[SynthPop-Instrumental] Daggit - Hard Candy
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 21-09-2017, 11:49 PM   #1
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
"Let beauty loose!" --Nitzer Ebb
MC Status: 8560
Icon3 [SynthPop-Instrumental] Daggit - Hard Candy

HARD CANDY

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

This is a free download, of course!

It's a pretty cheerful tune.
I won't be doing very many of those, hahaha.

Advertisements

------------------
{novel, fresh, different, recent, modern, unexampled}
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [SynthPop-Instrumental] Daggit - Hard Candy.
Old 26-09-2017, 08:06 PM   #2
einmeier
Granular Poster
einmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1709
Re: [SynthPop-Instrumental] Daggit - Hard Candy

Funny blend and mix of several genres/styles and sounds, like ultra-synthetic synthlines and just-a-bit-synth-pluck-sound, some synthpop- and d'n'b-influences over here and over there and some EDM-sounds on top - what a rollercoaster! ;=) like especially the melodies, they are cute! pretty entertaining track as you never know what will happen next.
einmeier is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 05:50 AM   #3
dada_davros
IDMf Supporter
dada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MC
MC Status: 11910

Awesome, just awesome. Reminiscent of Plaid at times

------------------
dada_davros is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 03:10 PM   #4
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute

THANKS!!!!!

I am really thankful for your feedback.
That's exactly the type of style I'm going for these days... unpredictable and a roller coaster. Sounds like you *get* it. Some people don't seem to comprehend the ethos behind the music, but you do.

Peace be with ya.

I'll try to keep making better and better tunes.
It's feedback like yours that encourages me to keep making free downloads for everybody willing to listen.

In a couple of days I'm getting a field recorder, so expect to be surprised in some future tunes with some weirdness
I will also be trying to improve the mix quality of my already-made tunes. So there will eventually be updates.

------------------
Old 29-09-2017, 07:07 PM   #5
einmeier
Granular Poster
einmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1709

Awesome! For sure you'll have a lot of fun with the fieldrecorder and it really helps to listen closely: Years ago i recorded street musicians, ambiences, noises and even a walk at the 'Oktoberfest' and when listening just to the sound itself at home i then figured out so many noises (some good, some useful, some inspiring, some just distroying the audio i wanted to use) and sounds i had no idea they were there when recording. It's an interesting effect to focus only on the sound not getting diverted by what you saw/see.

Honestly, even i see most tv shows in english and often watch CNN (only english channel i do have over here) and the company i am working for is located in Canada i still often am searching for the proper words/terms and phrases to describe my impressions when listening to the tracks and songs over here as i am not an english native speaker, so please bear with me in case sometimes it sounds a bit weird what i wrote.
einmeier is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 09:15 PM   #6
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1837627

Did I hear Candi Staton - yes I did...it's off but it works. Nice work with the drums and snare roll. Bass kcik could do with being toned down literally jusst a db or 2.
Like the way it pans out, starts of again quite gamey (see comment on other thread) and 8bit gaming vibe, but transpires into a nice musical piece.

Personally I would remove the first part. The track really works for me from the 2min 2.8 mark onward. Everything prior to this is a big BUT/HOWEVER to me

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 01:30 PM   #7
Iyashi Sound
Microknight
Iyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4360

Interesting stuff. I especially like the mix of different drum styles and sounds. Old-school eclecticism maybe?

One critical comment maybe, that it feels almost like you've made a rule about always having at least one synth going. That's just a style choice I suppose, but I don't think you have to fear using the drums on their own for some periods. In fact I'd love to hear some more of your drum programming up front Thanks.
Iyashi Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 06:51 PM   #8
StampedeMe
Future Epic Ban Victim
StampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond repute
Elblag
MC Status: 4161

At the beginning first 15 seconds I was thinking it's going to suck. To suck in a "not my taste" kind of way but the percussive and bassy part came in and I was positively excited. Some good use of that breakbeat out there in the drums section.

------------------
Most of my posts begin with: "Well,"
StampedeMe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 08:52 PM   #9
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Icon7 Re: [SynthPop-Instrumental] Daggit - Hard Candy

Wow you guys are giving some really useful constructive criticism--thanks. I will get back to you in a few days when i have a better internet access.

------------------
Old 02-10-2017, 05:12 PM   #10
Daggit
Master of the LFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyashi Sound View Post
Interesting stuff. I especially like the mix of different drum styles and sounds. Old-school eclecticism maybe?

One critical comment maybe, that it feels almost like you've made a rule about always having at least one synth going. That's just a style choice I suppose, but I don't think you have to fear using the drums on their own for some periods. In fact I'd love to hear some more of your drum programming up front Thanks.
Thanks for the idea of leaving out the synths in some parts.
I don't have any rules about keeping synths going, it's just that the way I compose layer upon layer and then arrange, sometimes I forget about other ways of doing things. I'm glad you mentioned this.

My drum programming is getting better, but I still tend to have some issues with it. But I will try. A few of my tunes turned out really well for drums. I'm a slow learner.

------------------
Old 02-10-2017, 05:14 PM   #11
Daggit
Master of the LFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXxx View Post
Did I hear Candi Staton - yes I did...it's off but it works. Nice work with the drums and snare roll. Bass kcik could do with being toned down literally jusst a db or 2.
Like the way it pans out, starts of again quite gamey (see comment on other thread) and 8bit gaming vibe, but transpires into a nice musical piece.

Personally I would remove the first part. The track really works for me from the 2min 2.8 mark onward. Everything prior to this is a big BUT/HOWEVER to me
I get what you are saying. I kinda had a hard time with this tune. I will see what I can do to edit it maybe. I don't have the stems anymore, so I might not be able to do it right. Yet thanks for the comments and for listening as well.

------------------
Old 02-10-2017, 05:15 PM   #12
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Icon3 Re: [SynthPop-Instrumental] Daggit - Hard Candy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampedeMe View Post
At the beginning first 15 seconds I was thinking it's going to suck. To suck in a "not my taste" kind of way but the percussive and bassy part came in and I was positively excited. Some good use of that breakbeat out there in the drums section.
Hey thanks man. I appreciate it!

------------------
Old 08-10-2017, 07:37 PM   #13
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8540830
Thanked 6,998 Times in 4,973 Posts

Really fun track. I saw this “synth pop” tune with your name attached and had been curious. I’ve a terrible habit of never finding my way to the LB.

All I have is praise for your track : ) Really like this direction you are taking.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:35 PM   #14
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Icon2 Re: [SynthPop-Instrumental] Daggit - Hard Candy

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Really fun track. I saw this “synth pop” tune with your name attached and had been curious. I’ve a terrible habit of never finding my way to the LB.

All I have is praise for your track : ) Really like this direction you are taking.
That means a lot to me; thank-you.

I had a lot of trouble getting this track to where it is now and it's still not exactly where I want it to be for the reasons mentioned above by others and some other reasons.

Part of why I throw out my stems is so that I quit overworking tunes and just move on to making something better. After a few weeks working on the same tune very slowly I need to diverge into other things.

I like to keep my hard drives lean and simple and backups already take a long time, so keeping stems is just not worth it unless the track really has the gaps and space to work with.

My next few tracks are arguably a lot better, but I'm sort of currently stalled for a while. I've been reconfiguring my DAW in some better ways, though. And I'm slowly refining my sound palettes.

I admittedly used some free rhythm samples off the internet for this tune and tried to change them up a bit more, but I'm not yet very good at that. So I will be going back to using more of my own sound presets and homemade drum loops and stuff.

But this was still a good phase for me, because in the past I never much tried conventional phrase sampling. Now that I've tried it, I understand better the pros and cons of it.

Anyways, the main thing is if people like the music.
I can never really predict which tunes of mine people will like the most. It seems like the tunes that I like best others only like moderately, while tunes that I'm not too crazy about people seem to enjoy enough to comment upon more than my preferred tracks.

I'm not saying that I don't like "Hard Candy", but I've done better and have some arguably better and more original tracks in the queue.

Anyways, thanks for reading this. Peace be with you and everybody.

------------------
Old 09-10-2017, 10:16 PM   #15
qantuum
Minor Glitch
qantuum has a spectacular aura aboutqantuum has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

Very good stuff.
As said before, I can catch a Plaid influence.

Nicely brought.
qantuum is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:45 PM   #16
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1536227
Thanked 1,960 Times in 1,250 Posts

that ROMpler guitar (?) around 1:40 is really doing it for me.

something about the "blue note" that reminds me of a NIN tune. this is great stuff!

Advertisements

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote