The ultimate IDMf Community project? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Community Projects IDMf member-led projects and collaboration.

View Poll Results: Add "hype" section for members personal projects etc
yes 30 81.08%
no 7 18.92%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 11-06-2014, 03:07 PM   #41
Benwaa
Re: The ultimate IDMf Community project?

here's my thoughts. Now ignore the admin tag please, i really don't want that to be an influence of how my words are taken whatsoever.

with respect the AEP project doesn't come under the heading of a community project in my personal definition of what that is. Yes it's started by people from the community and involves people from the community, but as RFJ said it's not an IDMf project essentially. Stuff like that should go in members releases in my personal opinion. now that's not a feeling solely for AE btw, it's about any label or project that is an outside project just looking to bump their shit by using IDMf as a spring board without necessarily doing it for the benefit of the community directly and preferably solely.
Now, i'm completely in favour of supporting any such project here on the forum, i don't think the community projects area is the right one for it though, doing so allows the gates to be opened to any project of a similar nature - an example would be (one i used in the mod room) that i do a radio show, and in a similar vein i want the forum members to support my project, and send me music so in return i can give them some exposure. Now in my own personal ideas on stuff i would never qualify that as a community project even though it benefits the IDMf community, why? because it's my thing that really has fuck all to do with IDMf other than i use IDMf as a promo tool for it and also benefit from some music i get sent. Who wins? just me and my radio show really, and potentially some people who get their tunes played by me. but y'know in that respect i'm doin no different to a label, putting an appeal out for contributions and then exposing it to a wider audience.

don't take that as why can't i do ta and they can btw. i know where to put my radio show thread

now none of that is AE specific so please lets keep it separate when talking about that, yes AE in this context certainly comes under what my own feelings are but i should stress isn't about AE alone, it's about the bigger picture.
I certainly don't want this discussion to become AE focused as opposed to what the OP is about initially. - asking us all and working together to ensure we have the best experience we can make between us for (eventually) ever section

So rules/guidelines wise - do we allow external labels run by any IDMf members to use the community projects area? if not,, then where should they go? if we allow one IMO then we have to allow all. there has to be a black an white about this. no grey area.

It seems so far a few people agree that a fairly high post count is needed to be able to post in there, but i tend to lean towards lolirl's feelings on this right now, that anyone should be able to start a project - with approval only to stop stupidity and BS being posted in the community projects area.

My personal idea of what the community projects area should be for is stuff like the white noise comp, MAWM and so on - something that seems to be the universal feeling here. stuff that's started within IDMF's community with the sole aim of providing the IDMf community with an IDMf made project.

Advertisements

Thanks
Old 11-06-2014, 03:08 PM   #42
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlantis View Post
If I put stems for one of my releases up and ask people to remix them without a super strict deadline, and privately ask a few others outside of IDMf, with plans on collecting the ones I like and releasing them, does that count as a community project or better posted in the LB? I've been thinking about doing this fairly soon....

in my eyes, that's your project, not an idmf one as it's not done with the intention of benefiting the community other than through your own good will to get more numbers for your comp by asking a place you have a following to help you out. is it a community project if you post it on facebook the same way via your page?

so yeah, what lug said
  Thanks
Thanks to Benwaa
Vlantis (11-06-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 03:20 PM   #43
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744043391
Thanked 7,519 Times in 4,650 Posts

So maybe we need a member's projects area then?
Seems simple enough.

All members with over 2000(?) posts or IDMf artist badge can start threads in there.
Everyone else get's their thread automatically reported to the mods area for discussion and approval.
Something like that?
lolirl is offline   Thanks
Old 11-06-2014, 03:23 PM   #44
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80996130
Thanked 4,118 Times in 2,673 Posts

Makes sense to me for AEP stuff to be posted in Member Releases. The same way IDMf netlabel releases are announced in the idmf label subforum : "open to submissions", "out now" and "announcing" tags. We just need to make it clear that section can be used both to announce releases and discuss future releases
Lug is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Lug
Old 11-06-2014, 03:27 PM   #45
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Seems simple enough.

All members with over 2000(?) posts or IDMf artist badge can start threads in there.
Everyone else get's their thread automatically reported to the mods area for discussion and approval.
Something like that?

i'm down with that. members releases (as mentioned by someone else and as such not my idea) should be for releases only, so (as the same person mentioned) then perhaps those projects go in that as yet to be made section, and the resulting release goes in members releases.
  Thanks
Thanks to Benwaa
scyn (11-06-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 03:28 PM   #46
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post
Makes sense to me for AEP stuff to be posted in Member Releases. The same way IDMf netlabel releases are announced in the idmf label subforum : "open to submissions", "out now" and "announcing" tags. We just need to make it clear that section can be used both to announce releases and discuss future releases
If a member has a release on AE - then they're free to post it in Members Releases just like they are for a release on any other label.
Quote:
Seems simple enough.
Would you be keen on something like AE existing there, maybe for a leg-up period of 6 months or something like that, after which we can review their being supported by the forum further?
scyn is offline   Thanks
Old 11-06-2014, 03:28 PM   #47
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC

Quote:
Haha, seems we're gradually coming back around to my idea of a "Hype" area.
Basically a spam area for people we like.
Thanks to lolirl
Old 11-06-2014, 03:31 PM   #48
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts

Why not have community projects mean just that, community projects not solely defined by just idmf? Maybe to monitor it in the future and see how it goes. In reality it's a section new members don't really go to. So I don't understand all the hype to make it something else. Anyway. No big deal I guess. I can see this section as being an umbrella for all these things we have been discussing.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks
Old 11-06-2014, 03:32 PM   #49
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyn View Post
If a member has a release on AE - then they're free to post it in Members Releases just like they are for a release on any other label.
Would you be keen on something like AE existing there, maybe for a leg-up period of 6 months or something like that, after which we can review their being supported by the forum further?

i'd been keen on any project like AE in there, what i wouldn't want to see is just one or two members stuff only in there and nothing else. hopefully users would see the benefit of it though and it wouldn't be, tbh i'd be down with renaming the parties events radio shows section to include such stuff as it's a similar thing to what you call a "hype" area and tbh it's also not that active an area at all - i think it's only really me and one or two others who actually make new threads/posts there regularly
  Thanks
Old 11-06-2014, 03:33 PM   #50
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse-ic View Post
Why not have community projects mean just that, community projects not solely defined by just idmf? Maybe to monitor it in the future and see how it goes. In reality it's a section new members don't really go to. So I don't understand all the hype to make it something else. Anyway. No big deal I guess. I can see this section as being an umbrella for all these things we have been discussing.
I think the feeling was that if all of these tools are clearly defined, the community could actually use them and understand all the activity that's encouraged inside the community

Quote:
Haha, seems we're gradually coming back around to my idea of a "Hype" area.
Basically a spam area for people we like.
Deal. "Hype Area"
Lug is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Lug
lolirl (11-06-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 03:35 PM   #51
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse-ic View Post

for me i find it confusing as to what is actually a community project in that respect. being on IDMf and it's a community i would assume first off if i were a noob here that anything in that community section is officially an IDMf community project, you know i'd even talk to someone about it in the context of "hey over on IDMf there's this awesome project they're doing..." and as such not only does it confuse the fuck out of people, it could also potentially detract from a non IDMf projects own identity and actually stifle it blossoming into it's own thing as i'd assume an external project sets out to do
  Thanks
Thanks to Benwaa
lolirl (11-06-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 03:39 PM   #52
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
i'd been keen on any project like AE in there, what i wouldn't want to see is just one or two members stuff only in there and nothing else.
If you're worried about it looking like a ghost town in there - I agree. That's why I thought of having those projects in their own area in Community Projects...when we've got 3 or more active areas they can be shifted into their own new place. Although tbh - the AE threads are very active - so that might be a nice way to kick off such a new area.

If people want their own section for a project that benefits the community (like AE) - they can submit a proposal for their idea which we can either approve / deny. If approved they get a 6 month trial period and if at any time they drift too far from involving IDMf member - then we cancel their contract. And it should be made clear that they aren't official IDMf projects, but rather projects supported by IDMf. #IDMfkickstarter.
scyn is offline   Thanks
Old 11-06-2014, 03:41 PM   #53
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC

Quote:
I think the feeling was that if all of these tools are clearly defined, the community could actually use them and understand all the activity that's encouraged inside the community

Deal. "Hype Area"
Yeah. I think it would be great to encourage more activity. I personally love Album Writing Month. It has been fun because most people who participate are long term members and everyone takes time to comment on tracks. Would opening this up make it spam like, more like the listening booth?
Thanks to Muse-ic
lolirl (11-06-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 03:42 PM   #54
Benwaa

we'll leave that idea about the hype section 24 hours for more discussion then, and then start a poll on that aspect?
  Thanks
Thanks to Benwaa
relic (11-06-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 03:47 PM   #55
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
members releases... should be for releases only
Amen
I don't really like the idea of having multiple threads for different stages of a project in different subforums tbh, just seems clumsy and too much of a faff imo. Keep all related info in one thread wherever possible.

Quote:
Of course, no issues with that whatsoever.

Quote:
I don't know tbh. On the one hand I want to say they can and should have unlimited/ongoing support here but then on the other hand I can see why some people might think that they should really get out there and make their own audience/community to rely on instead of using IDMf's. (please don't take that the wrong way AE dudes, you're doing some good work )

Also, there's absolutely nothing stopping IDMf from starting a project of it's own, basically doing what AE does but "officially" from inside the community if we want to.

TBH, it's starting to sound a bit like we're not sure what we're asking or why and perhaps we're looking to shut the gate after the horse has bolted if you see what I mean?

What are we trying to achieve?
What are the current issues?
What needs changing?
Why does it need changing?

If it's just a wording issue then just drop the "IDMf" off the sub-forum title and leave it to run as it is at the moment.
Thanks to lolirl
Jaded (11-06-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 03:48 PM   #56
Lug
Soxdix

That's cool. I think stuff like the Beat Battles died because there wasn't a place dedicated to this kind of community thing and the group thing was hidden too much. So, yeah, actually using the Community Projects area could be great.

Quote:
we'll leave that idea about the hype section 24 hours for more discussion then, and then start a poll on that aspect?
It will be named "The Hype Area" though, right ?
Lug is offline   Thanks
Old 11-06-2014, 03:49 PM   #57
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564530
Thanked 7,472 Times in 5,276 Posts

Quote:
I kept trying to type out a detail response, but I will just say that sounds like a winner. Though can we please not call it "Hype Area" lol

But seriously sounds good. I'm really not seeing a problem with anything that has been suggested. Really being able to post a a project on IDMf and ask for support is being able to post a project on IDMf and ask for support, whatever section it ends up in.

EDIT: Also, absolutely no offense taken at any point in regards to AEP being used as an example. It's the perfect one for this discussion.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks
Old 11-06-2014, 03:50 PM   #58
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199648418
Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,204 Posts

Quote:
If you're worried about it looking like a ghost town in there - I agree. That's why I thought of having those projects in their own area in Community Projects...when we've got 3 or more active areas they can be shifted into their own new place. Although tbh - the AE threads are very active - so that might be a nice way to kick off such a new area.

If people want their own section for a project that benefits the community (like AE) - they can submit a proposal for their idea which we can either approve / deny. If approved they get a 6 month trial period and if at any time they drift too far from involving IDMf member - then we cancel their contract. And it should be made clear that they aren't official IDMf projects, but rather projects supported by IDMf. #IDMfkickstarter.
I like the idea of a Members Projects area, or hype area as it were. I also like this idea of an area within the community center for community related outside projects that involve IDMf members.

What would constitute getting your contract cancelled though? I'd like some clarification on that if you don't mind. I mean I understand "drifting too far from involving IDMf members" but you'd have to make some black / white guidelines for that too so if a particular project wishes to not have their contra t cancelled they can make damn sure they stay well within said black / white guidelines.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks
Thanks to RFJ
Muse-ic (11-06-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 03:51 PM   #59
Benwaa

Quote:

What are we trying to achieve?
What are the current issues?
What needs changing?
Why does it need changing?

- discuss as a cummunity and decide how the forum should be and what goes where with what restrictions (if any) starting with community projects and working from there one section at a time

- some sections are confusing as hell to know where to put stuff, hell after 7/8 years on here i stll get stuck on the rare occasion. Whilst the forum is laid out pretty well, and isn't really broken it could work better for more of us in terms of what we come here for and it'd be good to finally once and for all try to get that down

- the definitions of what each section is for and what's the requirement for posting in there, it all needs clearing up

- reasons above mainly, and as said, i feel things could be a lot more clear on the boards for users overall

Thanks
Old 11-06-2014, 03:52 PM   #60
Muse-ic
Wanderer

Quote:
for me i find it confusing as to what is actually a community project in that respect. being on IDMf and it's a community i would assume first off if i were a noob here that anything in that community section is officially an IDMf community project, you know i'd even talk to someone about it in the context of "hey over on IDMf there's this awesome project they're doing..." and as such not only does it confuse the fuck out of people, it could also potentially detract from a non IDMf projects own identity and actually stifle it blossoming into it's own thing as i'd assume an external project sets out to do
I see, so you want the community section to be more clearly defined as an IDMF product? If this is the case I think it should be modeled as A IDMF community projects section and then a members projects section then. I don't think members release is an appropriate place for AEP, which is a community project. So perhaps having another section.

I do think it will make the community section a less used place unless there are some official projects started by mods with the promise of an official release or something like that.

Advertisements

Thanks to Muse-ic
lolirl (11-06-2014)
Closed Thread