The difference..
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 16-05-2014, 03:02 AM   #1
Birtan Tankir
Radial Developer
Birtan Tankir is a jewel in the roughBirtan Tankir is a jewel in the roughBirtan Tankir is a jewel in the rough
Melbourne
MC Status: 260
The difference..

I was out clubbing last night, and i was on the dance floor and i looked up at the DJ, and then i thought to myself.. if a dj was playing at a club and dropped something new, would they get a better reaction at a club? or a better reaction at an actual music festival.. In a club no one pays attention they just dance whatever, though at a festival there are waves of people who just focus on the dj and the music! Thoughts?

Advertisements

Birtan Tankir is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 03:41 AM   #2
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts
Re: The difference..

I don't go to clubs but I think I'd probably rather hear something new in a club setting as opposed to a show. Were I at say, for example / talking purposes, a live Cure show and they started playing new shit I know I'd rather hear the classics. But if I were at a club and the DJ dropped in a new song of theirs into his set that I had yet to hear I'd probably eat it up.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 04:14 AM   #3
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963583
Thanked 4,083 Times in 2,708 Posts

I'm sure I would have say, it depends. You are asking a vague question. I have been to many musical festivals and usually they consist of many different acts, newer acts, well known artists, DJ's etc. I think RFJ is right, if it is a group that is known for a certain sound people will have expectations.

Club settings probably depend upon the venue and the crowd. From my experience DJ's tend to vibe off the crowd, so if they feel a certain crowd would go for something they will play it.

If you are in a big commercial meat market club chances are the patrons are not really paying much attention to the intricacies of the music...does it boom, can I dance. LOL. When I was at a bigger club last most people were just standing around, drunk, talking to other people. A few people, myself included, tried to dance to the solid dub step but it's tough, I'm not a robot you know?

Wow, that was rambling...:/
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 08:34 AM   #4
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38897

Average person doesn't care about music, if it has a melody and a kick, it's good.

I'd imagine you'd have a larger impact in a club, if you mean festivals as the big outdoor thingies. If it's just a random club, I am sure there's no one who goes there only because of music.
I don't go to festivals else they consist of 100% "underground" music.
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 09:55 AM   #5
SandVanGlokta
Regular Freak
SandVanGlokta is a jewel in the roughSandVanGlokta is a jewel in the roughSandVanGlokta is a jewel in the roughSandVanGlokta is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

To different people every tune will be new, pretty boring club if a new tune stands out that much.
SandVanGlokta is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 01:54 PM   #6
Birtan Tankir
Radial Developer
Birtan Tankir is a jewel in the roughBirtan Tankir is a jewel in the roughBirtan Tankir is a jewel in the rough
Melbourne
MC Status: 260

Interesting answers!
Birtan Tankir is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 02:09 PM   #7
SandVanGlokta
Regular Freak
SandVanGlokta is a jewel in the roughSandVanGlokta is a jewel in the roughSandVanGlokta is a jewel in the roughSandVanGlokta is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mctoast View Post
Average person doesn't care about music, if it has a melody and a kick, it's good.

Aint that the truth. The same people that wear Dr Dre Beats and fill in their favourite music as "I like anything with a good beat.." bloody rotters [ /snobbery ]
SandVanGlokta is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #8
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birtan Tankir View Post
I was out clubbing last night, and i was on the dance floor and i looked up at the DJ, and then i thought to myself.. if a dj was playing at a club and dropped something new, would they get a better reaction at a club?
There's so many songs out there that if I hear something at a club I've never heard before - I've got no idea whether it's a new tune or an old tune I'm hearing for the first time. Doesn't matter at all to me really - I'm there to have a good time & dance & chat & shit. If it's live bands or things like that then yeah it's probably a bit different.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 12:15 PM   #9
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7237429

Neither. People hate anything that they haven't heard 25 times already, unless it's practically identical to something that they have heard 25 times.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 02:47 AM   #10
twilitez
twilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9060

Generally speaking, keeping tabs on labels and releases is something dj's should do but the average partygoer probably wont, or at least not to the same extent. If you know youve got a somewhat 'learned' crowd i wouldnt play all of last years famous hits (in whatever genre applies) but i dont think theres ever a need to go OCD on this weeks releases.

------------------
twilitez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 02:51 AM   #11
twilitez
twilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9060

And that said, quality and good vibes are either there, or theyre not. I understand this whole 'top 10' every month tradition cause i guess it shows your in there doing your thing, keeping up, but sometimes a month passes with 15 terrific tunes, sometimes with 2, and thats what it is.

------------------
twilitez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 04:38 PM   #12
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45944181
Thanked 5,720 Times in 3,600 Posts

Was it 9 dollar beer night? Hate those.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 06:19 PM   #13
arm23
Soundwave Mangler
arm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 710

I do not go to clubs wery often. But I think that it does not matter where you hear that new shit. If it is good, than you will like it anyways, does not matter if it is a club or festival or some other thing. If you like it you will hear it.

Advertisements

------------------
Here is the track
arm23 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote