Namm 2017 - Interesting? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 24-01-2017, 05:24 PM   #41
brb
IDMf Artist
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC
The Wrong Side Of History
MC Status: 69889369
Re: Namm 2017 - Interesting?

I assume you mean something more than just a sampler, which kind of does just that. What do you mean?

Advertisements

------------------
:mayonesa:
brb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 08:02 PM   #42
FairyLand INC.
Microknight
FairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1160

Relic - like a hardware granular synth? now that WOULD be sick.... and a major advancement....

brb - i feel what you are saying my man and your point about re-hashing is true, refinement is an art in itself... my point is that they are refining old stuff (in some cases replicating) with new components that dont sound as good as the originals - they are basically VSTS packaged in expensive plastic.... as the guy with the TR8 said, it sounds good but it still samples... i mean the original 808 was legendary and innovative at the same time because it used bridged T oscillators, which no one else was doing at the time, its why the decay on those bad boys is so musical and rhythmic...

id like to see some better dedicated hardware effects as well.... something like the Sound Toys Decapitator or the Ohmicide.....
FairyLand INC. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to FairyLand INC.
Nystagmus (26-01-2017)
Old 26-01-2017, 04:15 PM   #43
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 20760

the rev2 and op-z look pretty cool, but I can't keep myself from thinking that dave smith screwed up by partnering with pioneer to make a monophonic synth.
there were a few other pretty cool little things here and there, I have to say, teenage engineering really stole the show for me with the sudden release of the tonic and the official op-z announcement, I really like the creative minds at some of these places.
I know they didn't do anything at namm, but critter and guitari is another company trying to make some good creative stuff like T.E. overall, namm looked really fun, especially with Stevie Wonder showing up and playing the new arp model.

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mute machine
Nystagmus (26-01-2017)
Old 23-02-2017, 07:37 AM   #44
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MC
ottawa
MC Status: 10310

I've been going to namm for 25 years. Played the OB-6 this year. Made me want to cry it was so perfect.

That's all.
envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 07:58 AM   #45
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 23260

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
I like (and kinda sorta want) some of the Roland stuff, system 8 included (I think it's pretty neat-o), but I want to treat that like an analog synth because it wants me to think that way.
I saw the sonic state review of the system 8 and I was really surprised. Yes, it has a lot of "look at how analog I can be" going on, but it turns out it's got some pretty nasty digital stuff hidden in the filters and oscillators. Not everything I'd hoped for (additive synthesis is the shit), but it does make me have second thoughts about the thought I quoted here.

------------------
Also, check this out. Updated 1-19-18.

https://www.facebook.com/JP4onthefloor/
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 05:27 AM   #46
prophonic
Minor Glitch
prophonic is a jewel in the roughprophonic is a jewel in the roughprophonic is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

So Namm, Musikmesse and Superbooth went by and neither Korg nor Roland were showing any 'serious' analog poly (6 or 8 voice, normal size keys), that surprised me.
I am curious what Korg will do next (Summer Namm).
prophonic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 09:47 PM   #47
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 23260

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophonic View Post
So Namm, Musikmesse and Superbooth went by and neither Korg nor Roland were showing any 'serious' analog poly (6 or 8 voice, normal size keys), that surprised me.
I am curious what Korg will do next (Summer Namm).
As far as I know, Roland is all-in on digital stuff, hence the Aira line. I like the System 1-m and the System 8, I'd consider either of them if I was looking at something in their respective price range. Bonus that I wouldn't need to pick up an audio interface if I started with one of those as my first synth.

------------------
Also, check this out. Updated 1-19-18.

https://www.facebook.com/JP4onthefloor/
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 12:26 AM   #48
prophonic
Minor Glitch
prophonic is a jewel in the roughprophonic is a jewel in the roughprophonic is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

I am looking out for the big brethren to the JD-XA or Minilogue. Not that i can't live without them, but if it sounds right and all sorts of parameters can be controlled via Midi or CV, i might get one.
Digital is ok, i use a JP-8080, but like it most for the things that you can not do with analog.

Advertisements

prophonic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote