add more screens easily
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Technology & Lifestyle Gadgets, gaming, computers and new inventions. This forum is not used for music production.

Old 26-03-2017, 08:10 PM   #1
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18024419
add more screens easily

i found this little gem and i thought i would share it with you lovely cunts.

http://spacedesk.ph/

i was able to add a third monitor using my laptop without buying a new graphics card or any peripherals.
it uses your network to send information to a laptop, tablet, mobile phone and other stuff so you can use it as another screen.
the best part is the slave device displays the screen in a window, meaning my laptop was still free to do other things if i need it to.

i found the refresh rate to be very slow though, but i was connecting wireless on both devices. i imagine it would be faster when hardwired into the network, but for my use it is fine as it is.

EDIT:
probably should have mentioned its completely free!

Last edited by Parricide; 26-03-2017 at 08:31 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Parricide
relic (26-03-2017)
Old 26-03-2017, 08:19 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541930
Thanked 7,020 Times in 4,987 Posts
Re: add more screens easily

I'll check this out for sure if they ever come up with an iOS client app. I can't believe this is free?

I had my second monitor and/or my USB VGA expansion cord thingy die on me and was totally bummed. Though I'm almost used to the single monitor workspace again. I'll have to get one of the old laptops up to snuff and give that a go.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 08:30 PM   #3
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I'll check this out for sure if they ever come up with an iOS client app. I can't believe this is free?

I had my second monitor and/or my USB VGA expansion cord thingy die on me and was totally bummed. Though I'm almost used to the single monitor workspace again. I'll have to get one of the old laptops up to snuff and give that a go.
yes its 100% free. probably should have mentioned that.

they say they are developing an ios client app, but i dont know how long this has been the case as i only just learned about it.

i cant work on one monitor any more, i dont know how you manage adding screens can be pretty expensive though, pretty sure i would just make do if i had to too.

if you do try it and you hardwire in, could you let me know how well it performs? im curious to know how much of a difference it makes. it works for simply viewing things (i used it for anaysers) but it would be frustrating to use if i actually had to interact on it.

i hope its useful to you and can get you a second monitor again

------------------
signature loading...
Old 26-03-2017, 08:36 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541930
Thanked 7,020 Times in 4,987 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
yes its 100% free. probably should have mentioned that.

they say they are developing an ios client app, but i dont know how long this has been the case as i only just learned about it.

i cant work on one monitor any more, i dont know how you manage adding screens can be pretty expensive though, pretty sure i would just make do if i had to too.

if you do try it and you hardwire in, could you let me know how well it performs? im curious to know how much of a difference it makes. it works for simply viewing things (i used it for anaysers) but it would be frustrating to use if i actually had to interact on it.

i hope its useful to you and can get you a second monitor again
I'm not terribly tech savvy myself, I doubt I would do it hardwired as the router lives on the opposite end of the house on a different floor. Or I can I can just set up a router in my studio if I can find an extra one somewhere. Right, just a network for the dual monitoring. Don't literally need an internet connection. I'll have to look into that.

My partner was given a bunch of extra computer stuff from her company recently. A couple of monitors but they are HDMI or some other HDMI looking connector. I'm not even sure if I have all the motherboard stuff installed or if I could do dual monitor with one VGA or one HDMI. Really need to look into what I might be able to do with what I have, but I usually end up just sucking it up and using my free time for music instead of fixing issues in my studio : )

It was a bit of a struggle going back to one monitor. I love FL Studio, but its a bit of a mess with all its windows.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 08:57 PM   #5
Parricide

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I'm not terribly tech savvy myself, I doubt I would do it hardwired as the router lives on the opposite end of the house on a different floor. Or I can I can just set up a router in my studio if I can find an extra one somewhere. Right, just a network for the dual monitoring. Don't literally need an internet connection. I'll have to look into that.

My partner was given a bunch of extra computer stuff from her company recently. A couple of monitors but they are HDMI or some other HDMI looking connector. I'm not even sure if I have all the motherboard stuff installed or if I could do dual monitor with one VGA or one HDMI. Really need to look into what I might be able to do with what I have, but I usually end up just sucking it up and using my free time for music instead of fixing issues in my studio : )

It was a bit of a struggle going back to one monitor. I love FL Studio, but its a bit of a mess with all its windows.
yea just a router should work, you can connect them both using LAN. i have the same problem, my router is in the opposite corner of the house on a different floor

you can use both HDMI and VGA together if you have the hardware, thats exactly what my setup uses, one of each, but my graphics card has outputs for both.
you win over me though because you spend the time in your studio, i just cant seem to find the time these days :'( although i did have a good session today.

i sometimes use my laptop just to play using only one monitor and i hate it, always moving things out of the way to get to other things. even when im just using reason it gets too much. suppose we just spoil ourselves like little brats XD

Advertisements

------------------
signature loading...