Headphones and driving
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:00 AM   #1
tokian
Analog Lurker
tokian will become famous soon enoughtokian will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110
Headphones and driving

Hello guys. I want to be as brief as possible.

1. How can i drive AKG K702 to the max with a budget of 250euro?
2. How can i check the health of my headphones? (they are brand new with somewhere 20hours play and i want to make sure that they are working as the supposed to, cause i think my ears got used to the sound and i am no longer excited by their quailty)
3.Does driving them with a poor build-in amp destroys the headphones? I know they wont work to their max potential but is it harmful for the drivers or smth?

If anyone can answer at least one those questions i would be thankful for a lifetime thanks

Advertisements

tokian is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:25 AM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564780
Thanked 7,477 Times in 5,279 Posts
Re: Headphones and driving

Just subscribing as I have the same headphones. Have been thinking of getting an amp from Schitt though...they have a decent one for 99USD.

FWIW I fall in love with my 702s more and more as I use them. I have hundreds of hours on mine at this point. Personally one of my favorite things about them is that I don't think they have any bass boost or electronic/acoustic tricks to boost bass. While some might find this fustrating or "less fun" once I learned what bass should sound like on them I've been able to easily gain stage and EQ my low end. Sub frequencies are virtually not represented; however, I'm tending away from songs that are complex below 150hz...

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:24 AM   #3
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

Don't headphone and drive, it's the law

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 04:01 AM   #4
Tsachi
IDMf Artist
Tsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MC
MC Status: 13110

^ That's how I read the title too XD

Pretty sure a cheap DAC and amp won't damage your cans, but playing shit really loud obviously can. Signal quality, on the other hand, won't be able to do physical harm to anything really. The way DAC's work in your computer/interface/phone/whatever nowadays include some sort of limiting I bet (don't quote me on that), same with the amp. Maybe even the headphones themselves, just like a lot of mid-tier monitors have built-in compression and limiting. A low-quality artifact-ridden signal won't mess up stuff.

I have no experience with quality amps and whatnot but I do know when a converter is bad.

You can check your headphone's health by... listening to them I think? If you're used to them that's probably good because you aren't trying to guess how things translate as much, you simply intuit. If that's the case, your 'phones are in good health. If you start to hear rattling or distortion that wasn't there before, then you know what thaaat meeeaans!

------------------
Tsachi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Tsachi
tokian (01-03-2016)
Old 01-03-2016, 05:36 AM   #5
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 28310

At only 20 hours in, I'd hold off on forming impressions of your headphones just yet. Not everyone agrees, but I believe that headphones (or speakers) need about 100 hours to "burn in" and take on the sound that they're going to give you for the long haul. I actually take my headphones, plug them into my FM receiver, set it to a little louder than I would actually listen, set a timer, and then walk away until that timer hits 100 hours. I check to make sure the headphones aren't getting dead air and occasionally change the station as I walk by, but for 100 hours, that's it. Then I start listening.
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:06 PM   #6
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokian View Post
1. How can i drive AKG K702 to the max with a budget of 250euro?
With the best cables and dedicated amp that you can get for 250€. I just bought a super-cheap Little Bear P2-1 amp from China, which works great as a travelling/portable studio amp.
Quote:
2. How can i check the health of my headphones? (they are brand new with somewhere 20hours play and i want to make sure that they are working as the supposed to, cause i think my ears got used to the sound and i am no longer excited by their quailty)
Don't worry too much. If they sound good, they sound good. Unless you have damaged the diaphragm on one side and it is broken.
Quote:
3.Does driving them with a poor build-in amp destroys the headphones? I know they wont work to their max potential but is it harmful for the drivers or smth?
No. Just get a dedicated (and strong enough) headphone amp and just run with it. You are worrying too much. And don't listen to music at excessive volume. Take care of your ears.

Don't headphones and drive.

Last edited by Evelon; 01-03-2016 at 12:13 PM..

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:56 PM   #7
tokian
Analog Lurker

indeed i worry to much . maybe cause i am pessimist sometimes. anws thanks for your answers . i believe burnin in its real btw ,but i would like to burn them in by using them . I also agree with relic about their "bass thing".
Old 02-03-2016, 11:38 AM   #8
SWIM_DEEP
Analog Lurker
SWIM_DEEP is a glorious beacon of lightSWIM_DEEP is a glorious beacon of lightSWIM_DEEP is a glorious beacon of lightSWIM_DEEP is a glorious beacon of lightSWIM_DEEP is a glorious beacon of lightSWIM_DEEP is a glorious beacon of light
Riga
MC Status: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Just subscribing as I have the same headphones. Have been thinking of getting an amp from Schitt though...they have a decent one for 99USD.

FWIW I fall in love with my 702s more and more as I use them. I have hundreds of hours on mine at this point. Personally one of my favorite things about them is that I don't think they have any bass boost or electronic/acoustic tricks to boost bass. While some might find this fustrating or "less fun" once I learned what bass should sound like on them I've been able to easily gain stage and EQ my low end. Sub frequencies are virtually not represented; however, I'm tending away from songs that are complex below 150hz...
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

this is a review on them from the consumer perspective by MQBHD, he points out that low frequencies have been boosted by up to 3 DB. I'm looking to buy them.
SWIM_DEEP is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:18 PM   #9
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

^Well, they sound way less bass-y than other headphones I've used owned by other people. I would also note that they will probably sound better with an amp. In your headphone thread you were looking for something that doesn't need an amp. Also, they don't rotate like DJ headphones.

Also fwiw, found a bunch of different reviewers stating the 702s and 7xxs are tuned differently even though they have the same driver. Unfortunately AKG's website doesn't even list the AKG7xx anymore, so I can't get the specs on them.

I wouldn't use these as DJ headphones personally.

Last edited by relic; 02-03-2016 at 05:30 PM..

------------------
Old 02-03-2016, 08:34 PM   #10
tokian
Analog Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
^Well, they sound way less bass-y than other headphones I've used owned by other people. I would also note that they will probably sound better with an amp. In your headphone thread you were looking for something that doesn't need an amp. Also, they don't rotate like DJ headphones.

Also fwiw, found a bunch of different reviewers stating the 702s and 7xxs are tuned differently even though they have the same driver. Unfortunately AKG's website doesn't even list the AKG7xx anymore, so I can't get the specs on them.

I wouldn't use these as DJ headphones personally.

the fact is that i use them for mixing and producing . So im actually looking for an amp around 250 euro that can drive them properly . Also i forgot to mention that its essential for the amp to have no colouration , boosts , etc... something that makes my search for an amp even more difficult . Are headphone amps made for production ?any enlightment ?
Old 02-03-2016, 09:11 PM   #11
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Well, I just ordered a Schiit Audio Magni 2. I can let you know how I like it next week. Check them out. The price is right and they have a good rep.

I'm sure some people would like the 702s for DJing. The way they are constructed is what would annoy me mostly.

------------------
Old 03-03-2016, 01:48 AM   #12
stray medicine
Binch
stray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MC
Minneapolis
MC Status: 19860

driving while wearing headphones is illegal ya dingus
stray medicine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:16 AM   #13
tokian
Analog Lurker

is the schiit audio mangi 2 meant to deliver the sound as it is ? also i think you can find the specs of the pair akg k702 online . Many people say that its hard to drive them to their max because of their high specs.... anw thanks for letting me know relic. cant wait to hear your impressions. its looks just fine . hope its the one im looking for

p.s got it guys i will never dive with headphones on hahaha cheers.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:33 AM   #14
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6906609
Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,148 Posts

Came to read about headphones and driving. Left disappointed
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
stray medicine (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 07:47 AM   #15
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 28310

Quote:
is the schiit audio mangi 2 meant to deliver the sound as it is ?.
Pretty sure all the stuff from Schiit that doesn't have tubes is +/- .1 db from 20 hz to 20khz and very low distortion, but I can't quote exact specs off the top of my head. In short, yes.
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:08 AM   #16
Bergnermd
Soundscaper
Bergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond repute
Wisconsin
MC Status: 4210

I like the title of this thread because I use my "full covered" Headphones while driving all the time

I do not have a working radio and my passenger side widow is always open lust a crack so it produces the most annoying sound while I am driving down the high way

------------------
Bergnermd is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:54 AM   #17
tokian
Analog Lurker

so thanks guys. any further suggestions would be highly appreciated . As far as i realise the only thing i have to "worry" about is getting myself the right gear to pair my headphones with. Obviously not a tube amp , and something that its 'meant" to bring u the sound as it is.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:59 PM   #18
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Yes, as far as I know the none-tube offerings are meant as low distortion devices for studio use. I've seen the recommended many times in that capacity, the none-tube offerings. I don't see why the 702's would be harder to drive than anything else, but Schiit audio claim their headphone amps will drive anything but a couple very high end auidophile headphones.

Last edited by relic; 05-03-2016 at 10:19 PM..

------------------
Old 06-03-2016, 07:04 AM   #19
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

The AKG 702 and the Magni 2 is a great combo. The Magni 2 really increased the definition of the 702s...I hesitate to say it increased the headphone's clarity, because they aren't muddy to begin with. I'm having trouble placing my finger on how they Magni 2 improved the 702s. Everything just seems more present and forward.

------------------
Old 06-03-2016, 07:53 AM   #20
tokian
Analog Lurker

so you have it already? thanks for the feedback relic.

yes the akg702 are already clear enough. I think i will go for it. Feel free to keep us up to date.

Last edited by tokian; 06-03-2016 at 10:30 AM..

Advertisements