Difference Between Vocoders/Kid A
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:32 AM   #1
Knucklebucket
Learning The Ropes
Knucklebucket is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Difference Between Vocoders/Kid A

Hey, new to this thread first post. I hope this is a cool and knowledgeable community, and that I can gain from it.

So I'm trying to find ways to make the human voice sound 'alien' to the listener, but to keep it melodic and listenable.

I'm wondering if people feel vocoders are different? Like do different vocoders sound different?
One of my favorite examples of vocoding is in Radiohead's song Kid A. I read in an interview that it's Thom Yorke's voice vocoded through an ondes martenot. Unfortunately I don't have an ondes martenot. How might I replicate this sound? Whenever I try using the native vocoder in FL Studio, it ends up coming out all 80's P-Funk instead of clear, like Kid A.

Anybody have any tips/advice/input?

Advertisements

Knucklebucket is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:09 AM   #2
redeyeglasses
Ghostly
redeyeglasses is a savage MCredeyeglasses is a savage MCredeyeglasses is a savage MCredeyeglasses is a savage MCredeyeglasses is a savage MCredeyeglasses is a savage MCredeyeglasses is a savage MCredeyeglasses is a savage MCredeyeglasses is a savage MCredeyeglasses is a savage MCredeyeglasses is a savage MC
Iowa
MC Status: 12331
Re: Difference Between Vocoders/Kid A

I've never heard the thing about the vocoding, but assuming it's true, try a high pitched sine or a saw with portamento. Those are the only two options on an ondes martenot. You could also try putting the synth through an amp simulator and/or some effects first.

Edit: Does the fruity vocoder let you mess around with the number of bands and shit? If it does, mess around with that, if not maybe try another vocoder. You'll have to get recommendations from somebody else.

Last edited by redeyeglasses; 03-11-2012 at 04:13 AM..
redeyeglasses is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:18 AM   #3
Br/ainfu+ked
Savage Mad Cunt
Br/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MC
blah
MC Status: 45963548
Thanked 1,154 Times in 888 Posts

are you using fl's vocodex?

try split band freq using sends and apple different vocoder settings

or this
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Last edited by Br/ainfu+ked; 03-11-2012 at 04:22 AM..

------------------
Br/ainfu+ked is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7237429

Many vocoders do sound different, but some more modern digital ones can emulate a lot of more basic models. FL's Vocodex is really quite versatile.

Advertisements

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote