where do I learn better synthesis?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 13-04-2016, 11:19 PM   #1
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 20360
where do I learn better synthesis?

I want to learn to make better sounds with abletons operator and analog synths and know how to use the audio effects better than I can now, is there a website that I can get better with this?

Advertisements

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 12:59 AM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538530
Thanked 6,952 Times in 4,946 Posts
Re: where do I learn better synthesis?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

A great series. Even if you don't want these particular sounds, you'll learn loads.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 02:52 AM   #3
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 21060

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

One of the first things I found over in the tutorials section after signing up here. I went from guestimating everything to actually knowing what the freaking tweaks did in one night, and there's a few good examples of how to do a lot with a little here too. I swear I've heard some of these sounds on major albums this decade, and you'll have an idea of how to make them on pretty much anything you can shake a stick at. I still like to re-watch it from time to time just for that soundtrack.
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to White Noise
Valk (10-10-2016)
Old 15-04-2016, 01:29 PM   #4
halford88
Minor Glitch
halford88 is a jewel in the roughhalford88 is a jewel in the roughhalford88 is a jewel in the roughhalford88 is a jewel in the rough
Milwaukee
MC Status: 310

You might check out syntorial. There was a thread here on it a few days ago, and it helped me a ton when it came to learning synthesis.
halford88 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 04:31 AM   #5
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7237279

The key really is to experiment. Also narrow your focus: Synthesis is a diverse field, and whether you want to make trance/EDM sounds or Morton Subotnick-esque bleepbloops, the approach will differ. Try to choose what you want to learn first, and chances are you'll get experience that can be applied elsewhere as well. Beyond that, having a platform to test things, such as Max or Reaktor really helps to understand what goes on, and how to utilize it.

I personally don't really like the Analog synth from Ableton/AAS. It just.. Does not sound particularly good, and does not have a great feature set either. Operator is, for just about all purposes, better. Analog does decent enough supersaws, I guess.

Last edited by Jaded; 25-04-2016 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: Deleting quoted post which I deleted ;)

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 01:54 PM   #6
MothSound
Radial Developer
MothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud of
Oxford
MC Status: 1210

There are a few tutorials on youtube, but mainly it's playing around with the synth long enough to understand what's going on.

Put quick a beat to it, mess with the synth and have fun. It doesn't have to be a grind. If you're using a digital synth try linking them to midi knob controllers and mess with them that way.

------------------
He lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived
MothSound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 05:12 AM   #7
Kyrpto
Knob Twiddler
Kyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to all
MC Status: 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by halford88 View Post
You might check out syntorial. There was a thread here on it a few days ago, and it helped me a ton when it came to learning synthesis.
Great little program. I believe if you purchase it you get free updates for life?
Kyrpto is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 12:27 PM   #8
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33060

A big plus 1000 for the Dean Friedman video..has this series since it was new..still have the VHS tapes around somewhere..

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 03:27 PM   #9
AdamThing
Regular Freak
AdamThing will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

a good way to learn is by doing. learn the basic parts that make up a synthesizer. id start with a two OSC softsynth with an LFO filter to experiment.
AdamThing is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 03:53 PM   #10
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 51910
Thanked 1,038 Times in 765 Posts

Re the learning by doing part... I found plugins that visualize things very helpful. Serum is one of the best in this regard (aside from being a genuinely awesome synth), as it is very visual. You see ADSR curve progression on the curve, LFO shapes, frequency profiles of filters, and spectrum displays of wavetables. A picture says more than 1000 words. Play around with some basic stuff there and plug in an oscilloscope. Mentally link what you see to what you hear.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 02:10 PM   #11
MikeyOSB
Knob Twiddler
MikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond repute
Armpit of the North
MC Status: 2160

I read a lot but I read very well. Youtube videos can help. That's how I learned to do Aggro vocals.

------------------
MikeyOSB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to MikeyOSB
Daggit (14-07-2017)
Old 30-04-2016, 09:53 AM   #12
SPIREVIEW
Learning The Ropes
SPIREVIEW is currently spamming hard
Northern Ireland
MC Status: 10

Operator is an FM synth which has a very different approach to subtractive synthesis, doing some research into what is the difference between the two will help you out as certain sounds are easier to achieve with one method over another. I like busyworksbeats tutorials but i agree with everyone else on this thread, learning by doing and experimenting will get you further than just watching a tutorial and copying what they are doing. once you have a basic understanding of synthesis you will start to find it easier to make the sounds that you hear in songs or in your head as you will understand how they are made
SPIREVIEW is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 10:29 AM   #13
U-235
Sample Destroyer
U-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond repute
Fields of Gold
MC Status: 6910

askvideo .com is an awesome website with video tutorials in every subject. You pay for a subscription either yearly or monthly but it is well worth it! Every DAW and technique, is represented. You have access to everything.
U-235 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 10:39 AM   #14
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts

There is no one-way-only to learn synthesis. You just have to turn knobs, read, watch, experiment, make mistakes, happy accidents, study others, make music/noise, trial and error, etc. It's baby-steps (or bigger steps, depending on how talented and easy-lerner you are) until you reach one plateau, then another, then another.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:52 AM   #15
Jimjimmy
Minor Glitch
Jimjimmy will become famous soon enough

It's hard at first for sure
Jimjimmy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:06 AM   #16
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8798

I think learning is in the DAW. Just finished making a 3xosc gabber in FL today. Synthesis end wasn't too grueling, but audio processing. ....a game of compressing and distorting.
jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:22 PM   #17
Radicalmusic
Learning The Ropes
Radicalmusic is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

A very big tip : Learn the basic , let your brain and feelings guide you , that's how good music is created.
Radicalmusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:32 PM   #18
BlindfoldKnobs
Minor Glitch
BlindfoldKnobs will become famous soon enoughBlindfoldKnobs will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Always start from a subtractive synth to learn the basics about oscillators, noise, filters, envelope generators (ADSR), sync, modulation. The Minimoog is the best place to start from IMHO (also a virtual one like the Monark is Ok). PCM / Wavetable synthesis is very similar apart from the oscillator section. Most complex are FM and granular, get into these only after digesting subtractive.
BlindfoldKnobs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:50 AM   #19
ViralSound
Regular Freak
ViralSound will become famous soon enough

i think you could find lot of tutorials in youtube
ViralSound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:34 AM   #20
Kyrpto
Knob Twiddler
Kyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to all
MC Status: 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by halford88 View Post
I can vouch for that. Syntorial is pretty to use and probably the easiest learning tool I've used since it's actually hands on.

Advertisements

------------------
Kyrpto is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote