Do I really need samples? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Ambient / Downtempo Discussion of music similar to Brian Eno, Sigur Rós, FSOL, The Orb, Biosphere.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:22 AM   #21
mwvm
Regular Freak
mwvm is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Re: Do I really need samples?

i once stuck a mic out the window and it ended up on a record...

i think - recording something for the sake of recording something "can" be useful....

Advertisements

mwvm is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #22
Scout
Soundwave Mangler
Scout is a savage MCScout is a savage MCScout is a savage MCScout is a savage MCScout is a savage MCScout is a savage MCScout is a savage MCScout is a savage MCScout is a savage MCScout is a savage MCScout is a savage MC
MC Status: 2847396

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwvm View Post
i once stuck a mic out the window and it ended up on a record...

i think - recording something for the sake of recording something "can" be useful....
Sometimes you can get the most interesting sounds by accident. I remember a passenger in a forest asking me what I'm doing offside the route. At first I was angry about the ruined recording but at home I turned the guy into some kind of dark orc-voice. The processing part was really fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acousrama View Post
I, personally allways create everything (instruments and sounds). The more you serve yourself in bank, the more your music will sound common. It's obvious, that it's better to work than to go with facilities.
In fact, it's quite easy to compose now using fruityloops or things like that, sure, everything is done, you just have to joign sounds together.
I agree on that, that's the reason why I avoid Synth presets as well. And if you want to use samples, then grab a microphone and run around^^. Cause in the end you can say "I made everythng on my own". Somthing to be proud of. By the way, I use Fruity Loops and it works great for me^^. Nobody tells you to use the endless sample databases at all, it's up to the user - and that goes for any DAW.

------------------
Scout is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #23
LiteweightAlloy
Learning The Ropes
LiteweightAlloy is currently spamming hard

uhh, quick question,

What kind of mic should I buy to record sounds and samples outside?
LiteweightAlloy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #24
Scout
Soundwave Mangler
Scout is a savage MCScout is a savage MCScout is a savage MCScout is a savage MCScout is a savage MCScout is a savage MCScout is a savage MCScout is a savage MCScout is a savage MCScout is a savage MCScout is a savage MC
MC Status: 2847396

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteweightAlloy View Post
uhh, quick question,

What kind of mic should I buy to record sounds and samples outside?
Really depends on what quality you expect or need. I use a Zoom H2 and it works fine for me. You can spend much more if you want, but you gotta ask yourself whether you need it.

------------------
Scout is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #25
LiteweightAlloy
Learning The Ropes
LiteweightAlloy is currently spamming hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
Really depends on what quality you expect or need. I use a Zoom H2 and it works fine for me. You can spend much more if you want, but you gotta ask yourself whether you need it.

I took a look at that mic and it looks pretty good. I might invest in that and buy it later this year or something. Thanks a lot
LiteweightAlloy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #26
spacecase
Regular Freak
spacecase is a savage MCspacecase is a savage MCspacecase is a savage MCspacecase is a savage MCspacecase is a savage MCspacecase is a savage MCspacecase is a savage MCspacecase is a savage MCspacecase is a savage MCspacecase is a savage MCspacecase is a savage MC
DC
MC Status: 936455

Samples are good starting tools I've found, but you can also whip something up in a DAW program or even tinker around and make your own sound algorithms. The creative possibilities are endless.
spacecase is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:23 PM   #27
StickyPuppets
Microknight
StickyPuppets is a savage MCStickyPuppets is a savage MCStickyPuppets is a savage MCStickyPuppets is a savage MCStickyPuppets is a savage MCStickyPuppets is a savage MCStickyPuppets is a savage MCStickyPuppets is a savage MCStickyPuppets is a savage MCStickyPuppets is a savage MCStickyPuppets is a savage MC
Mobile, AL
MC Status: 916407

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteweightAlloy View Post
I took a look at that mic and it looks pretty good. I might invest in that and buy it later this year or something. Thanks a lot
I use the Zoom H2 as well. I really like it and it's really easy to use.
StickyPuppets is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 12:28 AM   #28
supraom
Learning The Ropes
supraom is currently spamming hard
Caracas

Yes u need some.
supraom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 12:49 AM   #29
Inofaith
Sample Destroyer
Inofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MC
MC Status: 2299606

You don't have to use them. Also depends on if somebody else made it or you did yourself.

Back in the day when I first started messing around with DAW's I cut some sounds from music I had on the computer, hiphop like mashup things and loops. Then for a while I did managed to get a hold of a bunch of folders with pre-made kicks, snares etc.
But the whole downloading 10GB of VST's or Samples overwhelmed me, I didn't know what to pick.

I already recorded tapes from the radio but then I borrowed my brother's MiniDisc and found a crappy mic in the attic and started recording my own stuff outside the house, in the shed and at school with friends. Really fun and sometimes I found a cool sound I'd use for beats.

Nowadays I have better recording equipment and mics and I just look out for objects that sound cool, record them, prep them a little and ad them to my library. Way more fun, and since you made or captured all the sounds yourself, you're much more aware of what you actually have sitting in your library, and sometimes sounds can make you remember events that happened during the time of recording.

As opposed to 9999 unlabelled kicks in some medium quality format that you have no connection with anyway.

I do have a little folder with a few good rare funk/jazz breaks that I just keep in case I need a nice snare/rim. But I have recorded some nice woodwork and I always end up using that for snare.

There's some sounds synthesis/editing can't produce, just capture nature and your environment

------------------
Inofaith is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 03:46 AM   #30
psynapsurfa
Regular Freak
psynapsurfa will become famous soon enough
inside outer space
MC Status: 60

i guess it kinda comes down to how you define a sample.... cuz once you have recorded something yourself, it then is a sample of what you were recording... so it is all sampling really..

i have the ableton suite, with all the orchestral instruments, that really on playing multi sampled instruments... i love this form of sampling... i couldnt record or play the instruments so they are invaluable to my experiments and learning... i keep a few gigs of drums, acc, and electronic, but am finding i enjoy the process of synthesising my own, either with found sounds manipulated, or via synthesiser...and actually find it easier tio fit a kick when i make it myself...

as for the rest of it... i use simpler to chop up any number of samples, either stuff i record, or loops i have found...

my attitude is there are no rules, and if it feels good do it...

that said, i think there is a certain value in employing rules for track creation... ie, make a track only in 5/4, in the one note, only from sinewaves and the sound of a glass being hit with a rock... with those rules alone one can create indefiniely... if one is a clever sample manipulator and a cunning bastard
psynapsurfa is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:43 AM   #31
theglimmerroom
Regular Freak
theglimmerroom has a reputation beyond reputetheglimmerroom has a reputation beyond reputetheglimmerroom has a reputation beyond reputetheglimmerroom has a reputation beyond reputetheglimmerroom has a reputation beyond reputetheglimmerroom has a reputation beyond reputetheglimmerroom has a reputation beyond reputetheglimmerroom has a reputation beyond reputetheglimmerroom has a reputation beyond reputetheglimmerroom has a reputation beyond reputetheglimmerroom has a reputation beyond repute
Nr Colchester
MC Status: 8285

I am finding myself using less and less by way of samples and more field recordings I tend to work out what the track needs and then go out and record it myself I have an Tascam DR07 really cheap but it works for me. If I need something more exotic there is always the freesound project that normally comes up with the goods. I have a nice sample library I have collected over the years I probably look through once in a while mostly for drum sounds on the rare occasion I use drums. Sample based instruments I do use though.
theglimmerroom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:35 AM   #32
jonah
Regular Freak
jonah has a reputation beyond reputejonah has a reputation beyond reputejonah has a reputation beyond reputejonah has a reputation beyond reputejonah has a reputation beyond reputejonah has a reputation beyond reputejonah has a reputation beyond reputejonah has a reputation beyond reputejonah has a reputation beyond reputejonah has a reputation beyond reputejonah has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inofaith View Post
[....]
But the whole downloading 10GB of VST's or Samples overwhelmed me, I didn't know what to pick. [....]
since you made or captured all the sounds yourself, you're much more aware of what you actually have sitting in your library, and sometimes sounds can make you remember events that happened during the time of recording.

As opposed to 9999 unlabelled kicks in some medium quality format that you have no connection with anyway.
Good points, but I don't think it even matters if they are pristine quality and have very detailed labels. Other than for commercial work where someone else often gives you a general idea of what sounds to use I don't find it inspiring to go through gigs and gigs of samples. Still, I have A LOT of samples that I keep on an external drive and only use when I need them. Also, I keep a text list and sometimes I pick one semi-randomly to jam out with and run through effects.

Because:
Quote:
Originally Posted by psynapsurfa
[....]with all the orchestral instruments, that really on playing multi sampled instruments... i love this form of sampling... i couldnt record or play the instruments
True, good sample libraries are played on brilliant instruments in incredible acoustic spaces and I while I'm lacking a personal connection they can be inspiring due to how good they sound.

One way I've found to reclaim sample sets and make a more personal connection to them is to resample and layer them into your own custom instruments, drums kits are obvious.

Taking it a step further I layered a bunch of piano type noises and them played them back through various speakers into acoustic spaces that feel special to me and re-layered them into new instrument(s). I rented out some gear to sample outside(parking garage, beach, field), spent some time at studios and I even did my room though it's a bit too reverberant.

I'm not going to say it sounds better , but I enjoy playing them more than anything else.

If anyone is interested in doing something like this check out sample robot for windows or redmatica keymap/automap for osx. They make it pretty painless and it won't take much time at all away form actually making music. Once I had everything figured out I was able to get away with renting just 1/2 hour of studio time.
jonah is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:08 AM   #33
astroidmist
Banned
astroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MC
3 floors above you
MC Status: 13248268

I think I'm going to start doing some ambient-ish type of stuff. I have started a collection of homemade distorted field samples and also some homemade processed synth drones and semi-glichy salient stuff. I have some really really good imaginative sounds, but I don't have any place for them inside of my dancey tunes. So I guess I'm gonna go ambient experimental again.

I don't need samples, but I like the ones I made. I think you can really do amazing things once you convert a VSTi into a sample and layer it with other stuff and add effects and tweak the pitch and stuff. And you can filter the stuff with modulated filters and stuff too to make it sound like some kind of amazing supersynth again.
astroidmist is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 05:26 PM   #34
Winterbound
Learning The Ropes
Winterbound is currently spamming hard
Armagh

I make Dark Ambient myself for about 6 years now, but on the side of sampling? Well I do a lot of field recording and sample from my own sources. Machines, construction sites, pipes, water, lakes, weather basically anything that can be captured on a digital recorder is.

I would run all the samples I recorded through Kontakt and generally process them in weird ways to create something entirely unique. All sounds are different, they have all their own DNA so to speak so taking the world around you and capturing it is an infinite feat but it pays dividends. Alongside field recordings I spend countless hours programming new synth sounds from scratch.

And all this crap talk about grabbing a synth pad and adding reverb and delay and you have a track - only people I hear that say that are completely ignorant to the art of ambiance whether it is dark or dark industrial ambient. I am afraid there is a lot more to it than just adding reverb over a synth patch and calling it a finished track. People assume that because there is not a lot of melodic content in dark ambient that it is a breeze to make, that is a wholly false view held by ignorant people.

A lot of my work tends to be longer than 5 minutes long - that is only my shorter tracks - I create a lot of long-form tracks that run between 30 minutes to 60 minutes per track -

But like a lot of people have already said it is your music and you are entitled to sample if you wish from whatever sources you choose - at the end of the day just have fun and enjoy creating your music no matter what, if it makes you happy and you enjoy it then in the end that is all that really matters.
Winterbound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #35
Wizzardd
Minor Glitch
Wizzardd is a savage MCWizzardd is a savage MCWizzardd is a savage MCWizzardd is a savage MCWizzardd is a savage MCWizzardd is a savage MCWizzardd is a savage MCWizzardd is a savage MCWizzardd is a savage MCWizzardd is a savage MCWizzardd is a savage MC
MC Status: 341967

One thing that is missing from all the DAWs, is help in the software and good advice on how to create a commercial release quality sound. It's all very well learning a software, but it's only half the journey. We need help in our DAW with the mastering, and making our work release-ready. I say all this because there are right ways and wrong ways to do field recordings and use microphones and mastering that sound. Just doing holding a mic out and recording is very far from a professional process. I suspect there is more to the professional recordings of ambiance, animals, traffic etc. All movies post production make use of sample sound fx and sample ambiance, just because the recordings are the right levels, clarity and stereo balanced etc. Why don't the big studios just record their own?
Wizzardd.
Wizzardd is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #36
BlueSkyPreserve
Regular Freak
BlueSkyPreserve is a savage MCBlueSkyPreserve is a savage MCBlueSkyPreserve is a savage MCBlueSkyPreserve is a savage MCBlueSkyPreserve is a savage MCBlueSkyPreserve is a savage MCBlueSkyPreserve is a savage MCBlueSkyPreserve is a savage MCBlueSkyPreserve is a savage MCBlueSkyPreserve is a savage MCBlueSkyPreserve is a savage MC
Jönköping
MC Status: 111399

I prefer to record my own on a Zoom H1 or download from freesound if I need something I can't record. No need to keep my hard drive cluttered with samples I probably won't use.
BlueSkyPreserve is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 12:49 AM   #37
Wizzardd
Minor Glitch
Wizzardd is a savage MCWizzardd is a savage MCWizzardd is a savage MCWizzardd is a savage MCWizzardd is a savage MCWizzardd is a savage MCWizzardd is a savage MCWizzardd is a savage MCWizzardd is a savage MCWizzardd is a savage MCWizzardd is a savage MC
MC Status: 341967

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkyPreserve View Post
No need to keep my hard drive cluttered with samples I probably won't use.
Exactly, that's why the 1TB external USB drives are so useful , I have two.

------------------
Wizzardd is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 12:54 PM   #38
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786029
Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,770 Posts

Personally, I feel that if you make very percussion-oriented tracks, you have to have at least some drum hits.
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #39
riverman
Learning The Ropes
riverman can only hope to improveriverman can only hope to improveriverman can only hope to improveriverman can only hope to improveriverman can only hope to improveriverman can only hope to improveriverman can only hope to improveriverman can only hope to improveriverman can only hope to improveriverman can only hope to improveriverman can only hope to improve
MC Status: -1687882

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostequal View Post
Ah, feels good to hear people do use drum samples. I suck at creating my own and modifying things other people made just makes it sound much much better. But I always felt like I was cheating.

Am I?
I wouldn't say cheating because even if there is a rule book for music production, I think it's partly our duty here at IDMf to systematically break 'em all

I'd imagine it's a bit like learning how to swim though. If you do learn to be reliant on life jackets (or in your case ready-made samples) you won't have the necessary ability to stay above surface without them. For whatever the fuck that's worth.
Most people seem to find an awful lot of fun in tweakin' them knobs and making their own, too, so it'd be a shame if you missed out on something that would potentially fuel your urge to create. It also develops originality, by the nature of the process. Only you decide the outcome of your creation.

I don't know though, you seem to have your personal style, and that should be final. Just wanted to swing a few words your way mate. Cheers!
riverman is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 12:11 AM   #40
pBrane
Sample Destroyer
pBrane has a spectacular aura aboutpBrane has a spectacular aura aboutpBrane has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

I make all my drums from samples and then usually hunt for the sound I want in a sample if I'm unable to recreate it with a synthesiser. I do usually prefer to use a sample than to synthesise as I think the sound has more character from a sample but there are obviously some sounds that have to be synthesised.

Advertisements

------------------
pBrane is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote