How Many Breaks Do You Use?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Breakcore / Breakbeat / Drum & Bass Discussion of music similar to Noisia, Amon Tobin, Venetian Snares, Prodigy.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
Scrittah
Soundscaper
Scrittah is a savage MCScrittah is a savage MCScrittah is a savage MCScrittah is a savage MCScrittah is a savage MCScrittah is a savage MCScrittah is a savage MCScrittah is a savage MCScrittah is a savage MCScrittah is a savage MCScrittah is a savage MC
New Hampshire
MC Status: 515244
How Many Breaks Do You Use?

Per song. Obviously, if you use single samples or make your own, this doesn't really apply to you. I've started experimenting with breakcore semi-seriously recently, and I'm interested to hear how many breaks some more experienced artists use in a single song. I know it's easy enough to make a song with nothing but the Amen, but nonetheless I'd like some opinions. The track I just finished up had six breaks in it and it didn't feel too cluttered, but it probably could've used more variation...

(Sorry if this has been talked to death already!)

Advertisements

------------------
Scrittah is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
ckiiln
Digital Surfer
ckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MC
MC Status: 47379586
Re: How Many Breaks Do You Use?

The best track I've made in that vein used two chopped and one programmed break. That was what the track needed, so it was nothing more or nothing less.
ckiiln is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
Br/ainfu+ked
Savage Mad Cunt
Br/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MC
blah
MC Status: 45963298
Thanked 1,149 Times in 884 Posts

depends on the track's context..
tbh there is no set number of, although variance in sound does make things really interesting, as long as everything compliments each other and works within the context....tl;dr

it boils down to personal taste/standards
as for me, I personally like breakcore tracks that aren't minimal in their drum sounds

------------------
Br/ainfu+ked is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
Fear
Knob Twiddler
Fear is a glorious beacon of lightFear is a glorious beacon of lightFear is a glorious beacon of lightFear is a glorious beacon of lightFear is a glorious beacon of light
San Francisco
MC Status: 460

Breakcore needs variance to make a real impression on me. Either in melody and noises, or drums, or both. But that's just me.
Fear is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
Adaxial Studios
Learning The Ropes
Adaxial Studios is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Try to use from 1 to 3 breaks. Do not use like 20 breaks and spoil the tune. Have you ever heard of Nebula? Friend of mine and probably one of the biggest producers ever. Listen to some of his stuff: South London Nights, Distant Shores, Rare Delight or whatever you type in you'll get it right. He usually uses 1-2 breaks in each of his tunes. Variate with distorsion, reverb, break and pitch of the break you're using. Reason is the best program to do so (and yes...Nebula's using it.). I use Ableton but all of my breaks I make and chop and variate with in Reason.

Have fun making the tunes!
Alen.

Last edited by NeuralPunk; 19-07-2012 at 06:59 PM..
Adaxial Studios is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Nucleus & Paradox - Illuminism
Old 19-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
NeuralPunk
Old skool lurka
NeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MC
Ruins of a fallen empire.
MC Status: 231093978

As many as I need.

------------------
NeuralPunk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
NeuralPunk
Old skool lurka
NeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MC
Ruins of a fallen empire.
MC Status: 231093978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaxial Studios View Post
Nebula? probably one of the biggest producers ever.
To be fair I know loads of guys in the D'n'B scene who are bigger. And what has being fat got to do with the thread anyway?

------------------
NeuralPunk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
lungbutter13
Minor Glitch
lungbutter13 is currently spamming hard

i can use massive amounts of breaks for certain styles of tracks,like thirty or more,some my own some sampled,i love using this many kits to create my own kinda scatty snare effect.i cant post links right now but if you type in lungbutter - nigro into youtube,you can see a track running in renoise where i have used a ton of breaks.Venetian Snares and Blaerg use this technique aswell.

------------------
lungbutter13 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #9
DIrtySinatra
Granular Poster
DIrtySinatra has a spectacular aura aboutDIrtySinatra has a spectacular aura about
Portlaoise
MC Status: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungbutter13 View Post
i can use massive amounts of breaks for certain styles of tracks,like thirty or more,some my own some sampled,i love using this many kits to create my own kinda scatty snare effect.i cant post links right now but if you type in lungbutter - nigro into youtube,you can see a track running in renoise where i have used a ton of breaks.Venetian Snares and Blaerg use this technique aswell.
Mate!! Love it!! Whats the platform?
DIrtySinatra is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #10
lungbutter13
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIrtySinatra View Post
Mate!! Love it!! Whats the platform?
Renoise mofo,what else??Nothing comes within an asses roar for complex rythmic programming and unique sample manipulation.

------------------
Old 12-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #11
DIrtySinatra
Granular Poster
DIrtySinatra has a spectacular aura aboutDIrtySinatra has a spectacular aura about
Portlaoise
MC Status: 160

Quote:
Renoise mofo,what else??Nothing comes within an asses roar for complex rythmic programming and unique sample manipulation.
Ive used just about everything but never that... Downloading.com... Sorry I mean Buying.com
DIrtySinatra is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 05:16 AM   #12
Fear
Knob Twiddler
Fear is a glorious beacon of lightFear is a glorious beacon of lightFear is a glorious beacon of lightFear is a glorious beacon of lightFear is a glorious beacon of light
San Francisco

Aw fuck, I want renoise so bad now. Did you get all of your sounds (bass, ambient synths, effects) off of renoise as well?

------------------
Dumb things come out of my noise hole.

This has been previously established.

Thank you.
Old 13-09-2012, 05:22 AM   #13
lungbutter13
Minor Glitch

No lol i made all them,dont think that using renoise will automatically give you a certain sound cuz it wont,took me 7 years to get that sound,renoise is very much from the ground up and a steep learning curve for people that havnt used a tracker b4.

------------------
Old 13-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #14
Fear
Knob Twiddler
San Francisco

Ah, I should have phrased that differently. I meant if Renoise had those capabilities to make those sounds. I.E., you didn't use another daw to synthesis them.

------------------

Thank you.
Old 13-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #15
VTMS
Sample Destroyer
VTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MC
MC Status: 8847272

@lungbutter13, gotta say I like your stuff. Very dark and very impressive.
VTMS is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #16
VTMS
Sample Destroyer
VTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear View Post
Ah, I should have phrased that differently. I meant if Renoise had those capabilities to make those sounds. I.E., you didn't use another daw to synthesis them.
Aside from the sampled drum programming obviously, as far as I know Reason has some very good and powerful synths in it. Then again you can (essentially) get any sound out of any synth if you know how to work it.
Old 13-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #17
lungbutter13
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear View Post
Ah ok,i get you now,yes all done in renoise,but you should understand that renoise is a blank canvas its not like other daws,its totally from the ground up.

------------------
Old 13-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #18
lungbutter13
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTMS View Post
Aside from the sampled drum programming obviously, as far as I know Reason has some very good and powerful synths in it. Then again you can (essentially) get any sound out of any synth if you know how to work it.
Thanks for the kind words first of all.Were talking about Renoise not Reason though.Renoise is a tracker,completely different to most daws,it runs vertically and is programmed using a hexadecimal numerical system.

------------------
Old 14-09-2012, 07:11 AM   #19
Fear
Knob Twiddler
San Francisco

Quote:
Ah ok,i get you now,yes all done in renoise,but you should understand that renoise is a blank canvas its not like other daws,its totally from the ground up.
I try to grapple with sound synthesis when I try to write something, unless I'm just doing it because I'm bored and want to write a song with presets. Still a novice, don't crucify me kneegrow. I really want to try out Renoise, and for damn good reason. I eventually aspire to make some intense breakcore, which I've heard is Renoise's main use. And the artists who use it, of course. But that's a weak reason, anyone that good can use whatever DAW.

I like your atmospheres. The interface color scheme is a nice touch to the video, too, haha.

------------------

Thank you.
Old 14-09-2012, 08:09 AM   #20
VTMS
Sample Destroyer

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words first of all.Were talking about Renoise not Reason though.Renoise is a tracker,completely different to most daws,it runs vertically and is programmed using a hexadecimal numerical system.
I don't know where I got Reason from, as I watched your youtube video and have tried Reason and used FastTracker 2 myself. Been a while though. Wonder if there would be any point to try a tracker nowadays. How would you say it differs from using Ableton for example. Aside from the obvious side/downwards scrolling arrangement and numerical notation?

Advertisements