"Rent-To-Own" Serum - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 23-06-2017, 01:22 AM   #21
Khasai
Regular Freak
Khasai is a splendid one to beholdKhasai is a splendid one to beholdKhasai is a splendid one to beholdKhasai is a splendid one to beholdKhasai is a splendid one to beholdKhasai is a splendid one to beholdKhasai is a splendid one to behold
Daly City
MC Status: 710
Re: "Rent-To-Own" Serum

I'm pretty new to music production and synths in general but I saw this deal advertised and decided to try it out. It has been pretty sick to play around with Serum since it is a very meaty synth. That said, I'm glad I spent time learning what I was doing on some simpler synths first since there are a lot more options and settings to get lost in.

Being able to cancel the subscription and pick it up again where you left off at any time is huge. I had just canceled my STARZ subscription since American Gods ended, so I put that money into Serum. Now if something comes up and I'd rather spend money on that I can just put Serum on hold.

Advertisements

Khasai is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Khasai
A.M (23-06-2017)
Old 23-06-2017, 11:15 AM   #22
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 184660
Thanked 3,693 Times in 2,753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khasai View Post
I'm pretty new to music production and synths in general but I saw this deal advertised and decided to try it out. It has been pretty sick to play around with Serum since it is a very meaty synth. That said, I'm glad I spent time learning what I was doing on some simpler synths first since there are a lot more options and settings to get lost in.

Being able to cancel the subscription and pick it up again where you left off at any time is huge. I had just canceled my STARZ subscription since American Gods ended, so I put that money into Serum. Now if something comes up and I'd rather spend money on that I can just put Serum on hold.

I love it..though it's got a pretty distinctive sound "out of the box" that might appeal more to those into Dance music in general, but if you spend a little time learning how to use it, then you soon realize just what a beast this thing really is and how much control it gives you over the resulting end sound you make.

I've found it surprisingly good at making ambient stuff, too, which I originally thought might be a little hard to do, but it's actually pretty much a blank musical canvas when you fire it up. I just hope folks realize this and aren't put off by the Dance-ish sound most seem to associate with it.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 11:27 AM   #23
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 52460
Thanked 1,049 Times in 774 Posts

I thought Serum to be a really great beginner synth. The visual aids around envelopes and LFOs, as well as filters is really neat, as you can see what you're doing. It's got a really well thought out GUI. The FX are VERY useable and you can even upload your own waveforms/wavetables.

It does give you a very nice analog sound, too, if you stick to basic waveforms. The filter resonance sounds really nice. Maybe not Diva or Monark nice, but it'll do. Also, lots of filter types to chose from.

Btw, xfer makes a wonderful little doohickey called LFOtool. It's the LFO and filter from Serum. It sends MIDI, too. Makes for an EXCELLENT trance gate.

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to liquid_air
A.M (23-06-2017)