Kick Drum Help
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 18-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
Rdenman92
Analog Lurker
Rdenman92 will become famous soon enough
Boston
MC Status: 60
Kick Drum Help

Hey Guys,

So i have a layered kick. One that is more punchy electro house that i have cut the high end out of and then my other kick has a nice high end that i like so i cut the low end and mixed together pretty well. I was just wondering any good tips for making the kick stand out more in the mix. I'm a beginner so any help i would really appreciate!

Thanks!

Advertisements

------------------
Rdenman92 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts
Re: Kick Drum Help

Stand out more? Lower everything else, and filter out stuff in everything else that isn't needed in the low-end.
EQ (boost 50-100-ish, cut 400-ish, boost 3-5ish kHz, etc). Side-chain compression on ther overlapping sounds.
etc

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #3
DCA
Sample Destroyer
DCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2110

gain structuring is critical

get that sorted first, everything else comes after that

and like Evelon said, clean up the low end on everything else, its very very easy for that segment of the frequency spectrum to get muddy
DCA is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #4
manducator
manducator is a savage MCmanducator is a savage MCmanducator is a savage MCmanducator is a savage MCmanducator is a savage MCmanducator is a savage MCmanducator is a savage MCmanducator is a savage MCmanducator is a savage MCmanducator is a savage MCmanducator is a savage MC
MC Status: 251895

Add some distortion to the kick.
manducator is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
palmerlake
Regular Freak
palmerlake has a spectacular aura aboutpalmerlake has a spectacular aura about
South Coast
MC Status: 160

I've found when layering kicks, as well as EQ'ing, introducing 1 or 2ms of track delay on one of them will really change the overall sound. Experiment with how much track delay to use and listen for where it sounds sweetest. The idea is to not have both attack phases of the two kick drums hitting at exactly the same time. Works for me anyway Hope this helps.
palmerlake is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
Optimal Prime
Deep Underground
Optimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond repute
Greater Manchester
MC Status: 7060

What Parmerlake said actually worked for me recently when I took a processed kick I'd made and relayered it with the same kick but pitched up by an octave. I was playing about sliding the new kick slightly to the right as to delay it a little, and suddenly hit a sweet spot that gave extra punch and solidity to the whole thing which wasn't there when starting both from the same starting point.

------------------
Our newest UK DnB Mix Show hosted by Hush & Multi

Optimal Prime is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimal Prime View Post
What Parmerlake said actually worked for me recently when I took a processed kick I'd made and relayered it with the same kick but pitched up by an octave. I was playing about sliding the new kick slightly to the right as to delay it a little, and suddenly hit a sweet spot that gave extra punch and solidity to the whole thing which wasn't there when starting both from the same starting point.
Do you know WHY this is?
It has to do with phase. Look it up. That will explain everything. Having samples in phase is pretty much essential when layering.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 12:28 AM   #8
3AMN
Analog Lurker
3AMN is a jewel in the rough3AMN is a jewel in the rough3AMN is a jewel in the rough3AMN is a jewel in the rough
Hilversum
MC Status: 310

You need to have a kick that is really punchy on the highs and the lows. Also try to filter out the noise around the track that crosses with your kick there are some tools for that and some tutorials.

Here is a good kick package that is already processed: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Also this guy has a tutorial about freq that mix/hinder eachother.

Link:

Good luck.
3AMN is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #9
xmissacidx
Minor Glitch
xmissacidx is a jewel in the roughxmissacidx is a jewel in the roughxmissacidx is a jewel in the roughxmissacidx is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

i really like using drum machines.......i only have rubbish ones at the moment but i like finding the good bits on them.
xmissacidx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #10
Demephitize
Granular Poster
Demephitize will become famous soon enough
Cincinnati
MC Status: 60

You're using ableton, so if you haven't, group the tracks together (ctrl+g with both selected) after you get the parts you want from either kick. Add all effects on the group section (i.e. compressor, secondary eq if needed, reverb). I have found, though the compressor that comes with ableton is simple, it is great for getting snappy sounds. Careful with the overall volume, though. The compressor's default volume is very high, i'd take it down 1-2db after applying.

Advertisements

Demephitize is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote