 24584798
Thanked 1,560 Times in 950 Posts

Try to layer other drum samples with your break to make it pop more.
You could EQ your amen break-channel to make the hats cymbal and ride sound the way you like, then put a new channel with a different kick and/or snare to give it more punch or depth.

Last edited by Suiyoubi; 11-04-2015 at 12:02 AM..
Suiyoubi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 04:05 AM   #19
l3ug
Analog Lurker
l3ug is a glorious beacon of lightl3ug is a glorious beacon of lightl3ug is a glorious beacon of lightl3ug is a glorious beacon of lightl3ug is a glorious beacon of light
Livorno
MC Status: 460

maybe buy the original Lycollins vinyl for re-sample the perfect amen break ahah
i have find some good version of this song on yT and i have compared the new mp3 sample with my sample in the library and the second one was inaccurate and close, the new one was better and not so bad in the end ahah but still mp3

Advertisements

l3ug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote