Market yourself
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Tutorials Section Found or written an interesting tutorial recently? Share it here.

Old 09-03-2016, 03:38 AM   #1
masan671
Minor Glitch
masan671 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Market yourself

I have always wondered how do producers get in the music business? Where do you start? How does one get his foot on the door? Do you just spam your music to labels or hope that someone thats in the business stumbles upon your music and decides to bring you in? I live in San Diego and idk if they have a music scene for upcoming producers/composers or maybe I'm looking at the wrong place.

Advertisements

masan671 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:17 AM   #2
bellrocky
Learning The Ropes
bellrocky will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
Re: Market yourself

It's not about spamming. It's about fan base & popularity. For example, you have so many youtube stars, not signed with any big name but still everyone know them.
bellrocky is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 07:53 PM   #3
ATvrB
Minor Glitch
ATvrB is currently spamming hard
Living in Denmark
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by masan671 View Post
I have always wondered how do producers get in the music business? Where do you start? How does one get his foot on the door? Do you just spam your music to labels or hope that someone thats in the business stumbles upon your music and decides to bring you in? I live in San Diego and idk if they have a music scene for upcoming producers/composers or maybe I'm looking at the wrong place.
I would say that either they send music to labels (expect lots of rejection) or music labels find them on the platforms they use to share their music, in live events, etc.

The advice that I get everywhere is not to start sending music to labels too early before having produced lots lots of tracks, understand very well what kind of sound the label is going for. Every upcoming producer has a chance to get in the business no matter where, as long as the music is top quality.
ATvrB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 07:48 PM   #4
Rvrsal
Minor Glitch
Rvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 960

Definitely a huge subject in itself, but I think one of the important components is proving that your music can be popular on its own before getting a label involved.
One of the first things is getting blogs to cover your music to gain some exposure and building a decent fan base on your own. this can be along process when you're starting out because you are just starting to make connections with tastemakers but little by little you can start developing a relationship with a few to whom you can consistently promote your stuff.
One other thing is branding, make sure to have a consistent image as a producer and always have graphics to accompany your songs. Makes a big difference.
Really just tip of the iceberg stuff here but a good place to start IMO.
Rvrsal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 09:29 PM   #5
Vault O)))
Eternal Echoer
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Pen Island
MC Status: 27910

You have to go outside and meet people. I know, fuck that shit

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 02:04 PM   #6
NotApplicable
Microknight
NotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond repute
MA
MC Status: 2710

I am actually in the process of redoing my website. I haven't had much "stickiness" and need to hold visitors longer.

------------------
NotApplicable is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 04:17 AM   #7
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8648

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
Why? Why not just toss around optical confetti and let people use their heads?
jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jimmusician
Vault O))) (26-05-2017)
Old 16-06-2017, 09:39 AM   #8
Detroit-Berlin
Minor Glitch
Detroit-Berlin is a name known to allDetroit-Berlin is a name known to allDetroit-Berlin is a name known to allDetroit-Berlin is a name known to allDetroit-Berlin is a name known to allDetroit-Berlin is a name known to all
MC Status: 560

There's a lot of text on your homepage, keep it tight and simple.

People don't take the time to read through all those lines of text but they will read a couple of lines. Try to get them interested and give them an option to navigate to an other page if they want to know more.

A music player is a great way to keep them longer on your site, you can present them a mix of half an hour or longer and hope if they listen to the mix. Or you can present a two to three minute long promo/teaser/commercial.

Remember the time-span of keeping peoples attention is rather short.
Keeping them active on your site for a few minutes is already more than average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotApplicable View Post
I am actually in the process of redoing my website. I haven't had much "stickiness" and need to hold visitors longer.
Detroit-Berlin is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 04:01 PM   #9
soundmodel
Granular Poster
soundmodel has much to be proud ofsoundmodel has much to be proud ofsoundmodel has much to be proud ofsoundmodel has much to be proud ofsoundmodel has much to be proud ofsoundmodel has much to be proud ofsoundmodel has much to be proud ofsoundmodel has much to be proud of
Finland
MC Status: 1060

I have no commercial interest in music personally, but I've figured that you just need to get yourself out there. That first and secondly someone has to find your stuff commercially viable.

I mean, if you're just dealing with small labels then all of that can be very informal. Small labels seem to publish a lot less commercially viable music, but they do it for other reasons and they usually have very low costs in doing so.

But the world of big music companies is a lot different from small labels.

I think one also needs to decide, which path is right for one's own music.

It doesn't mean that only big companies publish good music. A lot smaller ones do as well, but they're simply catering for more specific groups of listeners.

------------------
soundmodel is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to soundmodel
Lotus_Jewel (04-07-2017)
Old 17-06-2017, 04:21 PM   #10
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia
MC Status: 2760

Quote:
hahaha

------------------
Mario D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 07:48 PM   #11
Sobia6464
Soundwave Mangler
Sobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1310

Quote:
And here folks, we have the reason that I don't do most things in life.

All seriousness, you have to get out there and enjoy yourself. Ironically, it seems those who go in search of fame and fortune never find it.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
Its not the vst that makes the man but the man, that makes the vst.
Sobia6464 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Sobia6464
Lotus_Jewel (04-07-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 08:56 PM   #12
Lotus_Jewel
Granular Poster
Lotus_Jewel has a brilliant futureLotus_Jewel has a brilliant futureLotus_Jewel has a brilliant futureLotus_Jewel has a brilliant futureLotus_Jewel has a brilliant futureLotus_Jewel has a brilliant futureLotus_Jewel has a brilliant futureLotus_Jewel has a brilliant futureLotus_Jewel has a brilliant futureLotus_Jewel has a brilliant futureLotus_Jewel has a brilliant future
Earth
MC Status: 1560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobia6464 View Post
And here folks, we have the reason that I don't do most things in life.

All seriousness, you have to get out there and enjoy yourself. Ironically, it seems those who go in search of fame and fortune never find it.
ahh yes, i can relate to this. Sometimes if you just ignore the fact that you want money, bitches, and guns n shit, and just focus on having fun, connecting with people in a genuine way, you may just find yourself surrounded by these dreams. The intention... is what Im careful with now. be specific... and be genuine for the fun. fuck all that money and fake fame shit... that changes people left and right.

this was a great thread... hope the swearing isnt much of an issue, I assume we are dealing with adults here so... my apologies if i offend. Marketing yourself is a science. anyone can do it... but your music has to be good, not perfect, but likable and enjoyable for people to listen to, "this music has to be heard" type attitude.

fanbase... what the hell is that? i used to have like three facebook, myspace, plurspace, and much more when it wasnt even as popular and i wish i was mature at the time to have had all my shit together but i wasnt... and time passed... i dont use anything social media really... im rather disconnected that way with the people of this earth. Im connected in a different way, and that proposes problems on its own.

I always thought just being there, in what ever was new, what was the talk of the town... that is where you want to be but not in the way where you are whoring yourself for vinyl contracts... let them come to you, kinda of attitude. besides your music is after all that good, and it must be heard.

shape your attitude for success... Ive been learning how others have done it in the industry from their interviews etc... and seeing how times have changed, we all possess the skills and tools to do it ourselves.

i used to have a small fan base of people i never met, never heard my music, etc... it was weird. i dont like being in the spot light, but have to change because im wanting to produce a product and sell it myself...

getting an llc is helpful, and what ive heard, getting about to make your own label at first can be helpful, if you have all your eggs made already and organized, ready for display, sale, and use. Some people have spent their whole lives improving their skills while performing, and some who practice till perfection before they are released into the wealth of possibility.

idk who I am... or what I do, I just want to make people dance and feel the things I have felt, and take them to the places I have been. To help them see the things I have seen. idk if that is possible...

how do I market that? a deep philosophical or spiritual experience, a realization, a connectedness of everything... ?
Lotus_Jewel is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:19 PM   #13
hendu12
Minor Glitch
hendu12 has a spectacular aura abouthendu12 has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

Quote:
Haha, what a story Mark!
hendu12 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 09:37 PM   #14
TheSampleThief
Analog Lurker
TheSampleThief is a glorious beacon of lightTheSampleThief is a glorious beacon of lightTheSampleThief is a glorious beacon of lightTheSampleThief is a glorious beacon of lightTheSampleThief is a glorious beacon of lightTheSampleThief is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by masan671 View Post
In terms of getting your music signed:
- I sent out demo's for hours a day to dozens of labels (and checked out their style of music beforehand, so my tracks would fit). No1 is gonna find you and sign your tracks out of the blue, at least that chance is very slim, even if your music is good.

- I'd probably focus on smaller labels with sub 5k followers on soundcloud, or at least not ONLY write to big labels, cuz you'll wait for an answer (if it ever comes) for weeks and months.

- Most labels like Private soundcloud links and a mail with some info about yourself, why you chose this label etc., at least thats what I've heard. ^^

Getting Gigs:
Talk to party-organizers, write mails, network with like-minded people (for example at a club, event etc.).

A good way to get some buzz:
- I've found that my remixes of well-known tracks (had to take them down of soundcloud cuz they weren't official), got like a bazillion more hits than my original tracks, which makes sense of course. So doing remixes is a good way to get some followers and likes and stuff.
You can for example search out remix-contests and do remixes, often they even allow you to post them on soundcloud (no downloads enabled of course and you're not allowed to sell the tracks either), even if you're not the winner of the contest. If you are the winner, even better! ^^

Last edited by TheSampleThief; 13-07-2017 at 09:42 PM..

------------------
TheSampleThief is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 09:02 PM   #15
Tsachi
i don't understand
Tsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9560

WATCH YOUR LANFGUAGE this is a fAMLIY WEBSITE

I know what you're all really asking. You're asking how to get signed by Warp. Well I have some info for you:
If you want to get on Warp Records without your music sounding crazy and borderline unlistenable, its. NOT GOING TO. HAPPEN

So you wanna be Pritchard Jams? Squarepushe? Well the boat's sailed on that long voyage!

I actually don't know how to get out there sorry for shitpost

Advertisements

------------------

Lol wut happened to the chatbox
Tsachi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote