what in the world is going on with vinatge analog prices??? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements


Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 26-10-2017, 12:05 AM   #41
logic7
Soundscaper
logic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond repute
logic7's Avatar
someplace else
Posts: 301
MC Status: 3528
Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Re: what in the world is going on with vinatge analog prices???

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
You do realise that there's 25 years of interviews with popular artists talking about this gear. Videos of them using it, what do you expect. People keep going on about the hype about it like its fuckin stupid but what did you think was gonna happen. The music hasn't changed at all and so many popular artists tend to point towards old shit that they used (they're 40-50 now probably)

Forget gearslutz and forum cuntz who slag off gear all the time and have thousands of pounds worth of shit and just fanny about with sounds. They're the culprit cunts in all of this. Don't blame 25 year olds (not just saying that because im 25) because 25 year olds only get their hands on kit when they're dedicated enough to actually pay for it. Im sick of old people doing fuck all and having so much bloody opinions just fuck off and go and listen to joy division something cheers

Edit: This was not a self moderated rant don't be mad I chat a lot of shit cheers
I guess that was me. When I made the decision to "go big" and build out a proper recording rig I was 25 and working for a local music instrument shop. I traded my microphone for the Sequential and bought the TX7 and Peavey Unity 300 mixer in that same week; a few months before turning 26. I had already had the DS330, Novation MM10x controller, and a Roland JS-30 sampler (w/a Zip100 and an Apple external SCSI CDROM drive for it). Back then you really didn't have an option but to be serious about your music because virtual instruments was still in it's infancy. Computers that could run a large number of VST's really didn't exist and because the DAW's back then weren't multithreaded, having a dual processor machine was useless (plus multiple processors wasn't supported under Win9x and had shit support under MacOS). The DAW's available at that time were also horribly unstable on both Windows and MacOS. Back then I was doing some freelance contracting with a software startup on the side (doing CGI and music) and they had a Mac with Cubase VST 3.7 and the shit crashed left and right and it definitely wasn't any better under Windows 95b which I was running at home.

Truth be told, the young folks getting into it now have ALL the options available. You could buy a refurb business machine from Newegg for $125, get a monitor from Goodwill for $15, grab a Lexicon Alpha for $50, a cheap keyboard controller for $60-$70, decent headphones, download Reaper and an assload of free VSTi's and fx, grab all the free soundfonts you can find, and get started making music with an investment of less than $300 and with it you could conceivably bang out an amazing sounding track by the end of the night. At the same time, there's some fairly powerful new boards and modules for relatively cheap if you want to go the hardware route.

When I was 25, $300 bought you a copy of Cubase VST and that's it. ASIO audio cards were $250 at a minimum and they were all PCI cards. Your keyboard controller options were extremely limited and for the most part they were featureless; just keys, a midi port, sustain pedal jack, and pitch bend and mod controllers (The knobby M-audio Oxygen wouldn't be released for 2-3 more years). Back then a processor for a DAW-worthy desktop would have cost $500-$600 for a Pentium II 233. The cheapest halfway decent processor you could get that might get you two or three VSTfx running would have been a socket7 based AMD K6-233 and those ran about $300 alone. Because you needed SCSI hardware in your PC to be able to record properly, the cost of a DAW was sky high.

Nah, I gotta disagree. You guys really have all the options today.

Advertisements

logic7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 12:25 AM   #42
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
chasedobson's Avatar
Denver, CO
Posts: 3,299
MC Status: 1541127
Thanks: 1,081
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,318 Posts
Re: what in the world is going on with vinatge analog prices???

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic7 View Post
I guess that was me. When I made the decision to "go big" and build out a proper recording rig I was 25 and working for a local music instrument shop. I traded my microphone for the Sequential and bought the TX7 and Peavey Unity 300 mixer in that same week; a few months before turning 26. I had already had the DS330, Novation MM10x controller, and a Roland JS-30 sampler (w/a Zip100 and an Apple external SCSI CDROM drive for it). Back then you really didn't have an option but to be serious about your music because virtual instruments was still in it's infancy. Computers that could run a large number of VST's really didn't exist and because the DAW's back then weren't multithreaded, having a dual processor machine was useless (plus multiple processors wasn't supported under Win9x and had shit support under MacOS). The DAW's available at that time were also horribly unstable on both Windows and MacOS. Back then I was doing some freelance contracting with a software startup on the side (doing CGI and music) and they had a Mac with Cubase VST 3.7 and the shit crashed left and right and it definitely wasn't any better under Windows 95b which I was running at home.

Truth be told, the young folks getting into it now have ALL the options available. You could buy a refurb business machine from Newegg for $125, get a monitor from Goodwill for $15, grab a Lexicon Alpha for $50, a cheap keyboard controller for $60-$70, decent headphones, download Reaper and an assload of free VSTi's and fx, grab all the free soundfonts you can find, and get started making music with an investment of less than $300 and with it you could conceivably bang out an amazing sounding track by the end of the night. At the same time, there's some fairly powerful new boards and modules for relatively cheap if you want to go the hardware route.

When I was 25, $300 bought you a copy of Cubase VST and that's it. ASIO audio cards were $250 at a minimum and they were all PCI cards. Your keyboard controller options were extremely limited and for the most part they were featureless; just keys, a midi port, sustain pedal jack, and pitch bend and mod controllers (The knobby M-audio Oxygen wouldn't be released for 2-3 more years). Back then a processor for a DAW-worthy desktop would have cost $500-$600 for a Pentium II 233. The cheapest halfway decent processor you could get that might get you two or three VSTfx running would have been a socket7 based AMD K6-233 and those ran about $300 alone. Because you needed SCSI hardware in your PC to be able to record properly, the cost of a DAW was sky high.

Nah, I gotta disagree. You guys really have all the options today.

Are you 38? Just curious, as this mirrors my scenario 98-ish

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 02:17 AM   #43
logic7
Soundscaper
logic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond repute
logic7's Avatar
someplace else
Posts: 301
MC Status: 3528
Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Re: what in the world is going on with vinatge analog prices???

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
Are you 38? Just curious, as this mirrors my scenario 98-ish
I'm 45. I had been working in MI sales for 2 years when Cubase VST 3.5 was released. We had a machine in the recording area of my shop to run it and the boss/owner paid a pretty penny for that thing. Fully decked out with a 4.3GB AV rated SCSI hard drive, adaptec SCSI card, a SyQuest EZFlyer, either a Midiman Delta 44 or an Event/Echo Gina (can't remember), a P2-233MHz processor, 64MB RAM (sooooper expensive back then), and some cheap, random PCI video card. We had another machine down there to demo Ensoniq PARIS hardware too (I LOVED PARIS when it came out!)

I had to double check, but it was Cubase VST 3.5 that I was running alongside the software startup, not 3.7, which came out in '99. After nearly 20 years some things do get a little fuzzy.
logic7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 03:23 AM   #44
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
chasedobson's Avatar
Denver, CO
Posts: 3,299
MC Status: 1541127
Thanks: 1,081
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,318 Posts
Re: what in the world is going on with vinatge analog prices???

Ha! Sounds very framilar.

It was probably the Gina.

I did recording and PA sales for a half decade around the same time.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 04:03 AM   #45
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
A.M's Avatar
Age: 52
Posts: 10,021
MC Status: 198410
Thanks: 11,697
Thanked 3,968 Times in 2,955 Posts
Re: what in the world is going on with vinatge analog prices???

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
Ha! Sounds very framilar.

It was probably the Gina.

I did recording and PA sales for a half decade around the same time.
Dad?

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 07:32 AM   #46
logic7
Soundscaper
logic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond repute
logic7's Avatar
someplace else
Posts: 301
MC Status: 3528
Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Re: what in the world is going on with vinatge analog prices???

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
Ha! Sounds very framilar.

It was probably the Gina.

I did recording and PA sales for a half decade around the same time.
I was the recording and keys/samplers/drum machines guy for the shops I worked for. We had a guy that specialized in computer based recording, so he did all the Cubase/Logic/ProTools stuff and large studio design. I was more on the home recording and project studio end of it. Got sent to training for Roland's VS880 when it first came out and everything.
logic7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 09:22 AM   #47
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
FunkMasterBrown's Avatar
King's Head function room
Age: 26
Posts: 9,194
MC Status: 222282984
Thanks: 2,967
Thanked 2,636 Times in 1,756 Posts
Re: what in the world is going on with vinatge analog prices???

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic7 View Post

Nah, I gotta disagree. You guys really have all the options today.
Yes. We all have laptops that are powerful enough to make all the music we want on software we can get for free. Were also in a much shitter place than your generation, putting much more of our efforts into rent. So we need a bigge rreason to outlay the money in hardware that we dont technically need, you needed it. So when that guy is talking about young twenty something's with all the expendable money buying up all the vintage gear I have to wonder what world he lives in. Any internet space for music production discussion is full of people your age with music kit into the thousands this is my point

This was what my rant was about. I just decided that I didn't need a car and got some music kit instead. I will now be getting the bus to work. I have a good job!

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to FunkMasterBrown
relic (26-10-2017)
Old 26-10-2017, 10:05 AM   #48
logic7
Soundscaper
logic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond repute
logic7's Avatar
someplace else
Posts: 301
MC Status: 3528
Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Re: what in the world is going on with vinatge analog prices???

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post

Yes. We all have laptops that are powerful enough to make all the music we want on software we can get for free. Were also in a much shitter place than your generation, putting much more of our efforts into rent. So we need a bigge rreason to outlay the money in hardware that we dont technically need, you needed it. So when that guy is talking about young twenty something's with all the expendable money buying up all the vintage gear I have to wonder what world he lives in. Any internet space for music production discussion is full of people your age with music kit into the thousands this is my point

This was what my rant was about. I just decided that I didn't need a car and got some music kit instead. I will now be getting the bus to work. I have a good job!
I know this is gonna sound a lil too convenient, but when I was 25 I made the exact same decision. I rode the bus from '97 to 2000 and the reason was to divert money into my recording rig. The car I had was an '85 Prelude SI. The timing chain snapped on it in the summer of '97 and the engine ended up with bent valves, a $1200 job to fix so I let the car go and caught the bus. I quit my MI sales job and worked a contract office job from mid '98 to Jan 2000 making $9.50/hr, but busted my ass on OT so I ended up making roughly $26,500 both of those years. In Jan of 2000 I got hired into that company on the IT helpdesk to the tune of $34K/yr. I bought a car in June of 2000 because my girlfriend (soon to be wife) basically demanded I get one, and I paid $1000 for that car.
logic7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 10:07 AM   #49
Schnork
IDMf Artist
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
Schnork's Avatar
Age: 32
Posts: 961
MC Status: 19910
Thanks: 122
Thanked 398 Times in 291 Posts
Re: what in the world is going on with vinatge analog prices???

There‘s also like a billion 14-22 year old guys that produce and upload tracks.
Times have changed...and this is hugely influencal , you know? Everyone and their mother make music these days.
Now matter if you use a ton of pirated software or vintage gear, or budget gear or diy gear...

Last edited by Schnork; 26-10-2017 at 04:27 PM..

------------------
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Schnork
Br/ainfu+ked (27-10-2017)
Old 26-10-2017, 05:19 PM   #50
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
relic's Avatar
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
Posts: 17,839
MC Status: 8562280
Thanks: 11,240
Thanked 7,427 Times in 5,250 Posts
Re: what in the world is going on with vinatge analog prices???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnork View Post
There‘s also like a billion 14-22 year old guys that produce and upload tracks.
Times have changed...and this is hugely influencal , you know? Everyone and their mother make music these days.
Now matter if you use a ton of pirated software or vintage gear, or budget gear or diy gear...
Now musicians know what its like to be a writer. Tell someone your a writer they chuckle and think “yea, and my granny also writes sweet little poems about flowers.”

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 05:51 PM   #51
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
chasedobson's Avatar
Denver, CO
Posts: 3,299
MC Status: 1541127
Thanks: 1,081
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,318 Posts
Re: what in the world is going on with vinatge analog prices???

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic7 View Post
I was the recording and keys/samplers/drum machines guy for the shops I worked for. We had a guy that specialized in computer based recording, so he did all the Cubase/Logic/ProTools stuff and large studio design. I was more on the home recording and project studio end of it. Got sent to training for Roland's VS880 when it first came out and everything.

did the same with Kurzweil to learn their V.A.S.T. system, and Korg Triton when it was released.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 04:14 AM   #52
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Numerical's Avatar
Austin
Age: 40
Posts: 10,845
MC Status: 45947481
Thanks: 6,802
Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,633 Posts
Re: what in the world is going on with vinatge analog prices???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
I think FMB pegged it. Limited supply due to passage of time and increased demand, mostly due to the internet and the ease and popularity of music production in general.
Big 80s revival going on, or has been going on the past few years. Synthwave and all that.

Makes me wonder when very early 90s R&B/soul is coming back. I have a soft spot for Milli Vanilli. [swoon]
Numerical is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
Jaded (27-10-2017)
Old 27-10-2017, 09:49 AM   #53
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
lolirl's Avatar
Posts: 14,270
MC Status: 744040641
Thanks: 11,028
Thanked 7,464 Times in 4,621 Posts
Re: what in the world is going on with vinatge analog prices???

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Now musicians know what its like to be a writer. Tell someone your a writer they chuckle and think “yea, and my granny also writes sweet little poems about flowers.”
Now writers know what it's like to be a photographer. :boohoo:
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 02:19 PM   #54
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
chasedobson's Avatar
Denver, CO
Posts: 3,299
MC Status: 1541127
Thanks: 1,081
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,318 Posts
Re: what in the world is going on with vinatge analog prices???

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Now writers know what it's like to be a photographer. :boohoo:

now photographers know what its like to do cave paintings.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 02:42 PM   #55
Dr. Sleaze
IDMf Artist
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute
Dr. Sleaze's Avatar
I'm not who or where you think I am.
Posts: 300
MC Status: 9060
Thanks: 90
Thanked 181 Times in 130 Posts
Re: what in the world is going on with vinatge analog prices???

I think most the reasons have been touched on here already. The main one's being, the machines are old, often not an perfect health, and it's hard to get replacement parts. The people who have them, are more reluctent to sell them, even if they don't use them much, You only have to look at your present situation to understand why.
The 80's revival thing and the interest in synth music in general. For small bands the need for hardware to play live, as that's what brings in money, more than digital sales for many of them.
People like myself, who actually started on software and have gone to hardware, and now have a mixture of old and new stuff. DAWless jamming has become very popular, and most start with old gear, as it's still cheaper than a lot of the new stuff. and also often has better functionality too, but not always.
Now it's either pay the piper or make some compromises.
Dr. Sleaze is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 05:15 PM   #56
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
A.M's Avatar
Age: 52
Posts: 10,021
MC Status: 198410
Thanks: 11,697
Thanked 3,968 Times in 2,955 Posts
Re: what in the world is going on with vinatge analog prices???

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
now photographers know what its like to do cave paintings.
Now cave paintings know what it's like to be...to be..be..old? It's all relative, isn't it.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:23 AM   #57
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
Jaded's Avatar
Posts: 4,401
MC Status: 6906559
Thanks: 4,781
Thanked 3,547 Times in 2,147 Posts
Re: what in the world is going on with vinatge analog prices???

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Now writers know what it's like to be a photographer. :boohoo:
And they say hoarding vintage synths is an expensive hobby...

Advertisements

Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
relic (04-11-2017)
Reply


Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:35 PM.


Electronic Music Forums

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.