Audio interface & Soundcard recommendations.
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 26-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
TigerMendoza
Knob Twiddler
TigerMendoza is a name known to allTigerMendoza is a name known to allTigerMendoza is a name known to allTigerMendoza is a name known to allTigerMendoza is a name known to allTigerMendoza is a name known to all
Oxford
MC Status: 610
Good USB 2/3 audio interface?

I've taken the plunge and picked up a new laptop in the sales. Unfortunately it doesn't have a FireWire socket or card slot so it's time to retire my FireWire interface. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for a good USB 2/3 interface with at least 2 stereo outputs?

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk

Advertisements

------------------
New album - The Shadow

Blog | Soundcloud | Facebook | Twitter | Bandcamp
TigerMendoza is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 24960
Re: Good USB 2/3 audio interface?

Budget? Needs?

Focusrite Scarlett 2i4.

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
TigerMendoza
Knob Twiddler
TigerMendoza is a name known to allTigerMendoza is a name known to allTigerMendoza is a name known to allTigerMendoza is a name known to allTigerMendoza is a name known to allTigerMendoza is a name known to all
Oxford

Budget: £200 tops
Needs: live gigging so transportability is essential.

Did have a look at the focusrite range. Looks like it might fit the bill.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk

------------------
New album - The Shadow

Old 26-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #4
Tofuporkchops
Regular Freak
Tofuporkchops will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Yea, I've got a 2i2 and it's pretty decent, but more I/O would be nice. Solid build quality. Go with the 2i4, yer. Would recommend.
Tofuporkchops is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Tofuporkchops
TigerMendoza (27-12-2013)
Old 27-12-2013, 02:15 AM   #5
TigerMendoza
Knob Twiddler
Oxford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofuporkchops View Post
Yea, I've got a 2i2 and it's pretty decent, but more I/O would be nice. Solid build quality. Go with the 2i4, yer. Would recommend.
Nice one, cheers man!

------------------
New album - The Shadow

Old 04-01-2014, 05:06 PM   #6
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 7460
Audio interface & Soundcard recommendations.

I'm looking to upgrade my interface (M-Audio fast track pro II) to something with at least four inputs. Looking at Thomann, there's two pages worth of gear. I'm currently looking at M-Track Quad, mostly because I have a good track record with M-Audio, but thought I'd get some of you dudes to weigh in. I know a fair few people have the Akai EIE, but from people who record bands a lot, I haven't heard the greatest things about it.

Anyone have any recommendations, and why? What does yours do better than the others, or was it just one you picked and stuck with? I should say, for the moment it'll have to be USB, as it'll be a long while until I get to build myself a new desktop to put in firewire.
Bipolar Joe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:10 PM   #7
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8519380
Thanked 6,569 Times in 4,688 Posts
Re: Four input audio interface recommendations.

Id recommend either a used MOTU 828 MKII USB or a MOTU Ultra Lite Hybrid MK3

With MOTU you are getting prestine sound, low noise inputs and outputs, very, very usable pre amps and solid MIDI. You didnt mention a budget, but as I upgraded my setup and needed more I/O I kept buying interfaces I couldnt grow into and was buying and selling them constantly.

Also, my MOTU 828 MKII pushes enough signal I dont have to crank the gain/volume anywhere in my signal chain risking unwanted distortion. Having owned several entry level interfaces I can say this was an issue I discovered after switching to the MOTU--I get a nice clear signal and at much lower levels.

The more I buy better gear and stray from entry level products the more my signal chain improves the more Im convinced spending the extra is usually worth it. And considering the number of products to choose from these days plus a healthy used market I wouldnt mess around with average gear.
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:38 PM   #8
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 7460

I guess for a budget, a maximum of €400, but that's really stretching my wallet.
Bipolar Joe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:51 PM   #9
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644068
Thanked 4,896 Times in 3,160 Posts

I agree with relic.

If you want easy in relation to your budget get a used MKII. If you want to stretch it and want USB get an MKIII.

For the home studio it's my opinion that, if you can afford it, Motu is the best option.

Edit: just reread relics post, didnt know the mk2 had a USB version. That's what it get if it were me.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:12 AM   #10
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33060

+1 for MOTU..or even Presonus and Focusrite..all depends on what preamp type you prefer.

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:39 AM   #11
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644068
Thanked 4,896 Times in 3,160 Posts

^Do you know, off the top of your head, the main differences in the preamps on these devices?

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:46 AM   #12
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33060

Motu use what they call 896 preamps..and the focusrite I was referring to has the dual Liquid channels( which emulates their preamps from the ISA's amust other brands) and Presonus uses the Xmax preamps..s step down from their Channel strip pre's....

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Str8Jaketed
RFJ (05-01-2014)
Old 12-01-2014, 11:25 AM   #13
nowaysj
Microknight
nowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MC
MC Status: 226958

What are the sonic charactersitics of those pres, though?

------------------
nowaysj is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to nowaysj
lolirl (03-02-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 09:57 AM   #14
liveact
Minor Glitch
liveact is just really niceliveact is just really niceliveact is just really niceliveact is just really niceliveact is just really nice
MC Status: 410

If enough two stereo outputs,no inputs, Native Instruments Traktor Audio 2 can be recommended.The first version is 96khz.
liveact is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:37 AM   #15
TigerMendoza
Knob Twiddler
Oxford
Re: Audio interface & Soundcard recommendations.

I ended up going for the Focusrite 8i6 in the end. Still getting used to it but great so far.

------------------
New album - The Shadow

Old 13-02-2014, 06:36 AM   #16
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
taylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MC
Denver
MC Status: 20112

For low end the NI stuff is nice, built like a tank and okay sound quality.
If you want to get serious get an RME
the Fireface UFX is brilliant, but not cheap, at $2500

------------------
taylorfrank is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 09:37 AM   #17
creart
Learning The Ropes
creart is currently spamming hard
Alkmaar
MC Status: 10

I went for the Focusrite SaffirePro 24 DSP... 2 advantages for me..

It has an ADAT interface and I also used an ADAT converter with 8 channels to add drums and guitar floorboards so I ended up with a lot more channels than just the 4 basic ones...

Further the DSP part in the interface allows me to listen to the mix as if it was played on other speakers in different rooms...
Is that a perfect simulation of the real thing? NO, but it does give you a broader listen to your mix so you can try to find out where weaker parts are, and it sort of 'clears your ears' by not just hearing the same sound all of the time

cheers
Hans
creart is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #18
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42368049
Thanked 4,681 Times in 3,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorfrank View Post
For low end the NI stuff is nice, built like a tank and okay sound quality.
If you want to get serious get an RME
the Fireface UFX is brilliant, but not cheap, at $2500
As far as I'm aware the only real difference between the UFX and UCX is the number of ports? A UCX would suit most people and is half that price. Not many people going to need the number of ports on a UFX unless you're running an entire band through it or a drummer who is *very* serious about getting mics on everything

I might be wrong on differences though as not looked it up.

I've got a UCX and love it to bits

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:01 PM   #19
Garf Richards
Regular Freak
Garf Richards is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Nobody has mentioned RME's Baby Face. That was on my list together with the Apollo.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
Garf Richards is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 08:21 PM   #20
DanAudioAnimals
Granular Poster
DanAudioAnimals is a glorious beacon of lightDanAudioAnimals is a glorious beacon of lightDanAudioAnimals is a glorious beacon of lightDanAudioAnimals is a glorious beacon of lightDanAudioAnimals is a glorious beacon of light
London
MC Status: 460

SSL Madi AX here, 24 channel SSL summing mixer, love it

Advertisements

DanAudioAnimals is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote