My room...how should i arrange it?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 24-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
Paggos
Savage Mad Cunt
Paggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MC
Zhengzhou, China
MC Status: 3541243
My room...how should i arrange it?

http://oi47.tinypic.com/2vlqphf.jpg So you walk in, you see my room and go around my dresser, and see my bed with a window and curtain, then you can see a beam with a window behind my bed (dresser is like a foot away) then you move and you see this.

my door, my one monitor there *which gets hit by one of my family members that 'forgets' it's there.

and heres my set up, with my painting, and the wood floors, bouncing everywhere i almost always have to put my headphones on, and i cannot afford to acousticly treat my room, but you go over a foot and my closet is right there then a wall, then you move over and you see the window with the air conditioning....

What should i do to make my room acousticly 'better' besides buying foam or building something that causes me to go to home dept....will i HAVE to? I'm going to be 18 in a month or so and i want to buy a new PC....but i am also moving and going to graduate by the end of this year and hopefully move to my grandmas carpeted house.

Suggestions are welcomed, i really don't know the dimensions of my room because there are so many corners and the ceiling is about 12-14 feet high...

Thanks guys, im pretty confused... lol. I'm an 18 year old on a really tight budget...these monitors and isolation pads were a gift...sorry if i sound so misinformed

Last edited by Paggos; 24-08-2012 at 10:33 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
www.fb.com/page.paggos
:mayonesa::mayonesa:
Paggos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
Paggos
Savage Mad Cunt
Paggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MC
Zhengzhou, China
Re: My room...how should i arrange it?

Whoops double posted the thread..

Last edited by Paggos; 24-08-2012 at 10:34 PM..

------------------
www.fb.com/page.paggos
Old 24-08-2012, 11:47 PM   #3
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
taylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MC
Denver
MC Status: 20112

can you post a birds eye layout of the room. something as simple as a MS pain or google sketchup. that would help a ton

------------------
taylorfrank is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 12:24 AM   #4
Paggos
Savage Mad Cunt
Zhengzhou, China

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorfrank View Post
can you post a birds eye layout of the room. something as simple as a MS pain or google sketchup. that would help a ton
pretty much like this, sorry, i tried!

------------------
www.fb.com/page.paggos
Old 25-08-2012, 01:03 AM   #5
Middie
Ghostly
Middie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 7202625

Your Table's facing the wrong way. You should point your monitors in the direction of the longer part of the room (ie. 90 degrees to how they are now. This may be an issue for you because of your bed, but I can't be positive because your drawing sucks.

Throw in some furniture if you can afford it, make some treatment (its cheap to make), bookshelves are good, anything that breaks up the flat edges. This has all been covered before.

------------------
USE THE FUCKING SEARCH FUNCTION!!!!!!!
Middie is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 01:06 AM   #6
Middie
Ghostly
Middie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 7202625

And by turn your monitors 90 degrees, I obviously mean the whole table and setup, and push it up to where your bed appears to be, if you can shift stuff around enough.

------------------
USE THE FUCKING SEARCH FUNCTION!!!!!!!
Middie is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Middie
Paggos (25-08-2012)
Old 25-08-2012, 01:12 AM   #7
Paggos
Savage Mad Cunt
Zhengzhou, China

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middie View Post
And by turn your monitors 90 degrees, I obviously mean the whole table and setup, and push it up to where your bed appears to be, if you can shift stuff around enough.
As you can see by the other pictures, my monitors are shifted 90 degrees and my desk is right beside my door, not really in front of it...it's on the wall and directly behind is my bed, like 3 feet away then literally a foot away is my dresser, then you go down and it corners and you see the window..my bed is pushed up against it...then a corner, then about 6 feet or so away is the other window with the AC, then a foot or 2 by that is my closet, then again my DAW, door.

Oh, my drawing sucks? YA DON'T SAY?! lol

------------------
www.fb.com/page.paggos
Old 25-08-2012, 01:17 AM   #8
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 110500
Thanked 2,184 Times in 1,417 Posts

Can bed fit by window and closet? Then put DAW where bed was (away from wall/window a bit) and point monitors lengthwise in the room at your new bed spot? Block your closet if you need to
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Oatbag
Paggos (25-08-2012)
Old 25-08-2012, 01:18 AM   #9
Paggos
Savage Mad Cunt
Zhengzhou, China

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatbag View Post
Can bed fit by window and closet? Then put DAW where bed was (away from wall/window a bit) and point monitors lengthwise in the room at your new bed spot? Block your closet if you need to
Thought that, might just do it tonight! Considering it gets pretty loud haha.

------------------
www.fb.com/page.paggos
Old 25-08-2012, 01:27 AM   #10
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18030069

its really hard to help from the information youve given. i know youve tried, but the birdseye doesnt seem to match up with the pictures.

the first and most important thing i would suggest though is to put a sign on your door saying in big bold letters, "mind the fuckin monitors!", or something along those lines.

if you can borrow a tape measure and measure the walls and tell us when theres an angle and which way that would help one of us build a replica for you. and measure the hight too.

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 01:34 AM   #11
Paggos
Savage Mad Cunt
Zhengzhou, China

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
its really hard to help from the information youve given. i know youve tried, but the birdseye doesnt seem to match up with the pictures.

the first and most important thing i would suggest though is to put a sign on your door saying in big bold letters, "mind the fuckin monitors!", or something along those lines.

if you can borrow a tape measure and measure the walls and tell us when theres an angle and which way that would help one of us build a replica for you. and measure the hight too.
I shall get one, but it's like theres my door, and theres a chunk of the wall missing around there, then theres a water connection that can go to a hose and my light switch *because i guess this was an old apartment* then the bigger section of the wall goes for around 6 feet or so, then it corners off again and then theres a gap there then you see the chinese picture i have on the floor *the picture thats turned sideways* and thats where the beam, or where a corner is, then theres another one directly behind that, then the window, then about 3 feet from my window theres about 6 feet of wall then my other window, then 4 feet from that the closet, then the wall where my computer and such is..

When i mention cornering off, i mean like this see the corners? Sections are like 9 inches, then corners for about 6 inches...

------------------
www.fb.com/page.paggos
Old 25-08-2012, 01:35 AM   #12
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC

this is more how i am seeing it. the zig zag at the bottom is because i cant see that part. am i close? some dimensions would still be nice even if i am.

------------------
signature loading...
Old 25-08-2012, 01:40 AM   #13
Paggos
Savage Mad Cunt
Zhengzhou, China

Quote:
this is more how i am seeing it. the zig zag at the bottom is because i cant see that part. am i close? some dimensions would still be nice even if i am.

You're spot on, though it's smaller and my monitors are equal length apart and the left monitor is about a foot away then theres my closet, then a wall for a few feet, then a window, then more wall and then about a foot of wall in between with a window there in the middle, then sections off for the same length, then that corner i mentioned....then 5 or 6 feet of wall where my dresser, that picture is, then a corner again where the door is, the door, then the wall with my DAW which is about 5 feet i'd say

So my everything is against something, the bed, a window..

------------------
www.fb.com/page.paggos
Old 25-08-2012, 01:49 AM   #14
Parricide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paggos View Post
You're spot on, though it's smaller and my monitors are equal length apart and the left monitor is about a foot away then theres my closet, then a wall for a few feet, then a window, then more wall and then about a foot of wall in between with a window there in the middle, then sections off for the same length, then that corner i mentioned....then 5 or 6 feet of wall where my dresser, that picture is, then a corner again where the door is, the door, then the wall with my DAW which is about 5 feet i'd say

So my everything is against something, the bed, a window..
i assumed the monitors were equally spaced so didnt bother with making them look even
your description after that blows my mind. maybe you could adjust that pic to work properly? or better still, give us dimensions and angles?

------------------
signature loading...
Old 25-08-2012, 01:56 AM   #15
Paggos
Savage Mad Cunt
Zhengzhou, China

Quote:
i assumed the monitors were equally spaced so didnt bother with making them look even
your description after that blows my mind. maybe you could adjust that pic to work properly? or better still, give us dimensions and angles?
Haha, i think the most i can do is move my DAW where my bed is....though it'll be right by the window, not reflecting off of it along with the many gaps AND wood floors in my room....oh, my desk is wood too....isolation pads and monitors with stands...maybe pushing my matress against my window during the day would do xD but still, the monitors are right by the door, which is right by the bathroom, then my brothers room whos normal...and my sisters, then across my parents....

it's so much hassle...i want to move up to the attic xD

------------------
www.fb.com/page.paggos
Old 25-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #16
Parricide

pushing your mattress against the window would probably help a fair amount. cant hurt anyway. i think the most important thing at this point is to stop your monitor from being smashed about.

be patient, you will soon have your own place and will have more room to play with. when i was 18 i was using shitty separates with budget speakers and windows sound drivers, in a tiny little pretty much cube shaped box room. before that i was doing the same in my parents living room.
at this point do what you can (as you are) and hold your breath for the space.

just remember to have fun. even if the setup sounds shit it does not stop you from having fun. try to make it sound good in your room and forget about other rooms until youve got a better space.
for a while i was paying to have my music mixed by other people because of my setup. maybe consider that?

------------------
signature loading...
Old 25-08-2012, 11:48 PM   #17
Paggos
Savage Mad Cunt
Zhengzhou, China

Quote:
pushing your mattress against the window would probably help a fair amount. cant hurt anyway. i think the most important thing at this point is to stop your monitor from being smashed about.

be patient, you will soon have your own place and will have more room to play with. when i was 18 i was using shitty separates with budget speakers and windows sound drivers, in a tiny little pretty much cube shaped box room. before that i was doing the same in my parents living room.
at this point do what you can (as you are) and hold your breath for the space.

just remember to have fun. even if the setup sounds shit it does not stop you from having fun. try to make it sound good in your room and forget about other rooms until youve got a better space.
for a while i was paying to have my music mixed by other people because of my setup. maybe consider that?
My matress is right behind me, moved it against the window...the bass before felt 'over my head' and now it's in the middle and it feels tons more balanced, also closed the blinds on my other window....put a blanket over my closet helped too, maybe putting something over my wooden dresser will help too

------------------
www.fb.com/page.paggos
Old 26-08-2012, 01:39 AM   #18
Paggos
Savage Mad Cunt
Zhengzhou, China

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paggos View Post
My matress is right behind me, moved it against the window...the bass before felt 'over my head' and now it's in the middle and it feels tons more balanced, also closed the blinds on my other window....put a blanket over my closet helped too, maybe putting something over my wooden dresser will help too
Wow, nevermind, i move two feet from my workstation, theres a closet, move again....another window, move few more feet, another window, move again, theres my dresser with a vent so if i move my monitors there, it'll be even louder and it'll be right by the little hot and cold water pipes i have right here, so either way im fucked.

Last edited by Paggos; 26-08-2012 at 02:02 AM..

------------------
www.fb.com/page.paggos
Old 26-08-2012, 02:06 AM   #19
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
fuck you!
MC Status: 329126900
Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,193 Posts

I had to get rid of my bed and get a futon to clear some room.
But,i still dont have enough room,i want my workstation further from the wall.
I forget i have a living room....duh...my dad is not here anymore,so ....
but in your case do what you can to both increase space and still be comfortable,and get good acoustics.
Rixtr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 02:48 AM   #20
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45947981
Thanked 5,796 Times in 3,640 Posts

All I know is Paggos, you have a weird fucking room.

Advertisements

Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote