The ultimate IDMf Community project? - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Community Projects IDMf member-led projects and collaboration.

View Poll Results: Add "hype" section for members personal projects etc
yes 30 81.08%
no 7 18.92%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 21-06-2014, 04:39 PM   #121
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744043391
Thanked 7,519 Times in 4,650 Posts
Re: The ultimate IDMf Community project?

You know I'd even be ok with people buying a contributor badge just to get access to this section tbh.

Advertisements

lolirl is offline   Thanks
Old 21-06-2014, 04:58 PM   #122
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
You know I'd even be ok with people buying a contributor badge just to get access to this section tbh.

tbh, i'm also cool with that to a degree. i would say that supporters should be allowed to post in there, it's a good reward for supporting alongside the other stuff too.

The other side of that is, i also like your badge idea. again, it helps with the post count thing etc because if you're not an artist/supprter/mod then you have to be a veteran which means you've earned your stripes here i guess

so, my feeling is the badged users only get to make threads there rather than any specific post count etc etc
  Thanks
Old 21-06-2014, 05:06 PM   #123
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744043391
Thanked 7,519 Times in 4,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
tbh, i'm also cool with that to a degree. i would say that supporters should be allowed to post in there, it's a good reward for supporting alongside the other stuff too.
Yeah, even looking at it as a straight advertising fee I have no issue tbh.
If we're going to allow other people to use us to benefit themselves why shouldn't they contribute in some way? If they haven't given any useful info to the community the least they can do is help towards the cost of the place and label.
lolirl is offline   Thanks
Old 21-06-2014, 10:14 PM   #124
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
fuck you!
MC Status: 329126900
Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,193 Posts

Quote:

The other side of that is, i also like your badge idea. again, it helps with the post count thing etc because if you're not an artist/supprter/mod then you have to be a veteran which means you've earned your stripes here i guess

so, my feeling is the badged users only get to make threads there rather than any specific post count etc etc
Yeah i can dig that!those of us with badges have earned them.so im cool with that as well.
Dammit if i could only complete my album
but life stuff...meh.
Rixtr is offline   Thanks
Old 21-06-2014, 10:34 PM   #125
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts

What if you had a badge, it could even be temporary, for people heading up a project. Just something as a an incentive to do the extra work of seeing something through and getting people to participate. Just had this pop in my head after all the talk about badges. Maybe this would encourage more participation? Just an idea.

Also the badge, seen around the forum, might encourage people to check out the section more?
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Muse-ic
Parricide (22-06-2014)
Old 22-06-2014, 02:27 AM   #126
Sincock
Master of the LFO
Sincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 23251782

I know I haven't been around here much lately but I'll put my two cents in anyway, (take it as an outsider's perspective if you will); if this is supposed to be something to encourage and further the "community" then making it so exclusionary somewhat defeats the purpose. There should be more of a balance between the two extremes of discouraging the spamtards (good) and contributing to the, already, cliquey nature of this site (not so good).

A post limit isn't a bad idea and allowing badged members to use it should probably go without saying. To me it seems like the sort of thing that really needs to be properly monitored to avoid misuse, maybe every new thread should have admin or mod approval first.

------------------
Sincock is offline   Thanks
Old 22-06-2014, 08:02 AM   #127
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincock View Post
I know I haven't been around here much lately but I'll put my two cents in anyway, (take it as an outsider's perspective if you will); if this is supposed to be something to encourage and further the "community" then making it so exclusionary somewhat defeats the purpose. There should be more of a balance between the two extremes of discouraging the spamtards (good) and contributing to the, already, cliquey nature of this site (not so good).

A post limit isn't a bad idea and allowing badged members to use it should probably go without saying. To me it seems like the sort of thing that really needs to be properly monitored to avoid misuse, maybe every new thread should have admin or mod approval first.

I'm going to explain why this thought of needing mod approval first is a bad one (not just for you, it's been brought up a couple of times)

Us mods/admins have a life outside of the forums, and what we do on here a lot of goes unnoticed (spam removal and dealing with users directly). The work we all put in here is totally voluntary an at times can be quite a fair bit of work too.
Now, say this new section takes off rather well, and like the listening booth you get 30-40+ new threads a day. Do you honestly expect someone to sit there everyday trawling through every new thread just to give it a yay or nay? personally i really cannot be bothered and tbh won't be doing such a thing because it's a total pain in the arse and in fairness, would you do that on a permanent never ending basis? i doubt it, i doubt anyone would AND keep it up each day.

So lets stop thinking that piling a shit ton of work onto volunteers is a good one, when there's better solutions, and just abandon that now

and from what i've read in this thread, the hype section isn't about encouraging the community directly, it's about giving it a place to put it's spam without it getting removed with bias, the community projects section itself is the area we're trying to encourage further community involvement with IDMf based projects for the IDMf community. whilst that's exclusionary to a degree, it's certainly not exclusionary to a single IDMf member, and in my eyes is actually a benefit to anyone who joins this forum as they can jump in there and immediately (noob or not) get involved with the "community"
  Thanks
Old 22-06-2014, 09:55 AM   #128
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
fuck you!
MC Status: 329126900
Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,193 Posts

Quote:
I'm going to explain why this thought of needing mod approval first is a bad one (not just for you, it's been brought up a couple of times)

Us mods/admins have a life outside of the forums, and what we do on here a lot of goes unnoticed (spam removal and dealing with users directly). The work we all put in here is totally voluntary an at times can be quite a fair bit of work too.
Now, say this new section takes off rather well, and like the listening booth you get 30-40+ new threads a day. Do you honestly expect someone to sit there everyday trawling through every new thread just to give it a yay or nay? personally i really cannot be bothered and tbh won't be doing such a thing because it's a total pain in the arse and in fairness, would you do that on a permanent never ending basis? i doubt it, i doubt anyone would AND keep it up each day.

So lets stop thinking that piling a shit ton of work onto volunteers is a good one, when there's better solutions, and just abandon that now

and from what i've read in this thread, the hype section isn't about encouraging the community directly, it's about giving it a place to put it's spam without it getting removed with bias, the community projects section itself is the area we're trying to encourage further community involvement with IDMf based projects for the IDMf community. whilst that's exclusionary to a degree, it's certainly not exclusionary to a single IDMf member, and in my eyes is actually a benefit to anyone who joins this forum as they can jump in there and immediately (noob or not) get involved with the "community"
Very well put!i hope you did not take my ideas on this subject adversely.i only wish to convey ideas that may benefit the community.that being said i will shut up now.:victory:
Rixtr is offline   Thanks
Old 22-06-2014, 10:12 AM   #129
Sammysong
Master of the LFO
Sammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MC
Bat Country
MC Status: 4046847

A staff application method/page, for those interested to apply to help out as say, a writer of reviews; writing up a catalog of releases in the listening booth; or say, an administrator (trained in different computer languages, as a hobby) wanting to code new portals for the community, etc?

It remains their choice to apply or not.
Sammysong is offline   Thanks
Old 22-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #130
Sincock
Master of the LFO
Sincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 23251782

Quote:

Sounds fair enough: and you're right I wouldn't want to do that every day at all.

Carry on.

------------------
Sincock is offline   Thanks
Old 22-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #131
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59510
Thanked 1,190 Times in 791 Posts

Not sure if this is off topic but how about something like a remix section where people can post tracks of their own (including stems) that others may remix. Could give people the option whether they want to use some kind of CC license so it wouldn't be a total free for all. I think this would also be a nice opportunity for people to learn from each other and it would give newbies an opportunity to remix some tracks as practice. Maybe even remix album releases with a compilation of the best remixes of IDMf members' tracks?

I also like the "hype" section idea but haven't read through all of the suggestions in this thread yet so I can't really comment on the details at this point (will read through this thread sometime soon).

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks
Old 22-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #132
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18029969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse-ic View Post
What if you had a badge, it could even be temporary, for people heading up a project. Just something as a an incentive to do the extra work of seeing something through and getting people to participate. Just had this pop in my head after all the talk about badges. Maybe this would encourage more participation? Just an idea.

Also the badge, seen around the forum, might encourage people to check out the section more?
thats a good idea. then clicking the badge could take you directly to the project, if thats possible. if its not possible then a link could go in the sig at least.

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is online now   Thanks
Old 22-06-2014, 02:40 PM   #133
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
thats a good idea. then clicking the badge could take you directly to the project, if thats possible. if its not possible then a link could go in the sig at least.
Clicking badges isn't available I'm afraid. vBulletin restrictions again...

On another note, how would someone qualify for that badge in the first place? I'd suggest that some kind of sig banner would be better if someone was heading up a project.

It's a hard one, as whilst there has to be obvious restrictions on who can start threads, it also has to be as inclusive as possible for everyone.

Lolirls idea of purely badged users still seems the best to me, and if you want to promo your shit and have no badge then is it so bad to have to become a supporter?
The only hard part of that is that the supporters badge really should expire on a yearly basis IMO as you're not really doing anything supporter wise 7 years down the line and only having thrown $10 to the forum that length of time ago
  Thanks
Old 22-06-2014, 02:41 PM   #134
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC

Quote:

i see what youre saying and i agree to a point, but i dont think it will be as active as the LB. almost every member here makes music, which means they are very likely to put their music up for suggestions, help e.t.c. but not as many members are going to run projects of some sort, or even be supporting an outside project.

if you combine the badge/post count idea along with the approval method, then you will knock that number down even more.
maybe 300 (as i said) posts is a bit high. after reading what you wrote about encouraging newcomers, i have to agree with you, but i still think there should be something to stop people coming and posting spam, then disappearing again, which people will do on a high rated forum like this one.

all that being said, even 30-40 posts a day cant be too much for the mods to get through can it? how many mods are there? i know im on here at least once a day, sometimes more (sad i know), and if there are only 3-4 mods on here each day, then theyve only got to go through ~10-15 each max, which cant take that long surely? and thats assuming the section actually does get as many posts as the LB, which i think is unlikely, unless you make it easy for people to sign up, post in there, then disappear.

one other note. perhaps a small post count (like 20 or something), should be the minimum for even accessing the area. that would stop people signing up solely for that purpose, but still not the people who are willing to post one word replies to get that count up.

------------------
signature loading...
Old 22-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #135
Parricide

Quote:
Clicking badges isn't available I'm afraid. vBulletin restrictions again...

On another note, how would someone qualify for that badge in the first place? I'd suggest that some kind of sig banner would be better if someone was heading up a project.

It's a hard one, as whilst there has to be obvious restrictions on who can start threads, it also has to be as inclusive as possible for everyone.

Lolirls idea of purely badged users still seems the best to me, and if you want to promo your shit and have no badge then is it so bad to have to become a supporter?
The only hard part of that is that the supporters badge really should expire on a yearly basis IMO as you're not really doing anything supporter wise 7 years down the line and only having thrown $10 to the forum that length of time ago
yea i see what youre saying with that.
thats still cheap advertisement too and it would give the forum more support

------------------
signature loading...
Old 22-06-2014, 02:46 PM   #136
Parricide

would you want to encourage people to come here, buy a badge, advertise, then never be seen again?
because people like me (and plenty of others here) would be happy to push it around the internet to help get the forum more support

------------------
signature loading...
Old 22-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #137
Benwaa

Quote:
would you want to encourage people to come here, buy a badge, advertise, then never be seen again?
because people like me (and plenty of others here) would be happy to push it around the internet to help get the forum more support
Well my own perspective is yes, I would be happy with that. Ultimately we're talking about threads here, so if a thread isn't maintained by the OP then it'll more often than not sink to the bottom never to be seen again. If someone wants to contribute to do that then I don't have an issue with it.

Not to be the negative Nancy here btw, not enough people on here push the stuff around the internet as it is, as an example how many people do you see posting a new netlabel release when there is one, so I can't really see that working out too well if we rely on that alone
  Thanks
Old 22-06-2014, 03:00 PM   #138
Parricide

Quote:
Well my own perspective is yes, I would be happy with that. Ultimately we're talking about threads here, so if a thread isn't maintained by the OP then it'll more often than not sink to the bottom never to be seen again. If someone wants to contribute to do that then I don't have an issue with it.

Not to be the negative Nancy here btw, not enough people on here push the stuff around the internet as it is, as an example how many people do you see posting a new netlabel release when there is one, so I can't really see that working out too well if we rely on that alone
agreed and agreed.
and maybe people like oatbag can request a veterans badge if they wanted to post in there but couldnt afford to buy a badge.

------------------
signature loading...
Thanks to Parricide
Old 22-06-2014, 03:13 PM   #139
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/»»»»»\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
agreed and agreed.
and maybe people like oatbag can request a veterans badge if they wanted to post in there but couldnt afford to buy a badge.
We could also just use that stupid Bastard tag for something useful - rename it & give it out to people on a request basis. I haven't really spent much time thinking about these restrictions tho tbh.
scyn is offline   Thanks
Old 22-06-2014, 03:34 PM   #140
Parricide

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyn View Post
We could also just use that stupid Bastard tag for something useful - rename it & give it out to people on a request basis. I haven't really spent much time thinking about these restrictions tho tbh.
or just have a post count to get the badge, like 3,000 or so, or maybe an amount of time to have been using the forum combined with a post count

Advertisements

------------------
signature loading...
Closed Thread