Convolution EQ and Compression
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
marsdrums
marsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MC
Turin
MC Status: 13535
Convolution EQ and Compression

Hi!

Have you ever found/tried any EQ or compressor IR?

The compressor's IR will not reproduce the dynamic effect since convolution only works for linear and time-invariant systems; compression is by definition non-linear, so it cannot be captured by simple convolution. If you attempt to get an impulse response from a compressor you will capture its phase and eq characteristics, but not its compression (amplitude and distortion) characteristics. Anyway i'd be intrested in hearing how it could sound like.

Advertisements

------------------

Composer & Sound Designer
marsdrums is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
brn20
IDMf Artist
brn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MC
London
MC Status: 73802573
Thanked 1,791 Times in 1,192 Posts
Re: Convolution EQ and Compression

Isn't this effectively what emulations of analogue EQs attempt? At least they try to mimic in code the effect a given set of circuits and electrical equipment has on a signal, which is achieved (as far as I know) by measuring things like the noise floor and phase characteristics, like you say.

------------------
brn20 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
marsdrums
marsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MC
Turin
MC Status: 13535

Yes, i guess so, but it could be intresting to apply the colouration of a certain piece of gear to another processor

------------------

Composer & Sound Designer
marsdrums is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8562280
Thanked 7,427 Times in 5,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brn20 View Post
Isn't this effectively what emulations of analogue EQs attempt? At least they try to mimic in code the effect a given set of circuits and electrical equipment has on a signal, which is achieved (as far as I know) by measuring things like the noise floor and phase characteristics, like you say.
Yea. Pretty much my understanding. Using 1s and 0s to change sounds in all the right ways. Two articles good articles I've read are the white paper on Waves Kramer Tape and the SOS article about Slate VTM. I know they aren't EQs, but it's the same principal.

Really insightful. After reading these two I understood why they have to charge so much for these VSTs. (Whether they are worth that much to most people is another issue).

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote