Tabletop and traditional games - What are you playing?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 28-12-2012, 02:12 AM   #1
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39280449
Thanked 1,158 Times in 745 Posts
Tabletop and traditional games - What are you playing?

I could have sworn there was a thread on this somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

Mostly starting this thread because I'm looking for a cool board game to play with my girlfriend and friends.

We've played this a couple times:
Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
It's pretty fun, but after the first hour everything just drags the fuck on and is just tiring.

But this one.... This one is just fucking gold.
Code:
If you're not into fantasy, don't let that stop you, because this game could be in any theme (like crew members on a starship trying to collect data before being caught by some unknown alien threat, it doesn't matter) and still be just as much of a blast. It's pretty much "Oh, that was a dick move.": The Game. You have to lay tiles to build a dungeon, all the while trying to collect enough gold to win the game. Seems pretty simple, but the tiles you lay all have specific things they can do, and you will often hear groans as people manage to play just the right tile to force a player to move far off the path he needed to win the game.

Loads of fun, and I always recommend it to people.

So, now that that's out of the way. I was looking at this, because Dick Move: The Game always goes over so well:

Code:
Paranoia-driven co-operative game where you don't know who's against you and inspired by the Thing? Yes, please. It sounds fucking awesome. I hope it is though. Anyone play it?

Advertisements

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to candlesayshi
oly (28-12-2012)
Old 28-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts
Re: Tabletop and traditional games - What are you playing?

Gonna be checking those out, thanks. Just started playing a few games of Dominion recently and I've quite enjoyed it. Easy game to learn and there's room for basic strategies which are easy enough to figure out after just a few plays. And there's plenty expansion packs to keep it going for some time, oh and each game (box) has multiple rules / game styles to choose from...so you only use certain cards & items for certain games which adds a fair amount of variety to the game.

Code:

Last edited by scyn; 28-12-2012 at 10:57 AM..
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
Focalized
Man in the box
Focalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MC
Space Base
MC Status: 10377017

Code:

------------------
Focalized is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Focalized
Oatbag (08-01-2014)
Old 28-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
Focalized
Man in the box
Focalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MC
Space Base
MC Status: 10377017

Had a good time with this one.

------------------
Focalized is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42367599
Thanked 4,672 Times in 3,053 Posts

Code:
Space Hulk scheduled for late January, a semi-regular session with friends. Classic Games Workshop goodness.

Also got Munchkin, its pretty demented:

Code:

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
aeoR
Savage Mad Cunt
aeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MC
MC Status: 13019776

The best boardgames I played IMO

Settlers of Catan
7 Wonders
Eminent domain
Puerto Rico
Caylus
Race for the Galaxy
Genoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyn View Post
Code:
Seriously this game is really good, but JESUS my bro got all the expansions and now it's like 8 boxes to get to set-up the game it's a pain in the ass haha !
aeoR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
unknown__artist
unknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MC
Hamburg
MC Status: 22144205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focalized View Post
1992 Fireball Island Commercial - YouTube

Had a good time with this one.
Damn, dat commercial! The '90s...

------------------
My Ep "I Am A Dead Man" is out on Xylem Records

Departure (Bonus Track) Video
Soundcloud: μ-metik
Facebook: μ-metik
Twitter:μ-metik
unknown__artist is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #8
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269447808
Thanked 2,484 Times in 1,689 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by candlesayshi View Post
I could have sworn there was a thread on this somewhere, but I couldn't find it.
No wonders you couldn't find it, it was called Luddite gaming...
http://www.idmforums.com/showthread....hlight=luddite

It dawned on me all of a sudden

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Automageddon
candlesayshi (30-12-2012)
Old 30-12-2012, 02:00 AM   #9
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
No wonders you couldn't find it, it was called Luddite gaming...
http://www.idmforums.com/showthread....hlight=luddite

It dawned on me all of a sudden
Ah ha!

I've been looking at this, too, because it seems almost like a board game adaptation of Dungeon Keeper, and I heart Dungeon Keeper:

Code:
Varied reviews, though... we'll see.

Last edited by candlesayshi; 30-12-2012 at 02:04 AM..

------------------
Old 30-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744015591
Thanked 6,963 Times in 4,342 Posts

I really fancy this, only heard about it a couple of days ago.

Code:
Quote:
This description is spoiler free, containing nothing outside the initial rulebook for the game. Details on why this is important in the description.

Risk Legacy represents what is if not a new, at least a rare concept to boardgaming: campaigning. At its core, the game, particularly at first, plays much like regular Risk with a few changes. Players control countries or regions on a map of the world, and through simple combat (with players rolling dice to determine who loses units in each battle) they try to eliminate all opponents from the game board or control a certain number of "red stars", otherwise known as victory points (VPs).

