What Was Your First Hardware Synth? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:49 AM   #21
Focalized
Man in the box
Focalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MC
Space Base
MC Status: 10377967
Re: What Was Your First Hardware Synth?

Advertisements

------------------
Focalized is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:16 PM   #22
aikighost
Lemon Eater
aikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MC
Reading
MC Status: 12852160

Roland d10 back in the day. We got so much out tof that thing lots of work to get it but we DID get it.

------------------
The ultimate Law: All general statements are false

My Techno Music News & Techno Mixes Blog

Submit mixes to TechnoMusicNews.com
aikighost is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to aikighost
relic (12-04-2017)
Old 30-04-2017, 05:03 PM   #23
prophonic
Minor Glitch
prophonic is a jewel in the roughprophonic is a jewel in the roughprophonic is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

Korg Delta, which was great. Then i realized how corny it was. Then it became cool again...
prophonic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 11:02 PM   #24
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105317739

The Yamaha DX27 or as I like to refer to it as the Yamaha Front242 because of those sharp metallic stabs that make FM synthesis well worth the time invested to learn it. I also believe that when you grasp the knowledge of FM synth design you can pretty much handle any synth.

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jVs
chasedobson (25-05-2017)
Old 25-05-2017, 02:14 AM   #25
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1540077
Thanked 2,037 Times in 1,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jVs View Post
The Yamaha DX27 or as I like to refer to it as the Yamaha Front242 because of those sharp metallic stabs that make FM synthesis well worth the time invested to learn it. I also believe that when you grasp the knowledge of FM synth design you can pretty much handle any synth.
i had that synth!

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
jVs (26-05-2017)
Old 25-05-2017, 02:24 AM   #26
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MC
ottawa
MC Status: 10310

first I guess was my dad's M1. But of my own. Poly 800. Still have it... with the original cassette of presets!
envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to envelope3
chasedobson (25-05-2017)
Old 25-05-2017, 02:23 PM   #27
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1540077
Thanked 2,037 Times in 1,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by envelope3 View Post
first I guess was my dad's M1. But of my own. Poly 800. Still have it... with the original cassette of presets!
Both solid!

At this point i use the M1 as a plugin, instant 90's nostalgia in those patches. Poly800 is one of those i see come up on Craigslist around 300USD and nearly pull the trigger on and then re-consider, ha, I tend to be a cheap bastard.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
envelope3 (28-05-2017)
Old 25-05-2017, 03:30 PM   #28
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17760

if i don't count some shitty casio (which really shouldn't be counted), it was Korg N5 rompler. random internet picture:

iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 06:49 AM   #29
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105317739

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
i had that synth!
I don't see myself parting ways with it other than it just takes a huge shit and makes the trip to the breadboard in the sky, I've got to say that I have really enjoyed the challenge that its created in terms of re-designing the FX bank into pieces of screaming belligerence and modest aluminum beeps.

It seems that everyone with a DX story share the same thing in common, It was either purchased at an insanely cheap price at a pawnshop/thrift store or they were rescued from a dumpster fate by someone previously (Very much my case for both scenarios) It was a dumpster rescue that I gladly forked over $20 to obtain. I'm assuming that this is a result of people all to often lacking an understanding of it doesn't have knobs, It don't even synth. Also, DX27 is probably the most basic and easiest to wrap mind around of the DX series. Thoughts? Reiteration? Fuss, discuss the hate to appreciate that futuristic 80s sound from a unit sent back in time to both save and terminate Sarah and John Connor.

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jVs
chasedobson (26-05-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 05:24 PM   #30
maxadax
Regular Freak
maxadax will become famous soon enough
Buckingham Palace
MC Status: 60

Korg EMX-1. It's been great.

It's not quite a synthesizer but at the time I felt it was close enough. For me it was better though because when I used it with a DAW I could use it for anything.
maxadax is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:47 PM   #31
metalzone2000
IDMf Artist
metalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MC
Houston, Texas
MC Status: 57924

Korg DW6000. It was my moms when she used to play gigs back in the 80's. I always messed around with it but never edited patches cus I didnt want to erase her presets until she quit playing music.

------------------

A random patch I did with Bazille, Gverb, AM Pitchshifter, Autotalent, and 24 random LFO's in Renoise.
metalzone2000 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:45 AM   #32
Dr. Sleaze
IDMf Artist
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not who or where you think I am.
MC Status: 7510

Jen SX 1000, when I was about 14. Had know idea what I was doing with it though. Wish I still had it really. Strange little thing, but I think it would be pretty cool through some of the modern FX pedals we have now.

Last edited by Dr. Sleaze; 24-06-2017 at 03:54 PM..
Dr. Sleaze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:08 AM   #33
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20360

korg m1 got given it to me from my grandpa god rest his soul
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:51 AM   #34
Failsafe
Granular Poster
Failsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860

I got a novation bass station rack (original) but I never got on with it too well. I tried making lead sounds and stretching it's abilities but all it seems to do well is mimic the 303. I do need to get some more MIDI cables so I can jam with that, my minilogue and push though. I think that would be pretty fun
Failsafe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:17 PM   #35
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 22160

sub 37 that was my soul

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:35 AM   #36
Vault O)))
Dumb jerk
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Florida
MC Status: 47860

I accidentally lied in my other post, it was this little bastard

------------------
Vault O))) is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 09:42 AM   #37
Ruuksine
Regular Freak
Ruuksine has a spectacular aura aboutRuuksine has a spectacular aura aboutRuuksine has a spectacular aura about
Melbourne
MC Status: 210

The first hardware synth I ever owned was a Moog Minitaur.
It was a great synth for smooth, thick bass, but once I got my next synth, a Sequential Circuits Pro-One, the Minitaur paled in comparison.
Especially seeing as it lacked a noise source, one of the things that I'll attribute to what makes the Pro-One sounds so powerful and grrr... Snappy filters too.
I eventually sold the Minitaur, though sometimes I think I regret that decision, as it still had a certain smooth something I liked about it.
Ruuksine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 09:38 PM   #38
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
fuck you!
MC Status: 329126700
Thanked 1,724 Times in 1,190 Posts

Roland D-5,pretty underrated for the time,but w/the programmer,awesome sounds!

i bought it new in 1990.go figure.
Rixtr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 05:31 AM   #39
speigel
IDMf's latest spammer
speigel is currently spamming hard
Somerset
MC Status: 10

Mine was a korg poly 800. Had a good organ sound. Sadly now sold, along with the dx7,minister moog, prophet one and moog satellite. Damn why did I do that
speigel is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:38 AM   #40
Bluesh1ft
Sample Destroyer
Bluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond repute
In another world, usually
MC Status: 2660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
I had to laugh and cry (not really) at the same time to see this:

That's a Yamaha PSR-6, the very first synth I ever owned.
It was a birthday gift from my maternal grandmother.

It was such a long time ago sometimes I forget that I even ever had one.
But that was truly the first synth I had where I really started to get into synths. I started using it to overdub using a dual cassette recorder deck that had an auxillary input.

On most forums I told people my first synth was a CZ-5000, but that actually came several years later, and was the first EDITABLE synth I owned and purchased with my own money.

What was your first piece of synth gear? (photos please)
Oh wow that was my SECOND synth I ever had my first synth was technically the
Casio PT-1 Synth Synthesizer

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

Bluesh1ft is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote