Drumfunk!?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Breakcore / Breakbeat / Drum & Bass Discussion of music similar to Noisia, Amon Tobin, Venetian Snares, Prodigy.

Old 20-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
Syncopate Life
Soundscaper
Syncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant future
Hawai'i
MC Status: 1960
Drumfunk!?

So I've discovered a new genre for myself that has made me willing to dive into the city of technical breakbeats that is drum n bass. This genre is drumfunk. Now I've heard some of it and the only thing I can find distinguishing it from other DnB is the emphasis on organic sounding drums. (also I hear it's supposed to incorporate Wonky into it?) Does anyone know what else sets drumfunk apart from other dnb genres? I'm kind of at a loss for differentiating it, but I'd really like to know it's boundaries so that I can start making amazing breaks like this.

related sidenote:
anyone know what time signature this song is in?

Advertisements

------------------
Syncopate Life is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts
Re: Drumfunk!?

You might have a lot of fun with a Tracker like ModPlug or Renoise if you enjoy this style of breakbeat. It really sounds to me like lots of fun offsetting/chopping on the tracker command line (with a lot of love and care respectively if that's the case with this track), retriggers and reverses and so forth.

(I can't pinpoint the time signature in this track I am thinking 7/4 or 15/8 or a shifting meter)
It might even be a good practice to set some kind of wild time signature and just go with it, like in Renoise a basic 4/4 signature can be represented with 64 columns downward, so setting that to a meter of like 97 colums, yields some funky beat patterns, and different ways of filling them in to fit the odd meter.

A lot of the synthesis was pretty typically ambient/soundscape, keys with lots of reverb, birdlike effects, some real sexy sub bass going on there.

I think the key here is LIVE drum samples.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80993380
Thanked 4,063 Times in 2,635 Posts

the difference to me, apart from the heavily chopped beats, is that the musical elements are way more minimal, most harmony comes from the sub-bass, the rest is usually soft sounding ambient elements.

Neuralpunk made a great list of artists and labels on this thread :
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538480
Thanked 6,951 Times in 4,945 Posts

I think you have a pretty good description here. There is also drumkfunk that uses synthesized drum hits and sounds a bit colder and darker kinda like tech step.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 106800
Thanked 2,110 Times in 1,376 Posts

I quite like the song you posted - full of style.

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 06:53 AM   #6
Syncopate Life
Soundscaper
Syncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant future
Hawai'i

What is a tracker broton? I googled both of those and they look like DAWs
Fuck I'm going to give this style a try. Never tried dnb, they key here is fast releases on a lot of things and a kick that doesn't interfere with the sub? I think I can incoporate my own styles of grooves into this but I need help more with fitting everything in frequency wise. What I've noticed is that the drums have minimal mid range content?

------------------
Old 21-04-2013, 07:00 AM   #7
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 106800
Thanked 2,110 Times in 1,376 Posts

I think you are overthinking it
Find a break that you like the sound of and go from there.

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #8
Syncopate Life
Soundscaper
Hawai'i

Fuckum just do it kk

------------------
Old 22-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts

Yeah a Tracker is a type of DAW, mainly it reads patterns as hex values in a table, top to bottom. The hex values tell the tracker which notes to play among other things, such as instrument/vol/pan/delay/macro depending on the tracker.

Modplug is a great free tool for learning trackers, and Renoise I would suggest is the next step up but not free. There are all kinds of trackers though, most commonly on the C64 and Amiga systems (I also assume the classic Fairlight is a type of 'tracker'), and is often the arrangement DAW of choice for early 8-bit video game systems.

Modern trackers are most commonly utilized for their abilities to chop and resample beats and tracks, and the simple plugin importing. They see a lot of use in Acid and Breakcore music, traditional Video Game composers still use them for their accessibility/familiarity, and tons of Chiptune artists use classic emulations (in fact I would go so far as to say that tracking is the chiptune standard - historically).

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to PROton42
Syncopate Life (24-04-2013)
Old 30-04-2013, 07:10 AM   #10
lysdexic
lysdexic is a savage MClysdexic is a savage MClysdexic is a savage MClysdexic is a savage MClysdexic is a savage MClysdexic is a savage MClysdexic is a savage MClysdexic is a savage MClysdexic is a savage MClysdexic is a savage MClysdexic is a savage MC
MC Status: 143350

nice tune, definitely overthinking it though..

gravitating towards drumcentric dnb myself now, but more on the hardstep tip.

------------------
lysdexic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #11
h3xal1te
h3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant future
Glasgow
MC Status: 1560

I absolutely adore drumfunk, but sadly hardly anyone really makes it anymore. Paradox is still flying the flag with his productions for his own Paradox Music imprint and his stuff for other labels (his recent stuff for Samurai is excellent, Crate Logic is an amazing tune).

If you wanna explore the genre I'd thoroughly recommend checking out DJ Trax, ASC, Paradox, Seba and Alaska's contributions. Paradox presents The Age of Outsides is probably my favourite drumfunk record, 2CD mixed album.

I think the reason I love it so much is because it's the closest thing there is to Ambient D&B - it's got high tempo syncopated drums but because natural drum samples are used alongside ambient/floaty sounding pads and the bass isn't too prominent it has a really chilled out quality to it. I'm working on a bunch of productions just now employing natural drum breaks from a recording session a while back which have a drumfunk-y vibe to them. More on that when I get them finished
h3xal1te is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #12
Hippot
Soundwave Mangler
Hippot has much to be proud ofHippot has much to be proud ofHippot has much to be proud ofHippot has much to be proud ofHippot has much to be proud ofHippot has much to be proud ofHippot has much to be proud ofHippot has much to be proud ofHippot has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1210

Fanu
Hippot is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Hippot
rinseit (22-01-2017)
Old 17-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #13
h3xal1te
h3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant future
Glasgow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippot View Post
Fanu
Good call, though I don't rate his stuff quite as highly as the stuff from Paradox etc.
Old 21-08-2013, 11:54 PM   #14
Sundans
Knob Twiddler
Sundans has a brilliant futureSundans has a brilliant futureSundans has a brilliant futureSundans has a brilliant futureSundans has a brilliant futureSundans has a brilliant futureSundans has a brilliant futureSundans has a brilliant futureSundans has a brilliant futureSundans has a brilliant futureSundans has a brilliant future
People's Republic of North Korea
MC Status: 1610

Holy tits, when that sub dropped I fell in love. I am downloading this now.

------------------
Sundans is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Sundans
rinseit (22-01-2017)
Old 27-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #15
Leotrix
Granular Poster
Leotrix has a spectacular aura aboutLeotrix has a spectacular aura aboutLeotrix has a spectacular aura about
Sydney
MC Status: 210

THOSE DRUMS HOLY GOD :O they are god like
Leotrix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Leotrix
rinseit (22-01-2017)
Old 03-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #16
Mommh
Learning The Ropes
Mommh will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncopate Life View Post

related sidenote:
anyone know what time signature this song is in?
Song is in 4/4. The basic Pattern at the beginning is 8 Beats long.
Mommh is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Mommh
rinseit (22-01-2017)
Old 03-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #17
h3xal1te
Glasgow

Yeah most drumfunk tunes are actually in 4/4, they just use complicated drum patterns that don't necessarily repeat obviously. It's a bit of a nightmare to mix!

------------------
Find me on Soundcloud | Bandcamp | Facebook for D&B and other Electronica

Check out my blog for D&B News and Reviews.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #18
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38897

I always tho these were just DNB, there's really nothing different.
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #19
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris
MC Status: 14960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mctoast View Post
I don't know the genre but OP's track and the first result I got for 0=0 are much more exciting to me than dnb ...

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I will now only post pictures of my boner if I make it to 10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If you drop the beat it's just called noise, you trendy fuck.

Chozo Tull is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #20
h3xal1te
Glasgow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mctoast View Post
Drumfunk is a sub-style of D&B but it has a different feel to most classic jungle or modern D&B. There's a good (if brief) discussion of D&B substyles on [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
for anyone who wants an intro to the subtleties of such things...

Advertisements

------------------
Find me on Soundcloud | Bandcamp | Facebook for D&B and other Electronica

Check out my blog for D&B News and Reviews.