What's different is that Risk Legacy' changes over time based on the outcome of each game and the various choices made by players. In each game, players choose one of five factions; each faction has uniquely shaped pieces, and more importantly, different rules. At the start of the first game, each of these factions gains the ability to break one minor rule, such as the ability to move troops at any time during your turn, as opposed to only at the end.

What makes this game unique is that when powers are chosen, players must choose one of their faction's two powers, affix that power's sticker to their faction card, then destroy the card that has the other rule on it – and by destroy, the rules mean what they say: "If a card is DESTROYED, it is removed from the game permanently. Rip it up. Throw it in the trash." This key concept permeates through the game. Some things you do in a game will affect it temporarily, while others will affect it permanently. These changes may include boosting the resources of a country (for recruiting troops in lieu of the older "match three symbols" style of recruiting), adding bonuses or penalties to defending die rolls to countries, or adding permanent continent troop bonuses that may affect all players.

The rule book itself is also designed to change as the game continues, with blocks of blank space on the pages to allow for rules additions or changes. Entire sections of rules will not take effect until later in the game. The game box contains different sealed packages and compartments, each with a written condition for opening. The rule book indicates that these contain the rule additions, additional faction powers, and other things that should not be discussed here for spoiler protection.

The winner of each of the first 15 games receives a "major bonus," such as founding a major city (which only he will be allowed to start on in future games), deleting a permanent modifier from the board, destroying a country card (preventing it from providing any resources towards purchasing troops in future games), changing a continent troop bonus, or naming a continent, which gives that player a troop bonus in future games. Players who did not win but were not eliminated are allowed to make minor changes to the world, such as founding a minor city or adding resources to a country.

Initial games take approximately 30-90 minutes to play, which includes a brief rules explanation and setup.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/105134/risk-legacy
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #11
candlesayshi
Imperfect
Chicago

I've only heard about that, but it sounds absolutely maddening!

------------------
Old 02-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #12
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by candlesayshi View Post
But this one.... This one is just fucking gold.
Code:
Having a hard time finding someone that has stock of this around here. And what's with it costing $150+ on
Amazon Amazon
?
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:28 AM   #13
sup909
Minor Glitch
sup909 is a savage MCsup909 is a savage MCsup909 is a savage MCsup909 is a savage MCsup909 is a savage MCsup909 is a savage MCsup909 is a savage MCsup909 is a savage MCsup909 is a savage MCsup909 is a savage MCsup909 is a savage MC
Bolingbrook, IL
MC Status: 149445

I recently hooked up playing some games at a new local game shop by me called the Wandering Dragon.

The most recent games I have played were the Red Dragon Inn, which was a blast and Munchkin Quest.

We also a few weeks ago played Betrayal at House on Haunted Hill as well as a superhero game called Sentinels of the Multiverse.
sup909 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:25 AM   #14
candlesayshi
Imperfect
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyn View Post
Having a hard time finding someone that has stock of this around here.
I got it as a gift for a roommate a long while back, and it was hard to find then, too.... I think it's out of print?

I think I ended up getting mine direct from the designer's website, but that appears sold out, too.

Might not hurt to ask him where you might be able to find it though: http://www.silcom.com/~tomjolly/

------------------
Old 03-01-2013, 02:21 AM   #15
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45940231
Thanked 5,641 Times in 3,558 Posts

I have these, but havent played them in years:
Code:
The super dummy version ha:
Code:
And I have this oldie sci fi one that is really cool:

Code:
I prefer the sci fi ones, I've been meaning to try this one out:
Code:

------------------
Numerical is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
relic (27-03-2014)
Old 06-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #16
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45940231
Thanked 5,641 Times in 3,558 Posts

So a friend picked up this game recently

Code:
It's a fun, simple game, quite enjoyed it.

I also saw one recently that i want pretty bad called Star Trek Fleet Captians

Code:
Looks like a good time.
Numerical is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:21 AM   #17
aeoR
Savage Mad Cunt
aeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MC
MC Status: 13019776

Eminent domain is pretty good, been playing it lately.
Somewhat a good mix between Dominion and Race for a Galaxy
Code:
aeoR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:59 AM   #18
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC

I've been playing a lot of the Nepalese board game Bagh-Chal (or Tigers & Goats) recently.
It's an easy little game to pick up but there's a decent bit of strategy to it too.
The good thing is you can easily draw the board on a piece of paper and use improvised pieces if you need to.

Code:
Code:
Thanks to lolirl
Son of Akira (26-12-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #19
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42367599
Thanked 4,672 Times in 3,053 Posts

Never heard of Bhag-Chal, I quite fancy a go at that some time.

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Roo Stercogburn
lolirl (07-06-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #20
lolirl
Administrator

Yeah, it's pretty good but strangely unknown. You can also play Main Tapal Empat and Alquerque using the same board.

Here's a pic of my mate mourning the loss of his goats.

Code:

Last edited by lolirl; 07-06-2013 at 02:04 PM..

Advertisements