What sampler should I get? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:42 PM   #21
djoxygen
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
djoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MC
Fuck you nosy cunt... lol USA
MC Status: 9390679
Re: What sampler should I get?

wait a minute i read on a sp-404 review that a memroy card (i'm assuming sd) but regardless if u use a bib memory card your sample time restriction isnt really a problem anymore. is this true for all samplers? [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
if i get a big memory card for the electribe will it eliminate the sample internal memory restriction, and increase the amount of samples i can use bc i have more time?

Advertisements

------------------
>>>DJ OXYGEN<<<
>>>JOIN OR DIE<<<

"and the decades of what appears to have been unnecessary fearmongering"
djoxygen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:51 PM   #22
KrisM
Ghostly
KrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond repute
TX
MC Status: 7964

It depends on the sampler and whether it can play files directly from the card or if it has to load them into RAM first. If it has to load them into RAM you'll have the same limitations.

FYI:
SP-404 = CF
SP-404SX = SD

I know the Octatrack can play long files from the CF card via Static Machines, for example. If I wanted to record a really long sample on it, I'd adjust the RAM settings to one slot to make that sample and then reallocate it back to all the slots.

------------------
Meh.
KrisM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 08:57 AM   #23
djoxygen
djoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
It depends on the sampler and whether it can play files directly from the card or if it has to load them into RAM first. If it has to load them into RAM you'll have the same limitations.

FYI:
SP-404 = CF
SP-404SX = SD

I know the Octatrack can play long files from the CF card via Static Machines, for example. If I wanted to record a really long sample on it, I'd adjust the RAM settings to one slot to make that sample and then reallocate it back to all the slots.
in an ideal world, we would all have octatracks i bet. but not on my salary lol

------------------
>>>DJ OXYGEN<<<
>>>JOIN OR DIE<<<

Old 14-02-2015, 02:38 PM   #24
Teachtaire
Learning The Ropes
Teachtaire is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Old EMU samplers sound great and are very cheap on ebay btw.
Teachtaire is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 10:51 AM   #25
aikighost
Lemon Eater
aikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MC
Reading
MC Status: 12852260

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoxygen View Post
in an ideal world, we would all have octatracks i bet. but not on my salary lol
I know Ill sound like a broken record to some but I truly and honesty prefer my MPC1000 to the octatrack I had before selling. And now I've installed JJOS XL2 I'm even happier with my MPC.

------------------
The ultimate Law: All general statements are false.
aikighost is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 11:03 AM   #26
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269478408
Thanked 3,096 Times in 2,049 Posts

I'm thinking of reducing my setup to just Midi keyboard, MPC1000 and blofeld, the last 2 financed by selling the A4.
But then I wouldn't know what to do with Maschine and I love that bitch...

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 09:13 AM   #27
magavan
Soundwave Mangler
magavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MC
MC Status: 125540

Quote:
wait a minute i read on a sp-404 review that a memroy card (i'm assuming sd) but regardless if u use a bib memory card your sample time restriction isnt really a problem anymore. is this true for all samplers? [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
if i get a big memory card for the electribe will it eliminate the sample internal memory restriction, and increase the amount of samples i can use bc i have more time?
Nope. It doesn't work like that for electribes or MPCs, or most other hardware samplers.

I'd say get Maschine MKII.
magavan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 03:55 PM   #28
aikighost
Lemon Eater
aikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MC
Reading
MC Status: 12852260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
I'm thinking of reducing my setup to just Midi keyboard, MPC1000 and blofeld, the last 2 financed by selling the A4.
But then I wouldn't know what to do with Maschine and I love that bitch...
Oh I dont know the A4 is great sample fodder for the MPC and the reverb is really great IMHO. Run a couple of the MPC single outs through it and INSTANT BIGNESS!!!!

------------------
The ultimate Law: All general statements are false.
aikighost is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 04:36 PM   #29
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.

A4 has the best reverb I've heard in a hardware synth, beating some software ones too...

------------------
Old 18-02-2015, 09:14 PM   #30
KrisM
Ghostly
KrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond repute
TX
MC Status: 7964

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikighost View Post
I know Ill sound like a broken record to some but I truly and honesty prefer my MPC1000 to the octatrack I had before selling. And now I've installed JJOS XL2 I'm even happier with my MPC.
+1 same here, I only talk about the Octatrack because it's what I know; I've never owned an MPC so I can't comment on it or JJOS from experience

I kind of think owning a 1000 and Octatrack would be 'modern' sampler heaven, though. Powerful and compact setup, each one complimenting the other's shortcomings

------------------
Meh.
KrisM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 09:41 PM   #31
Skrillex
IDMf Artist
Skrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MC
San Fran
MC Status: 69610
Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VultureEye View Post
So, I'm saving up money and looking to buy my first hardware sampler, and I can honestly say I'm really not sure what I should get.

Basically, I want to do with the following with it.

1. Use it as a live performance tool. Not all of my songs are built off of straight loops so I would like one that preferably had a decent amount of memory per sample, as well as one that can house a lot of samples simultaneously;
2. Use it as a production tool. Preferably has a decent amount of effects to play with and an easy, intuitive interface. Chopping samples would hopefully be convenient and easy as well.
3. Have capacity as a recorder, I have a mic and am willing to buy cables and what not to make it work. But I want to be able to record sounds into it and for it to be reasonably portable.
4. Be able to hook it up to my computer, again willing to purchase cables. But I want to be able to transport samples from my computer into the sampler, and be able to transfer sounds from the sampler into my computer.

Right now I'm looking at the Roland SP 404 and its variants, but does anyone have any suggestions on what I should get?

Thanks!

the only reason i'd even personally think of getting sampler is to downgrade audio, use to exploit its limitations, and just to say i have one. also didnt read the rest of this thread so apologize if this has been said.

the maschine is a solid production tool that can be mapped to DAWs other than its own(i've done it to ableton, so take with a grain of salt here. Im sure others would know about other daws compatibility.) it's pretty straightforward to play, and can run inside other daw enviroments not just as a midi controller but also running maschines daw software in the host. IIRC, you can also set ableton to launch midi clips/audio through the maschine, treating it like a launchpad.

why go through so much cable bits? do you have anything in particular in mind you want to record?

maschines mk2 mikro's are cheap as hell now, and pretty with the lights and all, I did a half assed ebay search and saw you could get a maschine as well as a tascam field recorder for recording for about the same as a roland sp404 would cost you.

really though, imo i'd only get the 404 if I wanted it's specific sound character, not for it's functionality. portability is it's only real plus I see it has over maschine, even then, just use your laptop, maschine comes with 2 licenses for that reason

------------------
( ु⚈᷁௰⚈᷁ ू)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareTheCircle View Post
It sounds like two records playing at once .
Skrillex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 12:51 AM   #32
Autokinoton
Minor Glitch
Autokinoton is a name known to allAutokinoton is a name known to allAutokinoton is a name known to allAutokinoton is a name known to allAutokinoton is a name known to allAutokinoton is a name known to all
MC Status: 560

I'm going to jump in with more support for the Octatrack. It's a hell of a lot of fun to play with, p-locks are really useful and it's not really that much more expensive than the Maschine Studio. I can't post proper links yet but this vid will show you some of how it can be used in an on the fly context. /watch?v=Gs3DydT5pdY. If only I could afford it, I'd go to an all Elektron setup I will warn you though, you gotta try it out in person before you buy. I know plenty of people who work wonderfully with the Maschine but I just didn't click with mine and I end up using it more to trigger clips and control effects than a true musical tool. Conversely, I hopped on the Octatrack and just "got" it. The best gear is the gear that won't let you personally stop playing with it.

Last edited by Autokinoton; 22-03-2015 at 12:57 AM..
Autokinoton is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 01:51 AM   #33
tomkillsjerry
Analog Lurker
tomkillsjerry is a splendid one to beholdtomkillsjerry is a splendid one to beholdtomkillsjerry is a splendid one to beholdtomkillsjerry is a splendid one to beholdtomkillsjerry is a splendid one to beholdtomkillsjerry is a splendid one to beholdtomkillsjerry is a splendid one to behold
Dallas tx
MC Status: 760

I've been using a maschine studio in tandem with the komplete kontrol and the effect it's had on my productions was dramatic. I work so much faster. I also travel alot for work so I grab my maschine laptop audio interface and s 29 and I've got a mobile rig with endless possibilities.

------------------
tomkillsjerry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 05:10 AM   #34
djoxygen

it's official. this is my sampler i'm buying. this is it! my live tool SO IN LOVE!!!!!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
>>>DJ OXYGEN<<<
>>>JOIN OR DIE<<<

Old 31-05-2015, 11:13 AM   #35
Automageddon
Administrator
Less kids, more synths.

Maschine Studio is a fucking beast, but I fell out of love with it, don't know why.
On the other I'm in my Octatrack honeymoon phase and that shit is mindblowingly flexible and powerful, if you like the Elektron way of programming.

------------------
Old 31-05-2015, 12:28 PM   #36
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222283184
Thanked 2,640 Times in 1,759 Posts

Quote:
it's official. this is my sampler i'm buying. this is it! my live tool SO IN LOVE!!!!!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
just be careful man, hes doing so much less than it looks

these machines are so simple that it took me months just to work out how to make music with them. i know the 404 inside out so please do ask me any questions. its not even really designed to make music believe it or not, just fire off one shots really! thats all hes doing, loading 1 track up per pad and just playing them with some very limited fx on top. he has a couple of one shots like at the start. just be careful and get second hand good quality so you can re sell!!

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:49 AM   #37
djoxygen

what are my options for samplers that play in sync for the tempo? triggering a group of samples that plays in time so it transitions well for a live setup such as mixing a dance show?

------------------
>>>DJ OXYGEN<<<
>>>JOIN OR DIE<<<

Old 04-07-2015, 02:57 PM   #38
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199648418
Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,204 Posts

Quote:
what are my options for samplers that play in sync for the tempo? triggering a group of samples that plays in time so it transitions well for a live setup such as mixing a dance show?
Any sampler with midi in.

Any sampler with midi out if its going to be your master clock.

Most will have both.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:15 PM   #39
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 32660

Quote:
Are you asking about a slicing option to play loops back at different tempos? Or just playing single shots in time?
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:27 AM   #40
djoxygen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
Are you asking about a slicing option to play loops back at different tempos? Or just playing single shots in time?
i want to keep a consistent tempo for the whole set, be able to change the tempo if i like, and idk what one-shots means :/

Advertisements

------------------
>>>DJ OXYGEN<<<
>>>JOIN OR DIE<<<